The MT-07 Forum

New rider from a little town by the name of Lompoc, CA

darkassangel

Howdy everyone! You might have heard of this town from the Fast and the Furious (can't remember which one) But just wanted to say hello to everyone. I purchased my 2015 Fz-07 about three weeks ago and she's already got 1300 miles on her:) this is my very first motorcycle and I am loving every minute of it!!!!!!!! I have made a couple of noob mistakes but thankfully nothing bad has happened. Any new rider tips you guys can help me with would be appreciated  

• Premium Member

Welcome. I used to be stationed at Vandenberg from 2001-2008. Very familiar with Lompoc. Maybe you should ride down south a d we can hit up hwy 33 in Ojai.

Good job piling on the miles! Do you have proper gear? Have you taken the basic rider course? I imagine you have or are going to. Scan, Evaluate, Execute and NO TARGET FIXATION! Think about what's going on around you and the road conditions. Don't trust that other people will do the right thing. Despite this, riding a motorcycle is a lot of fun and I hope you enjoy it for years to come.

• Premium Member

The art of motorcycling is mostly self taught, but you can pick up a few things from guys like Keith Code. I'd grab twist of the wrist 2 or some similar literature. You need something to do when not riding anyway.

Otherwise keep an eye on your bike. Maintain it well, inspect it thoroughly and often and she will not soon let you down.

Everything went braap.

I'm using a Bell Rs-1 helmet. An Icon jacket and some alpine star gloves. I need to buy some boots and pants. And yes I took the safety course got my license and then purchased the bike:)
Question.. Did the oil change at 600 miles. When should I do the next!?

• Premium Member

I waited till 4000 like the manual says. Some people may tell you sooner because they have excessive OCD. That's what the oil filter is there for.

• Premium Member

You're not going to hurt anything by waiting. You're only going to waste money changing it early. No matter what one person may say, they feel better doing so just to get the monkey off their back. I got my bike in March 2015 and already have 8200 miles following recommended change intervals by the manual.

Archived