The MT-07 Forum

Recommendations for ear phones?

chickenchickendinner

chickenchickendinner

Looking to get some ear phones or speakers but can't decide on what. Would like to listen to music and or answer phone calls. So far i have the $10 skulls ones and they suck because they fall off and have terrible sound. I'm so used to using headphones from V-MODA M100's that i can't find any ear phones with that kind of quality sound or come near it. Was looking at Senas m5 or something like that ($90) but read that phone calls was great but sound of music wasn't (mixed reviews from everyone)...any of you experience riders recommend a good set of ear phones with great music sound quality and pretty good bass?

• Premium Member

You're only going to be able to hear limited quality music while also being able to hear what's around you while riding and going at speeds. I'm cool with listening to music and all but you don't want to put yourself in danger drowning out the noise around you. It's illegal to wear headphones on motorcycles in California and to be honest i think bluetooth is easier and safer. Especially switching between music and answering calls. If you want to get a good cheap bluetooth system then try the Sena 3S. I have this system on one of my helmets and you can barely tell the helmet has bluetooth installed besides a very thin strip for the two buttons that control it. The batteries are built into the speakers.

• Premium Member

I've worn my Klipsch I9's on occasion and really, the sound quality is meh on a bike. Mind you, these are $500, very nice ear buds. The bike just wrecks any fidelity you would otherwise have.

I recommend something loud and cheap, cause it's going to sound bad regardless.

Everything went braap.

invisiblekawiguy

Ive tried Apple earbuds to the chatterbox and so far, I've been happiest with these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RMZSADK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't think they'd do very well for phones calls, but fairly solid for music. They let in just enough sound but block out a good amount of air. For $20 bucks, they're worth a shot to see if they fit your needs

1_zpsa5e7e660.jpg

• Global Moderator

I would also recommend the sena bluetooth system
i personally have the smh10r
everything is as thin as it possibly can be... battery is mounted on the rear of the helmet and replaceable... built in mic for full face helmet and boom mic for modulars
wiring is thin as hell and easily fits between padding and helmet w/o noticing it

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Shure SE 215. They are actually sound cancelling none of this rubber junk you see on your run of the mill $25.00 ear buds but actually a foam that is similar to what ear plugs are made out of. With the sound cancelling you can have your music low to save your ear drums which is good! You can also here traffic if you turn your music down which is good! Best of all you can use these in any loud environment which is goooood! I use mine at work, plane rides and if I'm driving with my girlfriend if she has her terrible music on. They cost about 125.00 Canadian from amazon. They also have different models which go up to 700.00 or something ridiculous like that. Are they comfortable you ask? You bet your sweet bippy they are! Do they stay in your ear securely while performing strenuous activities? Hell ya! Sound quality any good? Most definitely! The sound quality is great and i have had some fairly well known headphones to compare to. Bose, Allen & Heath, Seinheiser, Audio Technica and the list goes on. Anyways.... that's just my humble right opinion I layed out in front of you hope you make the right decision.

chickenchickendinner
Shure SE 215. They are actually sound cancelling none of this rubber junk you see on your run of the mill $25.00 ear buds but actually a foam that is similar to what ear plugs are made out of. With the sound cancelling you can have your music low to save your ear drums which is good! You can also here traffic if you turn your music down which is good! Best of all you can use these in any loud environment which is goooood! I use mine at work, plane rides and if I'm driving with my girlfriend if she has her terrible music on. They cost about 125.00 Canadian from amazon. They also have different models which go up to 700.00 or something ridiculous like that. Are they comfortable you ask? You bet your sweet bippy they are! Do they stay in your ear securely while performing strenuous activities? Hell ya! Sound quality any good? Most definitely! The sound quality is great and i have had some fairly well known headphones to compare to. Bose, Allen & Heath, Seinheiser, Audio Technica and the list goes on. Anyways.... that's just my humble right opinion I layed out in front of you hope you make the right decision.
I've tried different pairs of shure SE and didn't like them one bit. I thought the $10 skulls were better than the $250 SE 315 or whatever higher model it was. Just my opinion...not trying to bash on your comment btw...maybe I got a faulty set?  

• Premium Member

X 2 for the skull Candy, the jib for 10 bucks because no matter what you spend they break so 10 bucks doesn't hurt when they go. I bought some bose for over 100 and they are no good for riding.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member
I've tried different pairs of shure SE and didn't like them one bit. I thought the $10 skulls were better than the $250 SE 315 or whatever higher model it was. Just my opinion...not trying to bash on your comment btw...maybe I got a faulty set?

