The MT-07 Forum

Burning smell

george

Guys have you noticed any weird smell at high rpm?
Something like burning plastic?
I smell something like that whenever i am at 8 - 10000 rpm..

bmwpowere36m3

How long are you hanging at 8k+ rpm? Only at those RPMs? I've never noticed it... then again I'm at those RPMs for less than a couple secs at a time.

Yes only at those rpms..
As you, i stay there only for couple of seconds..
I notice the smell only with my visor open, it is not very intense..
But it is there..

Hah! Mine has never seen 10K! Maybe 8K only a couple times VERY briefly. But, I've had the smell during startup at about the 1,000 mile mark.  Also intermittently sitting at stoplights.  It burned 1/2 quart of oil between 600 and 1,800 miles.  It hasn't burned any to speak of since then, but I did catch a whiff a few weeks ago when parking it.  So, I'm assuming the smell is oil burning, and I'm pretty certain it is.  At one point at the 1,800 mile mark, I could actually see smoke coming out the exhaust, and stuck my nose right in it.  It was the same, rubber/ plastic burning smell.  I'm using a full synthetic, so it may smell different than petroleum oil when burning.

Only thing I've changed in my riding habits, is avoiding shifting into 5th at relatively low speeds.  Basically keep it humming around 4K when not accelerating.

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

• Premium Member

I never smell anything like that either. Even at that high of an RPM, I don't see how you could smell anything. Visor open or not. You would have to carry some type of speed where the wind current is going to be carrying it away. Maybe you were smelling something else from around the area? I frequent those RPMs all he time on acceleration but have never noticed a smell as the one you describe.

• Like 1

Yeah it is quite difficult to notice..
But believe me it is there..
After searching i find out that many people say it is the catalyst converter, which smells at heavy pressure..
They are saying that it is normal..
I am not sure if this is the case here..

I always notice a smell like burning paper when I get home from work. It's noticeable because I park it in a 10 x 10 shed so it's a confined space.

• Like 1

Surly you cant smell anything from the bike at those revs if you are moving even in
1st it would be moving to fast and the wind would blow any smell away, if your
holding it at those revs in neutral or stopped then the exhaust is going to get hot.

• Premium Member

I noticed this awhile ago too, but never while riding. I just figured that after a spirited ride, the engine is hot, and that's what I'm smelling. Don't lose any sleep over it.

If you have the stock exhaust, look on top of the muffler box under the bike. A lot of road debris and rubber will accumulate there and burn. I cleaned this off fairly regularly and got rid of any smells from the bike.

• Like 1

RobMoore unfortunately i don't have rear stand..
I am leaning towards catalyst doing overtime at those rpms..
I cannot see any oil leaking (exept a very small amount from weep hole, which i think is irrelevant) and the mt is always properly cleaned..

bmwpowere36m3

I notice the top of the muffler/cat (hidden below frame/engine) collects bits a road debris/asphalt. It gets hot enough to "melt"/stick those little pieces on... maybe that what your smelling.

This gives me a brilliant idea - we can merge this with the grilled cheese thread!

It gets hot enough to "melt"/stick those little pieces on...

About 5000..
Clearly your FZ is experiencing the usual 5000 mile point break-in burning smell!

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Premium Member

Ya I have had this smell occur. I thought it was my tires but it lasted for a while. Went away eventually and I sniffed every inch of my bike with no success in uncovering the source. I was riding like a grandma too.