The MT-07 Forum

Video Shows Texas Driver Swerving Into Passing Motorcycle

ornery

Editor’s note: The video contains profanity. Viewer discretion advised.
If this has already been posted, sorry.  Mod can delete it.  Can't find YouTube video for this.
Edit: Just found a nice HD copy:

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LreWfR_p__M]

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

Yea I saw this video on another website.  It's just a reminder of how vulnerable we are on motorcycles.  I hope they send this guy to jail on attempted murder.  Thankfully the rider and his passenger both survived.  

• Premium Member

Hmmm. Well, double passing over a double yellow line is stupid in the first place. If that guy actually did get stung by a wasp that caused him to swerve at just the wrong time, then I'd say he's off the hook entirely and the rider will be held responsible. If not, then the old guy is in for a world of hurt from the court.

It is sad and disheartening that people pick and choose which laws they feel they can disregard. While people will happily break the speed limit on a daily basis, one guy who decided to pass the white car for (allegedly) driving 20mph below the speed limit by passing a double yellow gets called out on his actions and further more people even say he deserved it (various comments from other sites)?! WTF people?

Your best judgement and common sense with the regard for safety should be able to override any traffic laws. If someone is driving 40mph in a 60mph zone, that is FAR MORE DANGEROUS than passing a double yellow line when it is all clear. What are we to do in such a case? Follow the douche for however long going 20mph under the speed limit? Is that what you will honestly do because of two yellow lines in the ground telling you the opposite what your eyes and brain is telling you? And if you decide to do this for a few miles, and he finally turns at an intersection, I will marvel at you as you start driving 70mph to make up for lost time as an example of the all too common hypocrisy of the self-righteous.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

That driver should get sent to jail for attempted murder. You can clearly see from his reactions that he did that on purpose. If it was by accident because he was stung by a bee then I believe his reaction would be much different and would have been more concern for the motorcyclist. He used the "double yellow" as an excuse to commit his crime maybe because he doesn't like motorcyclists in general. There are those who give us riders a bad rap but the general public should not stereotype us. The motorcyclist is wrong for crossing the double yellow (maybe should be fine for it) but it should not justify the cager for purposely hitting him and getting away with it. If he is allowed to get away with this then it would only send a wrong message to the rest of the public that it's okay to hurt us motorcyclist if we break the rule. That in itself is dangerous because most cagers don't even know that it is legal to lane split in some states. Bottom line is, it's still a life that the cager is dealing with.

pineappleunderthesea

Yeah, the wasp thing is an obvious lie, I'm sure there is no welt from the "sting", that's a deliberate swerve right there the way he goes sharply out then sharply back in. Some people become entitled a-holes when they drive (or ride), and get furious at the actions of others and trying to teach them "a lesson".

Driver in viral video wreck charged with aggravated assault
http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local/2015/10/19/driver-in-viral-video-wreck-wreck-charged-with-assault/74240788/

We asked Crum if he would like the chance to apologize.

"To her," he said, referring to Sanders' girlfriend. "But to him, no. Because he was doing something illegal."

• Premium Member

"Assault with a deadly weapon is usually a felony punishable by one to twenty years in prison, depending on the specific provisions of each state’s sentencing statute or sentencing guidelines."

William Crum should get 40 years for his 2 counts. Then the despicable curmudgeon would die alone and in prison. Possibly after being sodomized on a regular basis.

Everything went braap.

Yeah the driver got charged with aggregated assault with a deadly weapon. The rider got charged with illegal passing and invalid license(I wonder what that's about).

I never pass on double yellows because is just flat out unsafe and like in the video you can piss off the wrong person.

