The MT-07 Forum

Thinking about getting an FZ-07 but....

chilli42

Can I ask your opinion on if you think that the FZ-07 should come with ABS (even an option)? And does it need ABS in your experience?

I'm coming from a Ducati Scrambler and it is reassuring. If ABS is pretty standard these day, I can't figure out why it at least isn't an option for increased cost. At least they'd be able to keep the price down for those who don't want it.

If you really want ABS I am sure you can find a European bike that has been crashed and buy the ABS unit.

As for whether it needs it... Have you ever activated the ABS on your current bike? Do you ride in the rain a lot? If no then I think you will be fine. I've been in one situation where it would have been nice to have, but I don't think it would have made the incident any different. It was a panic brake and I had the tail kick up a little on me when I locked the brakes. If I was any closer to the vehicle in front of me I would have eaten WRX spoiler, and ABS wouldn't have saved me either way. So if you ask me, it is a want, not a need.

• Global Moderator

I would have payed extra for it if it was an option, but I have not missed it. I seldom ride in the rain though. The brake feedback is really good and I feel pretty confident when I do practice quick stops.

You are coming from a Ducati Scrambler? Does that mean you got rid of it or intending to replace it?

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Global Moderator

HI @chilli42, thanks for joining.

Will the FZ07 come with ABS? Probably not. They only offer them in countries where ABS is mandatory, mostly European countries. The FZ07 offering in the US and Canada are simple (and easy for Yamaha). For 2016, you have two colors. That's it.
Does the bike need ABS? I don't think so. I have yet to experience the limits of its brakes. I might have locked the rear brake once or twice, but that is a non event. Both front and back are perfectly capable of stopping the bike and are easy to manage.

Might I ask why you decided to part from your Scrambler? Seems like a nice bike.

All I can say is not once in all the years of braking hard would ABS have made any stop turn out any better and ABS caaan lock up.

Beemer

You are coming from a Ducati Scrambler? Does that mean you got rid of it or intending to replace it?
I have it up for sale. 

HI @chilli42, thanks for joining.  
Will the FZ07 come with ABS? Probably not. They only offer them in countries where ABS is mandatory, mostly European countries. The FZ07 offering in the US and Canada are simple (and easy for Yamaha). For 2016, you have two colors. That's it.
Does the bike need ABS? I don't think so. I have yet to experience the limits of its brakes. I might have locked the rear brake once or twice, but that is a non event. Both front and back are perfectly capable of stopping the bike and are easy to manage.

Might I ask why you decided to part from your Scrambler? Seems like a nice bike.
I have the Full Throttle version. It is a lovely bike, but I'm not sure its for me. Hard to put my finger on it but I feel like it's trying a bit to hard. It gets a lot of attention, is not that pratical and the ergo isn't great for me. The Termi exhaust sounds amazing but the V Twin/Throttle response doesn't feel as smooth as I'd like. Prob about the same power and torque as th FZ.   
album-72157658644510518

• Global Moderator

Feel free to post your Scrambler in our For Sale section here.

Perhaps there is a FZ07 infidel who is interested. Who knows, maybe even trade or swap !

off topic; How did you get the Michelin Star?  :D

I traded a Scrambler for mine. I've had many Ducs, but the jerky first two gears irritated me. I am enthralled with the FZ. I always want ABS, but am ok without.

suspiciouspackage

I had an instance where ABS would've made a major difference but it came down to mental for me.

Riding down a highway going 70 with the flow of traffic when suddenly my lane (carpool lane with double white lines) slows down to 40. I did keep a safe following distance too, I did 3 seconds. I hit the brakes but I didn't lock up my front, I locked up my rear. Guessing it was my car instincts that got my right foot down hard enough to lock up. I fishtailed for a couple seconds and recovered and by that time, traffic sped up again. I wasn't necessarily shaken up by it but I did think about what I did when I got home. I think my upper body controlled the situation very nicely. Hands didn't freak out, arms didn't lock up, and I didn't panic. I just got off the rear brake and let the bike sort itself out. In that situation it's true; the bike knows more than you on how to keep itself upright.

The way I think about it is that you should hone your skills (mentally and physically) first. Not saying ABS is stupid or useless but relying on ABS should be thought of as a last resort sort of thing. It's better to ride with the mindset that you have (and actually do possess) the skills to get yourself out of a jam rather than rely on the computer to clean up your mess. I'm fairly certain there's a bunch of riders out there that because they have ABS, don't think it's necessary to learn the concept of emergency braking because they have ABS.

I could go on but I think I'd be repeating myself and there's probably other people who can say it better.

Feel free to post your Scrambler in our For Sale section here
Perhaps there is a FZ07 infidel who is interested. Who knows, maybe even trade or swap !

I was a chef in a former life!

• Global Moderator
Feel free to post your Scrambler in our For Sale section here

I was a chef in a former life!
Cool !  Did you earn the star?

With the 9000G engine braking of FZ07, you can easily stop the bike within small distances. I was as concerned as you when I was planning to buy my FZ07 but I haven't missed it ever (and I hope I don't have to).

I think your main concern should be the engine braking :D. Have you test ridden the FZ07? If not, please do. I love the engine braking but for you it might be a bigger surprise than the missing ABS.

With the 9000G engine braking of FZ07, you can easily stop the bike within small distances. I was as concerned as you when I was planning to buy my FZ07 but I haven't missed it ever (and I hope I don't have to).  
I think your main concern should be the engine braking :D. Have you test ridden the FZ07? If not, please do. I love the engine braking but for you it might be a bigger surprise than the missing ABS.

Seriously, the first time I rode the FZ, I was worried people were going to rear end me if I let off the throttle without flashing my brake lights. I use the brake lever to flash my brake lights while just engine braking more often than I acutally use the brakes to slow down. Then the brakes are pretty good on top of the excellent engine braking.

2015 FZ-07, Graphite
Puig Touring windscreen, custom fit frame sliders, graves fender eliminator, evotech radiator guard, mad hornets adjustable levers, and coming soon, two brothers S1R and EJK
RIP 01 DRZ-400 (crank failure)

Archived