The MT-07 Forum

Saying Goodbye to my FZ07

Lucius

It's been almost a month since my little mishap where I ran off the road with my FZ07. I was a bit banged up. Four broken ribs and a collar bone. Just had surgery on the clavicle and I'm feeling mostly better now. What's surprising is how even with frame sliders and what looked to be pretty minor damage to the bike, I learned today that the insurance company considers it a total loss. According to the estimate, there's about $5500 in damages and the bike's worth about $6500. I'm not sure how the repairs are that much, but I am very sad to see her go. 

Beyond that, I don't believe that I will replace her with another FZ-07. I don't know what I'm getting yet, or when, but I think it will be something else.

I might have a few parts show up soon in the classifieds, so keep a look out.

Lucius

Crash Video here: [video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9JWZqTdpxg]

Sorry to hear that buddy. Keep us posted on what you eventually replace it with.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Premium Member

Or buy back and part it out. Not a ton of demand right now but eventually people will be looking for bits and pieces of stuff. The motor alone should fetch a decent amount.

Everything went braap.

I'm barely getting enough settlement to payoff my loan, so there's no real option of buying the bike back. I know I could've fixed it myself for cheaper, but that's not an option in this situation. I may move up to an FJ-09 or something similar. I think I'd like something that handles longer distances better. That was the only thing I didn't think the FZ07 was perfect for.

Glad you are mostly better and that you acknowledge there are things you could have done better...a painful learning curve :)

• Global Moderator

glad to hear you're healing well at least.
sorry to see a member losing their fz.

If it's any solution, sprint/dirt track cars have been using wrecked r6 motors for powerplants for a while now.
I could easily see our 689 twin entering the races. perhaps offering it to a team?
torque + dirt + hillbillies = awesome crashes

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I've seen brake callipers written off due to the rubber cap
on the bleed nipple being scuffed and the part not being
available separately.

• Global Moderator

Sad to see you go. But it's only a bike. Your health is more important. We will miss you here though. You should try and buy back the remains. Then fix it up or part it out. I am sure you can make some good money like that. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Good to see you're alright and still have the spirit, a lot of people would be saddle shy and never ride again after something like that. Good luck, put up some pics of whatever you get. Like the Military, once an FZ-07 brother, always a brother.

Beemer

I had the bike financed, so I am just barely getting the loan paid off. I do not have the funds to attempt to buy it back.

• Premium Member

Rest up well man, let us know what you go with later on down the line.

Everything went braap.

I'm barely getting enough settlement to payoff my loan, so there's no real option of buying the bike back. I know I could've fixed it myself for cheaper, but that's not an option in this situation. I may move up to an FJ-09 or something similar. I think I'd like something that handles longer distances better. That was the only thing I didn't think the FZ07 was perfect for.
I've ridden the FJ-09. A very nice bike. That, or the Triumph Street Triple are both great options if you like the upright seating position...but you already know I like the Triple...

You'll see the review this week, Lucius. Get better soon.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

Why would you move up when you are having a hard time with rider basics?? Get a smaller bike and do some track days and get some skills.

I am not bashing even though it may sound like it. You didn't have too much corner speed you barley had any lean angel if at all. No weight shift, no looking around the corner ect. Wow that should of never happened at all. If I were you again don't buy something faster that you can really get in trouble on. Look into riding classes.

Ok now that I have that out of my system really sorry for your injuries and glad no one else was hurt also. The bike is just a bike so who cares about that. Learn for this and I hope others do also.
This is going to be a common thing on this site as lots of beginner riders are buying the FZ07 as their first bike. Be safe, ride smart and ride within your limits.

riding4fun, you really can't tell much from that video based on what you are saying. I have been riding since 1999, so I have plenty of years experience and I have had faster motorcycles as well. I did have lean angle, I was scraping the peg on the left lean it's that I was against the curb when I finished the curve. I don't usually lean off my bike and honestly, that curve really shouldn't need it. I just went in badly, was being lazy and paid the price. The FZ07 was my 5th motorcycle.

Its fine as I was stating My Own Opinion. I just hope others learn from this mistake. There is no doubt in my mind that the accident was avoidable giving everything you did wrong but if done correctly it would have just went around the corner. Always look through the corner, use body weight to help the bike into the lean angle, use counter steering to get the bike into the lean. Once that is done correctly the bike will go were you are looking. I just wish bike owners would invest in a simple track day with instruction instead of modifying the bike with a loud pipe and fancy stuff like that.

To your comment about owning faster bikes ect how many of those have you laid down? Hey I am glad you didn't get hurt to bad or someone else.

Archived