Cruizin

Heated or insulated cold weather riding gear & heated Grips

Cruizin
Ok, so it's that colder time of year and time to switch up some gear to squeeze out a couple more months of riding for some, a few weeks more of riding for others.

Lets talk heated riding gear.

Revzilla has a pretty good selection of heated gear HERE ]

Another HUGE upgrade that is only $99, are the Oxford heated grips kit The Oxfords install in about an hour-hour in a half.

Here is a pic from the FJ-09 forum

MSxj8xr.jpg

YOu can also take a look at Winter riding jackets HERE I suggest long cut jackets for warmth, over short sport cut jackets.

Winter pants can be found here

But out of all of the above options, the Oxford Heated Grips for $99 are probably best bang for the buck!

Cruizin
SO, what are YOU using to keep warm and toasty while riding?

fooschnickens
Heated grips work to a point, I've found. A buddy had them on his ATV and they worked great until the temps dip below 40 or so. After that you really need gloves with proper insulation at which point the heated grips don't do much since they can't cut through the extra padding in whatever gloves you're wearing and don't do much for warming the backs of your hands. It's one of those products that works great until it doesn't haha. It was really nice to grab a warm handlebar, though, after being off the ATV for a few minutes (we were servicing a fence at the time) with no gloves on. I've been camping for decades and know the pain of having to manipulate cold tent poles with bare hands...

Heated liners are TOTALLY the way to go. I tried out a friend's heated vest and was amazed at how much heat it pumped out. Just be careful with them, you want to use the heat sparingly. If you start sweating you put yourself at a severe hypothermia risk. The extra sweat your body produces from trying to cool itself off will add up and unless you go straight indoors and shed off your wet clothes, your body temp will plummet once the heat wears off from the liner.

I'll probably be getting an insulated jacket liner and maybe glove liners if I can't find a decent insulated set of full-length gloves. I've got decent pants now and can layer up easier underneath them than my jacket, so upper body bulk is at a premium and I'd prefer not to have to buy a new jacket specifically for winter riding since I already have two and one is solid leather. I'll probably add some handguards to add to the streetfighter look the bike already has and cut down on excess wind.
  • Like 1

jake
X2 heated grips for Oxford heated grips. I was riding in April this year and it was in the mid 30's. I can tell already that these grips are going to make a huge difference. I have hand guards also. For everything else I put on layers and have no issue.
  • Like 1

Cruizin
Bump

ShiftHer
Question! Oxford heated grips has 3 grip options: Sport, Touring, Adventure. Which style is the right length for FZ's grips and which is more comfortable?

Cruizin
I think the Sport would be best

fooschnickens
I think the Sport would be best
The correct answer is to get all three, and then get bikes that fit the grips ;) 
  • Like 2

Cruizin
Yep, that's the one. My buddy has em, really warm!

straydogeod
Anyone know the Excess Electrical Capacity (EEC) of the FZ07? A heated jacket liner and gloves are on my list of riding gear must haves in the near future but I'd also like to be able to power a GPS and charge a cell phone. The way I understand it, anything with heating elements is a high power consumption item.

delbee1
I was looking at heated grips but the Yamaha ones, they look more intergrated with the bike
aheated_zpsc5qm7ljh.jpg
I then decided on gloves as they would heat all of your hand. I first wanted the ones below but was told at the shop that they had a lot of people bringing them back with problems
aglovesa_zpso4va7ih3.jpg
So in the end got these ones which have a lifetime guarantee on the heating elements and you can choose to use either battery packs or wire to the bike. I'm planning on wiring to the bike and have bought a mount kit which I will make a bracket for.
agloves_zps8a31ewt4.jpg
  • Like 2

Cruizin
Link??