The MT-07 Forum

Front Sprocket Cover Removal?

tanner68

Since noob questions are fairly welcome in our forum.... can you take the plate off without touching the "gear shift actuator arm"? If you need to get that out of the way, what is the preferred method? Any tips or tricks? I know we had a thread about front sprocket cleaning recently, but the gear shift arm part wasn't covered well.

• Premium Member

Remove the plastic boot from the shifting linkage, remove 1 allen bolt, the shifter will drop and the linkage moved out of the way.

Then remove (I think 3) allen bolts from the cover. Remove the cover, remove the chain guide (plastic piece, you'll understand once the cover is off) and that's it. Reassemble in reverse. If you have white lithium grease, put some on the linkage joint before the rubber boot goes back on.

Everything went braap.

I am pretty sure that the rod needs to be out of the way,I would remove the hex bolt on the top under the rubber booth and that should clear the way.I haven't done yet but that looks like the only way,make sure you're using good hex tools I read that bolts are pretty darn tight.I am a slow when it comes to typing he bet me to it^^^ 

Got it. Doing it now. Thanks guys. Does the allen bolt from shifter linkage need lock tight. It looks like it had some blue on it. Could use it, must use it, you are fine without, use a little if you have some....???

Edit: Found some blue thread locker so I used a bit.

Man, was there a ton of grease in there. Glad that is taken care of. 

Archived