The MT-07 Forum

Burning smell

george

• 1 month later...
I smell burning rubber when I'm at a stop, I just bought my FZ 07 three days ago.
Just keep a eye on it but nr all new bike have hot smells so it's unlikely to be a problem. 
When I picked up my last new bike I only ran about a mile then stopped to fuel up, there
was so much smoke from the silencer when the engine stopped  it began to concern the
fuel station staff, a mile down the road and all trace had gone just oil and stuff from the
building process burning off.
  • Like 1

• Global Moderator

You bought a new bike and it did not come with a full tank of fuel, @Ralph? What kind of uncivilized dealership do you buy from?

You bought a new bike and it did not come with a full tank of fuel, @ralph ? What kind of uncivilized dealership do you buy from?
Cant complain it came with a serious discount. to be honest it was about 2/3 full but wanted to top it up as I had 110 miles to do trough the back of beyond.

You bought a new bike and it did not come with a full tank of fuel, @ralph ? What kind of uncivilized dealership do you buy from?
mine also was maybe 1/2 tank - considering how small the tank is, that's pretty tacky. It'll be a cold day before I go back to that shop.  
They also are the only KTM street-bike dealer around. My buddy now has 2 KTMs and holds that shop in the same (dis) regard.  

• 2 weeks later...
SouthernSpeed

Yes !   I have noticed this on my FZ-07 also. And lately it has had a little more of a stronger smell like burnt coffee or something strange not an oil or coolant smell in my opinion.  and only really strong when i rev it high.  I have about 8k miles and the factory exhaust set up.

The torque on this thing is pretty addictive....

• 2 years later...
On 12/15/2015 at 4:07 PM, SouthernSpeed said:

Yes !   I have noticed this on my FZ-07 also. And lately it has had a little more of a stronger smell like burnt coffee or something strange not an oil or coolant smell in my opinion.  and only really strong when i rev it high.  I have about 8k miles and the factory exhaust set up.

I have the same situation right now on my 2015 FZ-07, it has 10k miles. It starts smelling that way right after a ride. I realize this thread is from 3 years ago, but I'm hoping someone figured out something by now.

Edited by JMPFZ07
realization

• 1 month later...

I have a 2014 FZ-07 with 8300 miles and have been getting the strange burnt smell for the past 2 weeks now. Can only smell it while stopped or when reversing into a parking spot. Barely smell it at stop lights but once parked and the bike is off its very strong.  Did a sniff test around and it seems like its coming from inside the body somewhere and not the exhaust (I have the stock exhaust).

Only mods I have are the Dynoworks ECU flash I did a few years and an aftermarket spring and forks. Hopefully someone has figured this out cuz the smell is not pleasant.

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, anips said:

I have a 2014 FZ-07 with 8300 miles and have been getting the strange burnt smell for the past 2 weeks now. Can only smell it while stopped or when reversing into a parking spot. Barely smell it at stop lights but once parked and the bike is off its very strong.  Did a sniff test around and it seems like its coming from inside the body somewhere and not the exhaust (I have the stock exhaust).

Only mods I have are the Dynoworks ECU flash I did a few years and an aftermarket spring and forks. Hopefully someone has figured this out cuz the smell is not pleasant.

Hard to be of much help without knowing what kind of "burnt smell" you're experiencing. Is it a burnt oil, coolant, plastic,rubber or other type of smell?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

15 minutes ago, DewMan said:

Hard to be of much help without knowing what kind of "burnt smell" you're experiencing. Is it a burnt oil, coolant, plastic,rubber or other type of smell?

That's the problem, nobody in this thread seems to know. In my opinion it's not oil since I've smelt that before.  Coolant I'm not sure I've smelt before but I probably have at some point with all the old cars on the road.  It's not rubber or brakes cuz i've smelt that before.  This smell is something I've never smelt before so I can't really describe it. 

Was hoping someone discovered what it was since it seems multiple people are experiencing the same thing for a long time now, but it looks like this thread died until someone in November revived it with the same problem . Now I also have the problem so maybe someone discovered the issue in the last 3 years and never posted the fix?

edit: I did just notice someone said there was a big buildup on top of the muffler and I did notice a lot of black debris around my oil plug when I changed the oil last week so I will check that later tonight to see if there's a bunch of junk trapped there.

Edited by anips

batman.jpg

This is an amazing topic, I wonder how you can smell your bike while traveling at 8,000 rpm?

So totally amazing, I experimented with this concept, I was like in 1st - 6th and farted between each gear and ya know what?
I never smelt that fart!!  My mind was like WOW OH WOW like JWOW OH JWOW WOW BOW WOW

So I even went deeper in my study and ate nothing but protien for a week.  Ya my gut makes super methane when strict protien, it can power SpaceX rocket

And I even slowed way down to like really really slow and ya know what

I never smelt that fart!!  My mind was like WOW OH WOW like JWOW OH JWOW WOW BOW WOW

Edited by r1limited
  • Haha 1

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Global Moderator

Hey @r1limited, I am up in Bellingham.  Please stop...the wind has been from the south lately and you are making my eyes water ;)

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, mjh937 said:

Hey @r1limited, I am up in Bellingham.  Please stop...the wind has been from the south lately and you are making my eyes water ;)

It was blowing like a MoFo here.  Lady was running up and down the street yesterday pickup peoples garbage cans.  It was like watching a kid do that BONK the heads game at an arcade.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

2 hours ago, r1limited said:

It was blowing like a MoFo here.  Lady was running up and down the street yesterday pickup peoples garbage cans.  It was like watching a kid do that BONK the heads game at an arcade.

th5KAPQC2M.jpg"pickup" Assimilate and correct with "picking up" or else!

• Haha 2

Beemer

Nazi

• Thumbs Down 1

42 minutes ago, r1limited said:

Nazi

It's for the children. 😂

We don't want the kids talking like the Go Go Gophers or Mush Mouth.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Beemer

42 minutes ago, Beemer said:

It's for the children. 😂

We don't want the kids talking like the Go Go Gophers or Mush Mouth.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

• Thumbs Down 1

14 minutes ago, r1limited said:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

So you were a fan of Mushmouth and Fat Albert. I get you now. Mushmouth is in and proper English is out. Cmabridge Unbivversitah is King!

• Thumbs Down 1

Beemer

Never watched them.  I was to busy playing outside, catching things n fire and blowin dem ups

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, r1limited said:

Never watched them.  I was to busy playing outside, catching things n fire and blowin dem ups

Which dem did you blow up? 😋

• Thumbs Down 1

Beemer

5 minutes ago, Beemer said:

Which dem did you blow up? 😋

I dune blowed dem all ups

• Thumbs Down 1

• 10 months later...

Hey I have a similar situation as well, I have just about 8k and I've noticed a strange like almost a "steam" smell... the way I can best describe it is you kno how you start your bike after it's been in the rain or after you washed it, and the motor starts to heat up all the excess water off, it smells pretty much identical to that and I still cant figure out what is doing it!!!