The MT-07 Forum

Which exhaust has the best "real-world" power increase?

AlbatrossCafe

AlbatrossCafe

Been looking at the Dyno graphs of the different exhaust choices... I was wondering if there was a general consensus on which full exhaust system provided the best "real-world" applicable power increase. You can assume a proper tune will be made.

Now this term can be debated, but to me, what I mean is an exhaust that best improves low-mid range torque/hp vs. something like the Akro TI which seems to have most of its power gains at the very top of the RPM range.

So, ignoring looks, price, and sound, which exhaust system fits the bill?

• Premium Member

@marthy s exhaust focuses on increased low and mid range response. It doesn't do much for the top end.

Everything went braap.

I read that the Arrow exhaust provided the most gains but since I don't race I don't care that it may have 1 h.p. over my Akra carbon. 

Beemer

To be honest, power gains via exhaust are hardly ever enough to produce any speed increases. Very minimal in the power dept. You might gain 1-2 hp on the dyno, but not gain any speed measurements.

Exhaust give you three things really. Louder sound and a different look than stock exhausts. And, one thing that does help. lighter weight.

Heck, the lighter weight does more to make you faster than any exhaust design could.

Fuel controllers help with power a bit, check out the EJK Fuel controller by Dobeck in the supporting Vendor's section.

ECU Flashing can make you faster as well, so check out Two Wheel Dynoworks in the same Supporting Vendor board.

But on a bike, the best way to get faster is to improve your suspension, unless you only ride in straight lines. The FZ-07 has a very budget suspension, sponge forks in the corners.

A slow bike with an upgraded suspension passes fast bikes with weak suspension in the corners. And corners is why most of us ride in the first place, right?

And weight. Best speed increase comes from being lighter, less mass to move. So, in exhaust choices-I suggest going with the lightest weight exhaust, tuning the fuleing and ecu and upgrading the forks so that you arent on a pogo stick in the corners.

The Two hp that you might get from exhaust upgrade wont even be noticed unless you put the bike on a dyno.

AlbatrossCafe

I have heard from several people that after an exhaust/ECU flash that they do notice a power difference. Sometimes they lose some on the low end but gain it on the high end, or opposite. People have told me about how it is easier to power-wheelie (seems to be the typical measuring gauge) after an exhaust/flash than before. I've also talked to one guy who said he was able to hit ECO mode @75mph after installing a graves exhaust whereas before he couldn't.

So either it does help (even slightly) or it is all in their head! Who knows. Either way, I am about 265lbs with gear, so I welcome any kind of lower/mid range upgrade given that cutting weight elsewhere in the bike seems futile considering this stat. Then suspension will definitely be a "must" for me ....

Loosing weight would make the bike faster then any exhaust mod.

I think the suspension is set up for 150lb riders so suspension work Will also help a lot.

AlbatrossCafe

I'm actually a powerlifter... lol. 6'2" 235lbs. I couldn't imagine being much skinnier at this point - been lifting ~5days a week for over 6 years and I eat pretty healthy, so don't worry about me! It does suck for power/weight ratio on my bikes though.

Bench: 365lb
Deadlift: 605lb
Squat: 425lb

Shave off 100lbs and you'll be good to go!

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

I'm actually a powerlifter... lol. 6'2" 235lbs. I couldn't imagine being much skinnier at this point - been lifting ~5days a week for over 6 years and I eat pretty healthy, so don't worry about me! It does suck for power/weight ratio on my bikes though. 
BFD! I'm 5' 8", 190 lbs. 
Curl: 12 ounces all day 24/7
Lift: food to mouth 5 times a day 7 days a week
Squat: over toilet without straining one bit

That's right! Who's the man?!

Beemer

Well, you gotta pick and choose which one is more important to you. Do you want riding better more than lifting heavier or the other way around?
I had to shed whole bunch of muscle back then when I started training one arm pull ups. Can't have everything buddy

AlbatrossCafe
Well, you gotta pick and choose which one is more important to you. Do you want riding better more than lifting heavier or the other way around? I had to shed whole bunch of muscle back then when I started training one arm pull ups. Can't have everything buddy
The weight is worth it for me for sure lol. This is why I was wondering about FZ-07 exhaust. Without changing myself, I want to get every last bit of HP/Torque I can squeeze outta this little guy 

Well, you gotta pick and choose which one is more important to you. Do you want riding better more than lifting heavier or the other way around? I had to shed whole bunch of muscle back then when I started training one arm pull ups. Can't have everything buddy
The weight is worth it for me for sure lol. This is why I was wondering about FZ-07 exhaust. Without changing myself, I want to get every last bit of HP/Torque I can squeeze outta this little guy

Easier to just buy a more powerful bike.

