The MT-07 Forum

T-Rex "Spools Adapters"

avanti

• Premium Member

A search here produced some mentions of these adapters but I did not find a review... so, here goes.

I just received these today.  They are made to be permanently attached to the rear swing arm on both sides but since they are so quickly put on and removed I got them for temporarily installing for maintenance.  Because they bolt to the swing arm itself and not through the hub one can do all sorts of jobs with them attached.

First, they are made specifically for the 07 and the instruction's picture them on an 07, not generic install directions as provided by some others... some name-brand others, I might add!  Hence, one can see if they are placed appropriately with the supplied pix (though the pix are not too well reproduced).  Next, the left-side is comprised of two pieces of machined aluminum and the right-side one piece of aluminum and one piece of steel.  The reason for the difference is one of clearance on the right-hand side.  Clearance it pretty tight on both sides, actually.  Bolts are hi-grade but not stainless. Were I installing permanently I'd swap to stainless fasteners because the stress/load levels are not that great, and certainly within stainless specs. 

Lastly, regarding construction, the insides of the parts are lined with a hard plastic where the parts contact the outside, top, and bottom of the swing arm.  On the inside is a softer rubber material.  Hence, the metal doesn't actually contact the swing arm steel, at least not unless banged up or forced in some way. 

Regarding installation, the instructions say to do the left-side first for some unfathomable reason.  However, I'd recommend doing the right-side first.  The reason is that the right-side, at least on my swing arm, allows no wiggle-room at all.  So, the T-Rex adapter is placed in alignment with the indentation in the outside of the swing arm exactly like it belongs.  And, once the right-side is thus attached it presents exactly how one wants to align the left one, which does have some wiggle-room. 

Overall, nicely made parts that fit well and are well packaged for shipping.  Also, quick service and it is noted in the instructions that individual replacement pieces are available. 

Oh yeah, and they come with a couple neat dinosaur stickers my 10 year old granddaughter loves!!!

• Premium Member

I also purchased these a while back. Had to send the right side back because it was really crooked. So much so it was marring the spool pretty bad when trying to raise the bike. I took care to install correctly and nothing would straighten it out. So I contacted the seller and they quickly sent me out a replacement that was STILL crooked. Only not as much. So I just kept it. For the cost they still work fine and the bike is solid with no wiggle what so ever when lifted. I almost ordered a triple tree lift from them but after the experience with their spool adapter, I wasn't sure about overall quality of their products. 70B648CE-8B01-4132-BC35-24809B40D3A5_zpsru4qpwyn.jpg

• Premium Member

I got the venom front stand with the pitfall [HASH]33 pin from reveille and it works perfectly. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Venom-Motorcycle-Triple-Tree-Headlift-Front-Wheel-Lift-Stand-Sportbike-Keychain-/321874159832?hash=item4af131e8d8&vxp=mtr The locking pin that comes with the front stand is too big to go through the pitfall [HASH]33 pin but its not a big deal. It will bottom out on the stand and everything is fine when you have the bike lifted

http://s5.postimg.org/r6s9qdkjr/20150921_190051.jpg

http://s5.postimg.org/8shqme893/20150921_190022.jpg

• Premium Member

fzonly1, I'm looking at your pic trying to figure out how it is crooked, in which dimension(s), and/or which piece(s). 

From how tightly mine fits I'd think it wouldn't install if it were off, at least not that I can see how.

Below is a pic of my right side pieces.  Are these the same as yours?  I'm just curious as to how yours was bent/damaged? This is pretty hefty stuff, 1/4" steel and billet aluminum.

• Premium Member

fzonly1, I'm looking at your pic trying to figure out how it is crooked, in which dimension(s). From how tightly mine fits I'd think it would not install if crooked... at least mine wouldn't that I can see. I'm just curious as to how yours was bent/damaged???  
Btw, I've a pair of GPI lifts on the way and will see how they work. If not yet done so, I'll report here, too.

I'll post a pic in the am of a diff angle. It was so bad it wouldn't line up with the lift.

• Premium Member

I see, so they would go on the swing arm okay but wouldn't work with your lift.

Hmmm, perhaps the threaded holes in the steel plate were at an angle?  Making the spools "tilted" or "crooked"...

• Premium Member

I see, so they would go on the swing arm okay but wouldn't work with your lift. 
Hmmm, perhaps the threaded holes in the steel plate were at an angle?  Making the spools "tilted" or "crooked"...

7A310533-6B07-4D0E-B21B-063AE1D344FD_zpspbhkhbhh.jpg
57A1A3F3-0536-4016-83C5-912D23415395_zpsm40oz8lb.jpg
Maybe these show it a little better, looking down at the tops of the spools.

• Premium Member

OMG! That's awful! I don't see how you could have gotten it on like that... mine would never have fit being that far out of alignment! Sheesh!!!

• Premium Member

OMG! That's awful! I don't see how you could have gotten it on like that... mine would never have fit being that far out of alignment! Sheesh!!!
Yeah, exactly.. And the seller acted like he didn't see anything wrong in that photo. At least he replaced it. I prob should have just got a refund. It lines up better now, although still not perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a pair of these in preparation for winter storage. I'm hoping these install straight without any alignment issues. Will update later

• Premium Member

I just got a pair of these in preparation for winter storage. I'm hoping these install straight without any alignment issues. Will update later
Cool. Just don't torque them down with thread lock till you see if they are straight first.

• Premium Member

itch808, since I got mine sometime after fzonly1 got his, I suspect yours will be fine, too.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used their products on other bikes in the past, but the swingarm spools also had to be sent back but the frame sliders were top notch.

• Premium Member

For those that are looking at this solution, I just want to point out that these are a reasonable solution, ...for the price, but... Gilles Engineering spools are cleaner, VERY well made, and functions flawlessly (but are over twice the price).
(I just want people to know their options...) :)

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

Okay, the picture finally came up--of the mounted Gilles--and, I cannot see that it allows wheel removal.  If not, the T-Rex rather clunky system does... IF, that is, one can get a set like mine that was made correctly, hehehe!

Please, do correct me if I'm wrong about the Gilles, in this regard.

I make do with the T. rex swingarm lift adapter instead of spools.

It's quick and easy, but not quite as secure as a spool lift. It's fine for rear lift use only, but if I want to raise the front as well, I strap the bike down to the rear stand or else it will slip and potentially fall.

• Premium Member
Okay, the picture finally came up--of the mounted Gilles--and, I cannot see that it allows wheel removal.  If not, the T-Rex rather clunky system does... IF, that is, one can get a set like mine that was made correctly, hehehe! 
Please, do correct me if I'm wrong about the Gilles, in this regard.

I haven't removed my rear wheel, but I don't know why it would prevent removal. It allows chain adjustment nicely, and I can loosen and tighten (and remove if I wanted to) the axle nuts.   

Why can't left turners see us?

Archived