That guy is a piece of trash. So are all of the commenters I've seen post everywhere saying the biker "got what he deserved", and other garbage like that. Every single driver breaks traffic laws at some point in their lives. Whether it's speeding, turning right on red where "No Turn on Red" is posted, running a light, or passing in a no passing zone, nobody deserves to die because they broke a traffic law. I hate, hate, hate people who feel it's their job to police the roads. My biggest driving pet-peeve is people who won't move out of the left lane, but then speed up to 85 - 90 mph when you finally get a place to go around them. Why can't people just worry about themselves? Put down your phone, drive your car, stay right pass left, and if somebody passes you because you're driving too slow, let them. Especially somebody on a bike. If I pass you, you will never see me again. Why piss somebody off and force them to stay behind you? Some people just get off on pissing off other drivers with their passive aggressive b.s. I hope that old bastard spends the rest of his life in jail.

Oh, and the guy that was on the bike that crashed posted in the comments section of one of the places where the video was posted. He said the old guy had no insurance, his car wasn't registered, and he lived in a trailer and has no money. His girlfriend was facing possible amputation of her arm, she has 3 kids and will be out of work for an extended period of time, and they will be getting zero compensation from the other driver. They are basically screwed.

bmwpowere36m3
It is sad and disheartening that people pick and choose which laws they feel they can disregard. While people will happily break the speed limit on a daily basis, one guy who decided to pass the white car for (allegedly) driving 20mph below the speed limit by passing a double yellow gets called out on his actions and further more people even say he deserved it (various comments from other sites)?! WTF people? 
Your best judgement and common sense with the regard for safety should be able to override any traffic laws. If someone is driving 40mph in a 60mph zone, that is FAR MORE DANGEROUS than passing a double yellow line when it is all clear. What are we to do in such a case? Follow the douche for however long going 20mph under the speed limit? Is that what you will honestly do because of two yellow lines in the ground telling you the opposite what your eyes and brain is telling you? And if you decide to do this for a few miles, and he finally turns at an intersection, I will marvel at you as you start driving 70mph to make up for lost time as an example of the all too common hypocrisy of the self-righteous.

Technically it's the speed LIMIT, doesn't mean you have to travel at it. That's why on some highways/interstates they have a posted minimum speed as well.

Granted it gets me frustrated when people are going much slower, but crossing a double yellow is illegal and at your own risk. Plus it's a country road, single lane, what's the harm in going 40 in a 60...

Obviously the motorcyclist broke the law, but it isn't the responsibility of citizens to "enforce" them either. Same mentality with driving in the left lane at the speed limit and not yielding...

• Premium Member
Obviously the motorcyclist broke the law, but it isn't the responsibility of citizens to "enforce" them either.  
That "I don't care" attitude is beyond me.  
It's this one-sided thinking that I don't understand. Like all the mentions above on cars breaking the law, don't they think to turn the same thought process around on themselves? If they were to cross the double yellow, and some other vehicle came to take them out for doing so, do you think they'd like that?

BLOWS MY MIND.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member

FYI, if you think about it, the drive "BROKE" the same law just to hit them...

FYI, if you think about it, the drive "BROKE" the same law just to hit them...

This was my thought. Cager used the excuse and was mad about crossing the double yellow, when he did just that to potentially murder these 2 people.......smdh

87' Honda VFR 700 F2 (sold)
03' Honda CBR F4I (donated)
05' Yamaha R1 (sold)
15' FZ-o7

• Premium Member

I was in no way excusing the behavior of the driver. If he did do that on purpose (and it sure looks like he did), then I hope they throw the book at him, regardless of his age. I was simply stating that that what the rider did was also dangerous; passing two cars at once over a double yellow. I would've likely done the same.

bmwpowere36m3
Obviously the motorcyclist broke the law, but it isn't the responsibility of citizens to "enforce" them either.  
That "I don't care" attitude is beyond me.  
It's this one-sided thinking that I don't understand. Like all the mentions above on cars breaking the law, don't they think to turn the same thought process around on themselves? If they were to cross the double yellow, and some other vehicle came to take them out for doing so, do you think they'd like that?

BLOWS MY MIND.

