The MT-07 Forum

New rider in SoCal

tredecim07

Hey everyone,
I just bought my very first bike yesterday! I am a brand new rider, and I'm VERY excited to learn and grow in my new FZ07. This forum/site played a HUGE roll in making my decision to purchase a 07. I did a lot of research and found all the knowledge, know-how, information and opinions here priceless. So, thank you very much to everyone who has spent the time sharing your experiences and knowledge. Your time is very well appreciated.

I'm going to spend a lot of time looking around, as there is a lot information I feel I need to learn to ride.

I look forward to finding a lot of great information.

Thanks Everyone!

-Hendrick

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

Welcome to the FZ-07 family @tredecim07. Smart choice on research. Where in SoCal are you and what color did you get?

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

Thank you Cracka! I'm back and forth from LA to OC. I got the grey/blue. But yours is looking great. Is your custom painted?

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
Thank you Cracka! I'm back and forth from LA to OC. I got the grey/blue. But yours is looking great. Is your custom painted?
Yep, took the plastics to a paint shop and had them do it for $400.00.  I did test colors with Plasti-dip first though.  Warning to the wise, Plasti-dip is not very durable but does the job testing colors and peels right off when you're done. We do have threads for guys in your area of SoCal here: http://fz07.org/board/21/west-fz-07-owners

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Welcome and be safe out there. If you have not done so already, see about taking a basic rider course.

Welcome! Best advice I can say is to be careful and don't ever get complacent on the bike, it is a lot of bike for a new rider. Mine is my second bike and even after coming from being on bicycles my whole life I have still caught myself in some almost bad situations. Keep it fun and safe! :)

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

Thank you both. I looked into the rider safety course and will be attending soon.

That is great advice, Ryan. I've ridden bicycles all my life also and my first time on a motorcycle I realized how different it really is. I have a complete respect for my motorcycle and how much power it has. I look forward to learning more and more.

• Global Moderator

Welcome dude
Cant wait to see what you do with her
And Ill also second that motion of attending a riding course if gou havent done so already

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Nothing major planned as of now. Sliders, fender eliminator and maybe a windscreen in the next couple of weeks. Other than that, I have been doing a lot of looking at bikes and drooling over my laptop.

Welcome tredecim07! I can almost feel your excitement through my computer! Those are good mods but consider a radiator guard as well. Ours are rather exposed. Great color choice by the way.

Thanks JetGirl. That is good advice. I'll look into that, also. I can't contain my excitement. I get giddy every time I look at her. Which leads me to my next dilemma, coming up with a name! I think I'm going to go with Samantha or Scarlett.

• Premium Member

Welcome! LA to OC, and I haven't seen you? Haha, JK. I don't live in the OC right now, but I do commute to LA. Maybe we'll see you around! We have group rides, so check them out!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Thanks Moto. I just got my bike so I haven't taken her out on the highway yet. I'll be sure to check out the group rides.

I've been looking into the basic rider course but they're all full around l.a. and oc until the end of Nov beginning of Dec. I'll sign up as soon as I find an opening.

Thanks JetGirl. That is good advice. I'll look into that, also. I can't contain my excitement. I get giddy every time I look at her. Which leads me to my next dilemma, coming up with a name! I think I'm going to go with Samantha or Scarlett.
Oh go with Samantha. That sounds sexy and classy. Scarlett sounds well uh, like a hooker ;) but Samantha is a nice girl! 

• Global Moderator
Oh go with Samantha. That sounds sexy and classy. Scarlett sounds well uh, like a hooker ;) but Samantha is a nice girl!

But Samantha is the unattainable cheerleader while Scarlett is the gorgeous redhead next door :P
I vote Scarlett, or Candy

But Samantha is the unattainable cheerleader while Scarlett is the gorgeous redhead next door :P I vote Scarlett, or Candy

You're right about Scarlett being a gorgeous redhead but this machine is the gray/blue one and therefore can not be Scarlett or Candy. 

• Global Moderator
But Samantha is the unattainable cheerleader while Scarlett is the gorgeous redhead next door :P I vote Scarlett, or Candy

You're right about Scarlett being a gorgeous redhead but this machine is the gray/blue one and therefore can not be Scarlett or Candy.

Hows about Clarice?
Or B.O.B., Harriet?

:P samantha could be the raven but not a blurple

invisiblekawiguy

Whether you take MSF or not, I highly recommend you check out www.skillzdays.com/

Totally worth the $75. Instructor's name is Jeff and he's a solid guy. MSF teaches you how to ride a motorcycle, Jeff will teach you how to not die, not to mention it will do leaps and bounds for your confidence starting out on street riding which is huge. Don't be a squid and skimp out on gear either, California summers are brutal, but always at least wear a mesh jacket and jeans. Better to sweat than to bleed.

Not be grim, but I've been seeing a lot of fatal accidents around our area lately.

1_zpsa5e7e660.jpg

I went with Samantha. Just something about saying her name while I look at her gives me goose bumps. My feelings for her may have exceeded that of my fzj80 Land Cruiser, whose name is Esmeralda. But, don't tell her that!
I agree with JetGirl about Scarlett. Is she were red, then I'd definitely go with that.

Kawiguy. Thank you for the link. I bookmarked it to take a look at tomorrow. I signed up for the OCMT.ORG class is December. It's a while away, but that's the best time I can attend.

Again, thank you all for the welcome and support. And, especially for the laughs about her name! That was an awesome conversation.

Scarlett.
Scarlett sounds like she would be up for a heavy duty ride and had a working start button. Samantha sounds like she would have very long warm up time, not be rideable for a full week every 4 weeks and eat you alive for 2 days every month. She would also probably be asthmatic. Very likely to leave you for an owner with more money or kill you when you least expect it.
Scarlett will be a good time girl, Samantha way too high maintenance.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

That's pretty funny Greg. Something about her screams Samantha. She's the good girl who is reliable and always up for an adventure. She's a lady. But only she and I know the kind of freak she really is. She's the kind of girl who'll stand between me and the stuck up a-hole on a cbr trying to show you up and is whispering in your ear at the same time to test him a new one. She's pretty kick-ass that way

Well don't say I didn't warn you.
Call it Sharon. That way you get all the good stuff but a more reasonable personality.
I have no idea how I developed these stereotypes but be assured it was mostly fun getting there.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived