The MT-07 Forum

TRAXXION DAMPING RODS WORTH IT?

paulibiker

I have springs and emulators for a SV650 and "low and behold" they are the same for a FZ07.

Dan at Traxxion will sell just the damping rods and hats for $150. Was wondering if they are that much better then modded OE rods? 

The SV is a LOT heavier than the 07. A lot more front weight bias as well. Good to know though.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

are that much better then modded OE rods? 
IMO no, with the primary caveat being you'll need to modify (fill, possibly re-drill) the rebound orifice in the OE rods. Does the Traxxion rod come with a better 'piston seal'? It might. The main benefit is the ability to run a thinner oil since the leakage should be a bit less.
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

What I have seen from Traxxion rods in the past is they are larger then OEM in O.D. so that decreases the clearance between the damper rod and the check valve located in the fork tube and reduces any damping loss through that section. They then have the rebound bleed located directly under the cup at the top of the damper rod so at no time will it get covered by the check valve. The third item is they use (4) 7/16" holes at the bottom of the rod to eliminate any chance of the damper rod doing any damping, Much like Race Techs (6) 5/16" holes when modifying for the emulator. The (4) hole approach works better then Race Techs method as under full compression the very top compression hole will be left uncovered which will give a fast rebound when the forks are bottomed out. The rebound will slow again on the Race Tech method but the Traxxion eliminates that issue.

Terry

Archived