The MT-07 Forum

Heated or insulated cold weather riding gear & heated Grips

Cruizin

I went for a four hour ride today in the low forties. No amount of layers is going to beat the comfort of heated gloves! Between those and the heated vest, I was fine. My feet were cold when I got home, that's about it.

• Premium Member

I just use insulated winter riding gloves and so far they've been keeping me warm to an textent (30F). The only thing I don't like about them is that they're bulky and are stiff for me. Going to buy some thermo gloves and then wear my summer gloves on top and see if they're more comfortable than my bulky thermo ones. As for my mid section I just wear a shirt and a winter riding jacket. For my legs I usually just wear sweat pants and jeans on top lol...barely helps tho, windchill usually beats me. Going to buy some long johns in the next few days as temperatures are supposed to be below 30F.

@chickenchickendinner, I have used the Oxford thermal gloves under my regular riding gloves in the low 30 degrees temperature ( in California), and after riding to work every morning my hands would feel like frozen, so I know this combination doesn't work for me, therefore I bought and install the Oxford heated grip and I have also installed the BarkBuster grip wind covers.
Starting Monday I will try that combination with my gloves and see if my hands would stay warm or not.
My other option would be to buy a heated gloves, but I don't want to go that route .

chickenchickendinner

I just use insulated winter riding gloves and so far they've been keeping me warm to an textent (30F). The only thing I don't like about them is that they're bulky and are stiff for me. Going to buy some thermo gloves and then wear my summer gloves on top and see if they're more comfortable than my bulky thermo ones. As for my mid section I just wear a shirt and a winter riding jacket. For my legs I usually just wear sweat pants and jeans on top lol...barely helps tho, windchill usually beats me. Going to buy some long johns in the next few days as temperatures are supposed to be below 30F.
@chickenchickendinner , I have used the Oxford thermal gloves under my regular riding gloves in the low 30 degrees temperature ( in California), and after riding to work every morning my hands would feel like frozen, so I know this combination doesn't work for me, therefore I bought and install the Oxford heated grip and I have also installed the BarkBuster grip wind covers. Starting Monday I will try that combination with my gloves and see if my hands would stay warm or not.
My other option would be to buy a heated gloves, but I don't want to go that route .
I don't want to go that route either that's why I'm only riding above 20F lol 

So, I finally got to test the grips today and...they are amazing!

I have over $400 in A*'s heated gear that gets a little warm but these grips get HOT.
Plus, they look and feel great. Highly recommend these.

The bulky feeling will go away after you break them in. I have these:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-raiden-alcan-gloves

And I didn't like them at first cause of how bulky they felt. But now they are fine. I ride 50 miles/ day in 30° weather, then use my thermal liners with my regular gloves on the ride back home. A lot cheaper than heated, but I'm sure heated is tons more comfortable. But these are more than fine for me.

• 1 month later...
So, I finally got to test the grips today and...they are amazing! 
I have over $400 in A*'s heated gear that gets a little warm but these grips get HOT.
Plus, they look and feel great. Highly recommend these.
How much did you pay for them and where did you get them? Do you have a pic of the other side? I saw someone else's installation of Oxford heaterz and it looked shabby on the right side with this wire dangling out from the grip

Amazon for $120.
The wire is there but it doesn't look 'shabby' if you run it with the existing cabling.
84fed3a78af01e1bdcdf8fedcc4c777b.jpg

• 1 year later...
AlbatrossCafe

Anyone have a link to the Yamaha OEM heated grips? I cannot seem to find them from a US source.

I really like the much smaller look of controls this one better, plus you can plug it into your OEM outlet in the rear without having to splice anything. I figured I should probably get them while going on my 3rd complete winter of riding in the rain at 35 degrees.

Euro source here: https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/accessories/genuine-options/comfort/grip-heater-120/YME-F2960-00-00/details.acc

EDIT: Found em, but they are not available online? WTF? https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/universal-grip-heaters?b=Street+Motorcycle&d=28|28&dealernumber=

Archived