The MT-07 Forum

Started Emailing Dealers for FZ-07 quotes

timemage

I sold my Ninja 250 that I had for 5 years (great bike) and am now currently without a bike. After reading reviews online I am definitely leaning towards buying a FZ-07. This review (http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2015/04/article/2015-middleweight-sport-twins-shootout-conclusion/) in particular influenced my decision as they all say it's fun to ride and give it a 10 for overall comfort. Anyway one dealer replied asking if I was interested in the FZ-09 instead and he could give me a really good deal on it. I replied asking for an OTD price on it but I've read mixed things on the comfort of the bike - how is it compared to the FZ-07? I also read there are minor issues the FZ-09 have that the FZ-07 don't.

Anyway I'm hoping someone can direct me to a review/comparison that highlights their differences and also offer advice on how much of a deal should I be looking for on an FZ-09 before I choose that over a FZ-07. I sent out emails almost exclusively for new bikes but also did send an email for a 2015 FZ-07 (said to be like new and pictures look good but I haven't seen it in person) with around 1k miles on it asking for an OTD price. Ideally what should I try to get that for?

Smile Support Society. We play horror/retro games:
(
)

bmwpowere36m3

My only comment.... when I asked for OTD prices over the phone or email, I never really got competitive ones. I had to go in person and negotiate... which takes time and effort.

I settled on the second dealer at $7500 OTD, figured I could get it slightly cheaper, maybe, but I didn't want to drive all over creation for it and wait around. They also had the only graphite FZ07 in CT at the time, which I wanted.

My only comment.... when I asked for OTD prices over the phone or email, I never really got competitive ones. I had to go in person and negotiate... which takes time and effort. 
I settled on the second dealer at $7500 OTD, figured I could get it slightly cheaper, maybe, but I didn't want to drive all over creation for it and wait around. They also had the only graphite FZ07 in CT at the time, which I wanted.
Where did you get your bike? Guess who else is in CT.
(
)

Yeah it doesn't seem like email is going that great for me either. I did get two 7500 OTD quotes from NY dealers but most want 8000 which I won't do. I'll just have to keep at it and hope something good comes up or bite the bullet and get one from NY. Danbury doesn't have any more FZ-07s.

(
)

The dealers do not have much of a way to gauge how serious a buyer you are from an email. Hence the tepid response.

The magic words are "I am ready to buy, I am ready to deal, I am ready to right you a check.... right now, today." Anything to that effect will get the ball rolling and get you a better offer.

Well tomorrow I'm going to start calling places and I'll let them know I'm ready to deal and visit any place that seems promising from my calls. I'm looking for liquid graphite too so here's hoping I find a place that has it.

(
)

bmwpowere36m3
Yeah it doesn't seem like email is going that great for me either. I did get two 7500 OTD quotes from NY dealers but most want 8000 which I won't do. I'll just have to keep at it and hope something good comes up or bite the bullet and get one from NY. Danbury doesn't have any more FZ-07s.
I did the same... NY, NJ and PA.  Don't forget you'll still have to pay local CT taxes and reg, so a $7500 OTD (out of state) will become a ~$8K purchase. The best deal I found was in PA (Tyrone, PA I think), they wanted $6.4K OTD + CT tax and reg. So in total maybe close to $7k (including gas to get down their, 10hr trip). They only had a red FZ and I would have to devote a day to pick it up... in the end I was happy to have the color I wanted and close by for only a few hundred dollars more.

• Premium Member

You may find, as did I, that many dealers aren't even going to respond to you for an 07 because... well, they don't have to! They have been selling all they get in the door without doing anything. Of course, who knows how long it will be until supply catches up with and overcomes demand. Until then, you will be lucky to get a bike OTD at retail, imho. And, under the current market conditions that is probably not too bad. Buy, ride, enJOY!!!

I did the same... NY, NJ and PA.  Don't forget you'll still have to pay local CT taxes and reg, so a $7500 OTD (out of state) will become a ~$8K purchase. The best deal I found was in PA (Tyrone, PA I think), they wanted $6.4K OTD + CT tax and reg. So in total maybe close to $7k (including gas to get down their, 10hr trip). They only had a red FZ and I would have to devote a day to pick it up... in the end I was happy to have the color I wanted and close by for only a few hundred dollars more.

I meant 7500 OTD Inc tax I pay in CT but I can do better now. I read your post and you said a dealer might get liquid graphite in June. What dealer was that? I have only found red (and used white) for 2015 so far.
(
)

bmwpowere36m3

They have a list of dealers on Yamahas site, I think I called: Libby's, New Haven PS, Danbury PS, NECC (Hartford), Excaliber (near Pachaug state forest), and some others.

I don't remember, I think it was Libby's that was getting the graphite... I'd be surprised if they still have it.

It probably isn't the best idea to buy a bike in less than 48 hours after deciding you want one but I went out and bought one tonight. I think I got a solid price on it. 2015 Liquid Graphite for $7100 OTD and I bought Engine Guards for another $160 and Heated Grips for $90. Total Damage was $7365 with tax. Considering MSRP + tax on the bike would be $7434 I bought it with less than 5 minutes negotiating price. The bike was still in the box so after they get it all set up they are even dropping it off at my place for me. Thanks to everyone who posted links/advice.

(
)

Archived