The MT-07 Forum

Time for storage

yamahappy74

• Premium Member

So it's starting to get pretty cold. This weekend was nice but it was so windy that an all day ride was out of the question. Looks like I'll be calling the local storage shop this week. Sucks that the riding season is over but at least she'll be well taken care of. I just can't do sub-50 degree riding.

You should try being one of the snow-birds that come down here for the winter .... keep riding lika boss.

Beemer

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

What a total bummer! It's still fairly hot here but starting to get nice for riding. Cooling down and I am looking forward to riding all winter long.

Illegitimi non carborundum

I'll be riding for another month before storage. The other day was kind of nice and I got in a 462 mile ride on country roads. Once the sun went down I got cold though. I'm always sad to put the bike away but it also means that soon I get to take out my skis. I love to ski.(I love my bike more)

• Premium Member

Im holding out another month or so before i pull my insurance. I may not ride to work anymore because the mornings are cool and damp, but i will take advantage of any decent dry afternoons for even just a quick ride

• Global Moderator

My riding season is pretty much done too. There might be a couple of days left here and there, but with all the leaves and such I will probably call it a day until next spring.

You and Guru should get snow mobiles to fill in the gaps. Would sorta be like riding a dirt bike but in the snow.

Beemer

• Premium Member

I'm close too going to hold out for a little while longer.The Buell is stuffed back in the corner though.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member
You and Guru should get snow mobiles to fill in the gaps. Would sorta be like riding a dirt bike but in the snow.
Ha! If only. I live in an apartment right now and I have to park my bike behind my car, and it's still exposed to the elements. There is nowhere I could put a trailer with a snowmobile on it, nevermind the economics, lol. Great thought, though. 

Ha! If only. I live in an apartment right now and I have to park my bike behind my car, and it's still exposed to the elements. There is nowhere I could put a trailer with a snowmobile on it, nevermind the economics, lol. Great thought, though.
Sorry, I hope I didn't make storing the bike feel even worse than it already is.

Beemer

bmwpowere36m3

Its getting that time in CT as well... at least for me, probably once November hits. It'll get an oil change, stabil, wash, battery tender and put away.

pineappleunderthesea

Do any of you actually follow the recommendations in the manual that says to pull the spark plugs, add some oil in the holes, and crank the engine (with plugs out) to lubricate the cylinders?

Never did it in the 4 years I owned my Honda Shadow, just put fuel stabilizer and battery tender on that bike.

bmwpowere36m3

No, unless it won't be started for years or stored in humid environment. The only thing I remember fogging was our marine engines.

Good question. I have read that instead of removing the spark plugs (a bit of a hassle) you can just spray fogging oil into the air intake until the engine stalls. Has anyone tried this? I'm hesitant to do it since it sounds like a sketchy shortcut...

• Premium Member
Fortunately where I live I can ride 365 days of the year :)
That's funny. 3 days ago it was 106. Yesterday in the 90s and just 7am this morning its already 75. Ok I guess that's just rubbing it in a little  :D

If your going to spray it in just do it till it starts to show blue smoke
at the exhaust then knock it off don't do it till it stalls or you may have
problems starting it in spring.

Storage? What is this stor-age? My FZ will be sitting outside next to my 8 year old gixxer all winter. I got the Dowco Weatherall Plus cover on both bikes. The gixxer has been out there since I bought it in 07, and it's perfectly fine. I keep it on a battery tender, and start her up every few weeks. Luckily, here in the DC area we generally have at least a couple days I can ride every month during the winter. Last winter was a little rough though. I hated seeing my bike covered with a foot of snow for weeks at a time. Maybe I'll put the FZ in my parents garage if it looks like we're gonna get slammed this year.

• Global Moderator
I sold my snowmobile at the end of last season. :-S

bmwpowere36m3
Good question. I have read that instead of removing the spark plugs (a bit of a hassle) you can just spray fogging oil into the air intake until the engine stalls. Has anyone tried this? I'm hesitant to do it since it sounds like a sketchy shortcut...
Its not sketchy... you can buy aerosol fogging oil that is sprayed into the intake tract. The directions usually say to keeping spraying till engine dies.  We used to pour marvel mystery oil directly into the carb till the motor (350 chevy marine inboard) died. Man that would make a lot of smoke... even more in the spring. 

here in the DC area we generally have at least a couple days I can ride every month during the winter
You wrote that wrong. It should have said, "there are a couple days where I *CAN'T* ride". We barely get any rumors of snow let alone the real thing. My record temp is 9 deg F in Chicago. That was not fun. In DC if it's over 20F and no ice and snow on the roads, I ride. :)
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

I should be good year round, maybe a short hiatus in January or February if it snows like last year. Usually the worst we get are just cold temps.

Everything went braap.

There is a decent 'How To' winter storage write up. respect-048.gif
Thanks Guru, that was just what I was looking for.   
Unfortunately here on Canada's East Coast it will have to be put away for a few months.  It's going to painful walking by the FZ-07 on the way to pick up the snow shovel ...

Archived