AlbatrossCafe
Easier to just buy a more powerful bike.
I agree, and believe me I have been scouring and testing bikes for the last 2 months. I just traded in my 1854cc Yamaha Raider for this bike. But I commute ~60 miles a day. The mpg of this bike is fantastic, it is super nimble (sub 400lbs), looks sweet (team blurple), is cheap, and the crossplane sounds like a boss. I don't think I will ever be able to go back to inline 4's after my Raider and especially this bike. In my dream world the FZ would keep the parallel twin but have like 825cc displacement. Honestly, the sound sold me here. 
Plus I have been on bigger sport bikes, and all that got me was 6+ traffic infractions, a misdemeanor, and some jail time. So I am trying to stay away from that... 8-)

Well, if your gonna jump, might as well go all in.

This winter, pull the engine, order an exhaust, have them port matched, ported and polished by a shop. Have the top end rebuilt with bigger valves and a good port job. Have a shop find higher compression Pistons. Then have a good local dyno shop work with Nels at Two Wheel Dynoworks to create a new tune. You could also add a fuel controller. Should be good for 15-20 hp. Maybe more.

But again, as soon as you hit a corner, a guy on a stock FZ-07 with stock exhaust but upgraded forks will simply lean and pass you, and seriously piss you off.

Unless you live in Florida or west Texas , where there are no comers.

A lot of guys, myself included, go slow on the straight boring roads, but then go double the speed limit and pass everyone and everything in the corners. I see Suzuki SV-650's totally embarrass liter bikes in the twisties up here in the Idaho mountain roads every year.

It isn't the engine, it's the suspension that gives you best bang for buck on a motorcycle.

But yeah, if drag racing is more your bag, then exhaust/ecuflash or fuel controller can help. But exhaust alone won't do much at all.

I have heard from several people that after an exhaust/ECU flash that they do notice a power difference. Sometimes they lose some on the low end but gain it on the high end, or opposite. People have told me about how it is easier to power-wheelie (seems to be the typical measuring gauge) after an exhaust/flash than before. I've also talked to one guy who said he was able to hit ECO mode @75mph after installing a graves exhaust whereas before he couldn't.  
So either it does help (even slightly) or it is all in their head! Who knows. Either way, I am about 265lbs with gear, so I welcome any kind of lower/mid range upgrade given that cutting weight elsewhere in the bike seems futile considering this stat. Then suspension will definitely be a "must" for me ....

AlbatrossCafe
Well, if your gonna jump, might as well go all in.  
This winter, pull the engine, order an exhaust, have them port matched, ported and polished by a shop. Have the top end rebuilt with bigger valves and a good port job. Have a shop find higher compression Pistons. Then have a good local dyno shop work with Nels at Two Wheel Dynoworks to create a new tune. You could also add a fuel controller. Should be good for 15-20 hp. Maybe more.

But again, as soon as you hit a corner, a guy on a stock FZ-07 with stock exhaust but upgraded forks will simply lean and pass you, and seriously piss you off.

Unless you live in Florida or west Texas , where there are no comers.

A lot of guys, myself included, go slow on the straight boring roads, but then go double the speed limit and pass everyone and everything in the corners. I see Suzuki SV-650's totally embarrass liter bikes in the twisties up here in the Idaho mountain roads every year.

It isn't the engine, it's the suspension that gives you best bang for buck on a motorcycle.

But yeah, if drag racing is more your bag, then exhaust/ecuflash or fuel controller can help. But exhaust alone won't do much at all.
Hmm... to the tune of $8,000? How much would be your guess? That would certainly make it unique! 
For you Cruizin I promise that my springs will be the very next thing on my list.

Man, you just need to admit you don't care about "increasing the power" and just want the fz07 to sound mean.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

Back to the question, the Arrow gives a nice increase right across the board, however it changes the looks of the -07 due to it being a conventional longer style system rather than the stock under the engine style. Most of the increase is due to getting rid of the cat. Oh, and it shaves 5.5kg or 12lbs off the weight, which is probably more useful than the 2-3 hp power gains. And it sounds AWESOME! :)
IMG_1634_zpskust9gzo.jpg

AlbatrossCafe
Back to the question, the Arrow gives a nice increase right across the board, however it changes the looks of the -07 due to it being a conventional longer style system rather than the stock under the engine style. Most of the increase is due to getting rid of the cat. Oh, and it shaves 5.5kg or 12lbs off the weight, which is probably more useful than the 2-3 hp power gains. And it sounds AWESOME! :) 

Yeah, the arrow exhaust I saw has by far the best power gains (due to the length of the exhaust compared to the more "stylish" shorties) but you are right in that it seems to completely change the style of the bike. It goes from "compact streetfighter" to more of a traditional supersport, so I don't know if I can really justify getting it. 
I haven't seen an FZ yet though with a non-carbon arrow like yours, can you post more pics (from farther away)?

Archived