Not sure what you mean... I meant by citizens enforcing laws, for example: those who stay in the left lane at the speed limit and don't yield. Their reasoning, I'm traveling the speed limit, so you shouldn't be passing or traveling faster. I don't agree with it.

bmwpowere36m3
I was in no way excusing the behavior of the driver. If he did do that on purpose (and it sure looks like he did), then I hope they throw the book at him, regardless of his age. I was simply stating that that what the rider did was also dangerous; passing two cars at once over a double yellow. I would've likely done the same.

+1

Both are at fault for different reasons... the problem for us riders is the consequences are more severe. If that rider had been in a car, passing on a double yellow I doubt he'd have suffered the same injuries. Still be breaking the law, but that's another story.

• Premium Member

I get what you're saying @bmwpowere36m3. I quoted you because I agree.

I guess I understood it a bit differently initially, after reading the rest of the thread.
This driver hit them to "enforce" the law since he didn't like what they were doing.

We asked Crum if he would like the chance to apologize.

"To her," he said, referring to Sanders' girlfriend. "But to him, no. Because he was doing something illegal."

That's a wrap in my book. "Because he was doing something illegal" pretty much says he feels the guy deserved the punishment he dished out so it was definitely done on purpose. 
I can't believe people making something out of what the bikers did. If you see someone break a law you have the right to report it if you want but you don't have the right to act like some yahoo vigilante and dish out whatever punishment you deem fit! Personally, I think everyone has knowingly broken a law at least one time or another (probably a small infraction) so no one has any room to talk or point fingers over an small infraction that caused no harm. Do they deserve to die for crossing a double yellow? Lets see, when was the last time a judge handed out a death sentence for crossing a double yellow ......... hmmmm, EFFING NEVER!!! That's some extreme shet and people want to point out minor traffic infractions that didn't cause the accident ... UN-EFFING BELIEVABLE! The bike rider got his due punishment for his crimes, although I think his punishments should've been lessened because of the extreme punishment the old man already dished out. Sorry bout the rant, that video and reactions to it really got my ire up.

Beemer

+1

Both are at fault for different reasons... the problem for us riders is the consequences are more severe. If that rider had been in a car, passing on a double yellow I doubt he'd have suffered the same injuries. Still be breaking the law, but that's another story.
Another story is right, he would've had a fighting chance and maybe put the old geezer into a ditch. Humble his dumb old cranky ass.

Beemer

Do they deserve to die for crossing a double yellow? Lets see, when was the last time a judge handed out a death sentence for crossing a double yellow ......... hmmmm, EFFING NEVER!!!
That is just it .... trying to kill someone for illegally crossing a double yellow lane ???? Some people are seriously deranged. 

bmwpowere36m3

I'm not defending the driver and yes, most everyone has broken some form of traffic laws.

However, if the rider had passed the driver in a passing zone... I'd have a slightly different outlook/feeling, i.e., rider totally innocent.

Actions have consequences, though not deserved, the rider is in his current predicament none the less. Hell I've had a couple cars try to run me off the road for lane splitting... Yes it's illegal in CT, traffic was near standstill and I wasn't going more than 5-10 mph. Granted at first I was pissed at the drivers and I think I should have been, but at the same time I was breaking the law. It's definitely a conundrum.

As motorcyclists we're vunerable, regardless of who's at fault if we end up hurt.

pineappleunderthesea
I'm not defending the driver and yes, most everyone has broken some form of traffic laws. 
However, if the rider had passed the driver in a passing zone... I'd have a slightly different outlook/feeling, i.e., rider totally innocent.

For me, it's not about the rider being totally innocent or not, it's about the  egregious over-reaction from the driver that nearly killed two people.  What's more, the driver could have lost control and caused a head-on, or killed someone on the side of the road...what he did was just plain wrong, and potentially criminal.  With that said, would the rider and passenger be OK had they passed in a legal passing zone?  Maybe, maybe not.  The driver might have done the same thing in a legal zone simply because he's from the school of "you pass one car at a time".  He's obviously disturbed. 

Archived