Ya possibly. I have the SE 215 set and they sound pretty nice. I've always wanted to use the SE 315 ones to hear the difference but that is surprising they sound not great. I only listen to lossless quality files too which helps. I know that some cheaper headphones will sound better on .mp3 than an expensive set. Where did you listen to the SE 315? They don't demo in ear headphones any place that I live which sucks

• Premium Member

I have used LG hbs-730 and HBS-800 bluetooth headsets. Make sure you use the biggest earbuds that come with the package (I do believe there are three sizes in it) and that fit in your ear canal. That way they stay in and the sound quality is better(they will not be audiophile quality by any stretch). They pair easily with my android phone and, as an additional bonus, you can ear GPS instructions if you so desire.
Amazon refurbished makes them fairly inexpensive, but sometimes they do not have the larger ear buds.
LINKY
Marco
I am a crazy Physics Prof. Beware :o:)

chickenchickendinner

Ya possibly. I have the SE 215 set and they sound pretty nice. I've always wanted to use the SE 315 ones to hear the difference but that is surprising they sound not great. I only listen to lossless quality files too which helps. I know that some cheaper headphones will sound better on .mp3 than an expensive set. Where did you listen to the SE 315? They don't demo in ear headphones any place that I live which sucks
No store had them in stock so i bought them from amazon....then i return them. Maybe i just got faulty one, everyone keeps saying how good they are but for now... i think I'm just gonna stick to my $10 skulls lol. 

You're only going to be able to hear limited quality music while also being able to hear what's around you while riding and going at speeds. I'm cool with listening to music and all but you don't want to put yourself in danger drowning out the noise around you. It's illegal to wear headphones on motorcycles in California and to be honest i think bluetooth is easier and safer. Especially switching between music and answering calls. If you want to get a good cheap bluetooth system then try the Sena 3S. I have this system on one of my helmets and you can barely tell the helmet has bluetooth installed besides a very thin strip for the two buttons that control it. The batteries are built into the speakers.

What is the difference between sena 3s and smh10? I'm about to but a dual pack of 10s.
Smile Support Society. We play horror/retro games:
(
)

• Premium Member

The price for one. A single 3S is only $89. Also the 3S doesn't support universal intercom meaning that if someone else is using another brand then it won't synchronize with that unit. Only seen devices. The 3S is very low profile. If you look at the picture of the helmet i have it installed on, the only thing you can see is that little strip at the bottom that controls the unit. Other units have something bulky sticking out to the side like my Sena 10C i have installed on my Shoei RF1200 but i love that things.

20150912_181859.jpg
uploading images

chickenchickendinner

How's the sound quality for the 3s @fz07fanboy ? I' am waiting for headphones for motorcycles to release their product, if their product doesn't live up to the hype then I might just consider getting the 3s.

• Premium Member

The sound is loud and to me that's all I care about. Can I hear when riding the motorcycle. I wear earplugs too when riding and I can hear it fine. I'm not looking for bass or judging quality like some kind of audiophile.

• 4 weeks later...
lildevilwoman
3b26ea2229a4f96269ecf2fc68bf5a55.jpg

I just picked up the sena 20s. Fits comfortably and is amaze balls. I was rocking a pair of head phones for a while. They just get uncomfortable. The sena was totally worth it.

Get some cheap ear buds, and get some Comply foam tips for them to help insulate the wind noise. I use Skullcandy earbuds with the Comply tips and it works reasonably well.

I've got a Sena too and it's better for using the phone, but IMO it doesn't have enough volume for listening to music. I only use it when riding with others - riding solo I still use the earbuds.

• 1 month later...
I would also recommend the sena bluetooth system i personally have the smh10r
everything is as thin as it possibly can be... battery is mounted on the rear of the helmet and replaceable... built in mic for full face helmet and boom mic for modulars
wiring is thin as hell and easily fits between padding and helmet w/o noticing it
Another fine piece of kit you've got there @sorkyah , I've been eyeing the SMH10R up for some time. 
I'd love to get the dimensions on the battery of that system :P

I've been wondering if I could retrofit it to the Shark Evoline I've got, it's probably not going to fit in the neckroll like the Shark system, but worth investigating.

• Global Moderator

Ill snap a pic in the morning for ya
its too damn cold in the garage

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

If you want to gum something into your helmet with "good sound for the buck" you could look into Koss-ksc75. Cant say how they would be at speed with all the noise but its a very inexpensive option (approx 15$) to mess around with.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/koss-ksc75-portable-stereophone-headphones.'>http://www.head-fi.org/products/koss-ksc75-portable-stereophone-headphones.

Foamy/silicone style earbuds are, in my humble opinion, dangerous for situational awareness but hey Im no one's mother. ;) Personally I would only use them during long open rides.  

I would recommend browsing  http://www.head-fi.org/
It's where its at for hp info.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Archived