Sign in to follow this  
Lucius

Saying Goodbye to my FZ07

Lucius
It's been almost a month since my little mishap where I ran off the road with my FZ07. I was a bit banged up. Four broken ribs and a collar bone. Just had surgery on the clavicle and I'm feeling mostly better now. What's surprising is how even with frame sliders and what looked to be pretty minor damage to the bike, I learned today that the insurance company considers it a total loss. According to the estimate, there's about $5500 in damages and the bike's worth about $6500. I'm not sure how the repairs are that much, but I am very sad to see her go. 

Beyond that, I don't believe that I will replace her with another FZ-07. I don't know what I'm getting yet, or when, but I think it will be something else.

I might have a few parts show up soon in the classifieds, so keep a look out.

Lucius

Crash Video here: [video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9JWZqTdpxg]
  • Like 1

duenan
Sorry to hear that buddy. Keep us posted on what you eventually replace it with.

yotaman02
a huge part of it is labor and the stealership is a ripoff on the price of parts.

hobbs
Or buy back and part it out. Not a ton of demand right now but eventually people will be looking for bits and pieces of stuff. The motor alone should fetch a decent amount.
  • Like 2

Lucius
I'm barely getting enough settlement to payoff my loan, so there's no real option of buying the bike back. I know I could've fixed it myself for cheaper, but that's not an option in this situation. I may move up to an FJ-09 or something similar. I think I'd like something that handles longer distances better. That was the only thing I didn't think the FZ07 was perfect for.
  • Like 1

Dav
Glad you are mostly better and that you acknowledge there are things you could have done better...a painful learning curve :)

sorkyah
glad to hear you're healing well at least.
sorry to see a member losing their fz.

If it's any solution, sprint/dirt track cars have been using wrecked r6 motors for powerplants for a while now.
I could easily see our 689 twin entering the races. perhaps offering it to a team?
torque + dirt + hillbillies = awesome crashes

Guest Ralph
I've seen brake callipers written off due to the rubber cap
on the bleed nipple being scuffed and the part not being
available separately.

Guru
Sad to see you go. But it's only a bike. Your health is more important. We will miss you here though. You should try and buy back the remains. Then fix it up or part it out. I am sure you can make some good money like that. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Beemer
Good to see you're alright and still have the spirit, a lot of people would be saddle shy and never ride again after something like that. Good luck, put up some pics of whatever you get. Like the Military, once an FZ-07 brother, always a brother.

Simbadc650
are you going to buy it back as salvage?

Lucius
I had the bike financed, so I am just barely getting the loan paid off. I do not have the funds to attempt to buy it back.

hobbs
Rest up well man, let us know what you go with later on down the line.

pantheraleo
I'm barely getting enough settlement to payoff my loan, so there's no real option of buying the bike back. I know I could've fixed it myself for cheaper, but that's not an option in this situation. I may move up to an FJ-09 or something similar. I think I'd like something that handles longer distances better. That was the only thing I didn't think the FZ07 was perfect for.
I've ridden the FJ-09. A very nice bike. That, or the Triumph Street Triple are both great options if you like the upright seating position...but you already know I like the Triple...

You'll see the review this week, Lucius. Get better soon.