The MT-07 Forum

Unboxing Matris with my QA Inspector

fzonly1

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow!!!
Let us know your impressions when you can test your new suspensions!!

www.MT-Series.it
Yamaha Official MT-Series Club

• Premium Member

Oh I will! They are burnin a hole in those boxes!! I can't wait to get them on the bike.

• Premium Member

Following this action...
I have my shock on, and love it. Haven't done the fork yet. Looking forward to a breakdown of how the install went and the end result!

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

Soon as my triple tree stand comes in I'm all over it. @rowdy was the rear shock install difficult at all? Seems fairly simple.

Right on!

I'm running Matris front and rear and absolutely love it.

Rear shock install is pretty straightforward. The stumbling point for me was in the fork. The bolt that holds the stock damper rod was a pain to spin off. However patience is key and eventually paid off.

Good luck with the install. Totally worth the investment!!

• Premium Member
Soon as my triple tree stand comes in I'm all over it. @rowdy was the rear shock install difficult at all? Seems fairly simple.
The rear is easy once you get the bike lifted and stable.  I used a rear stand and a front stand, then put jacks under the frame below the foot pegs.  That allowed m to adjust the rear lift with my foot to line up the shock mount holes. 
[attachment id=982" thumbnail="1]
[attachment id=983" thumbnail="1]

• Premium Member
More importantly, what was the result of the QA's inspection :-)

The inspector was impressed. lol. And boy was he thorough! He even checked all 4 corners of Paige's business card! This guy doesn't miss a thing!!5697CDDE-D8D1-45DD-9DD8-EFC88BFC4E3C_zpsntxpzoy4.jpg

I was also impressed. These parts are HIGH Quality. The fork components are almost too pretty to cover up inside the fork tubes.

How hard is it to install the fork kit? Interested in getting it
Depends on your skill set. YouTube, a factory manual, and a little research are your best friends.

• Premium Member

How hard is it to install the fork kit? Interested in getting it
Depends on your skill set. YouTube, a factory manual, and a little research are your best friends.

Yup, those are my lifelines for sure. I'm a boilermaker/pipefitter by trade... Learning those trades takes years and years.. And I'm still learning everyday. That's why I love this forum, I get to learn from ppl who have ridden for a LONG time and worked on the same stuff many times over. After seeing the kinda work coming outta my local dealer. I'm more confident in myself, versus them, or a local mechanic.

easiest way to get the stubborn bolt out is to compress the snot out of the forks (obviously spring in) and then take an impact driver to it.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

fzonly1. Would you mind telling us what fork kit did you buy(model designation) and how much they were? Fork kit and rear shock. I would like to get this setup for my bike. Looks like you got them from PJSparts. I need to upgrade for a better quality of ride for commuting and casual riding.

modmaster

• Premium Member

fzonly1. Would you mind telling us what fork kit did you buy(model designation) and how much they were? Fork kit and rear shock. I would like to get this setup for my bike. Looks like you got them from PJSparts. I need to upgrade for a better quality of ride for commuting and casual riding.  
modmaster

http://www.pjsparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=19&products_id=5492
The forks are $578.00
Matris F15K Fork Cartridge Kit for Yamaha FZ-07
[F15Y125K]

http://www.pjsparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=19&products_id=5455

Rear shock $573.00
Matris KD Rear Shock for Yamaha FZ-07
[MY120.1KD]

PJ's was great to do business with. Paige understands what real customer service is all about, and that's rare these days.

• Premium Member

Looks like a great setup. Im wishing the CAD dollar wasnt sucking so bad, its going to a while longer before i have enough stashed aside for a suspension upgrade.

• Premium Member

Looks like a great setup. Im wishing the CAD dollar wasnt sucking so bad, its going to a while longer before i have enough stashed aside for a suspension upgrade.

Thanks! I was only going to buy some sonic springs at first, then I saw the "street box," by hyperpro and figured that'd be a good way to go for the money. But after a lot of weighing options I figured since this was a bike I plan to keep, I'd spring for something with a little more adjustability. I plan to get a sport touring bike once the FZ is paid off but I can't see trading in or selling such a great little bike.

• Premium Member
67F2F92A-DAD9-4C39-B9BB-0CD38B556BF6_zps04ewu3fe.jpg
2FBE1EAB-0D96-48A8-8510-E96290D367F1_zpsa97qjwd1.jpg
6F67FFF4-649C-4F85-9485-5652EAFF58DA_zpsg1cobwms.jpg
Couldn't wait... Had to at least install the shock. I get my front stand on Sunday and then I'll work on the fork.

• Premium Member

The rear is easy once you get the bike lifted and stable.  I used a rear stand and a front stand, then put jacks under the frame below the foot pegs.  That allowed m to adjust the rear lift with my foot to line up the shock mount holes. 
[attachment thumbnail=1" id="982]
[attachment thumbnail=1" id="983]

@rowdy,
Thanks for showing how you lifted the bike for shock install. I was able to do it with out the front stand. Just chocked the front wheel. Did you reinstall the nut on the threaded end of the shock at the rear end? Or just torque it down?
I was worried I had the shock installed upside down but it only lines up one way. Can you take a few pictures of yours closer up so We can see its orientation. Italian instructions don't help much. ????

• Premium Member

Oh I will! They are burnin a hole in those boxes!! I can't wait to get them on the bike.
What is your bodyweight? Just curious... I am a 240lb weightlifter which equates to 265lb+ with gear usually. The stock suspension is going to be the first thing to go for me. If you are heavier I'd like to know how much this work helped you when you get it done!
I'm right under 240 with gear. So I got the bike sprung for that weight. Just got the shock on an hour or so ago. I'm hoping to get the fork done during the week. I can tell you that just sitting on it with the new shock feels noticeably higher in the rear.

• Premium Member

@rowdy, Thanks for showing how you lifted the bike for shock install. I was able to do it with out the front stand. Just chocked the front wheel. Did you reinstall the nut on the threaded end of the shock at the rear end? Or just torque it down?
I was worried I had the shock installed upside down but it only lines up one way. Can you take a few pictures of yours closer up so We can see its orientation. Italian instructions don't help much. ????
Yea, I was worried about the orientation too, and sent PJs an image to validate which side should be up. Here's the image, and according PJs the left side in the picture is top (or up) when mounted, and that's how I mounted mine.
Is that how you mounted yours?
Also, I did install the nut, I just didn't torque it down too tight.
[attachment id=1006" thumbnail="1]

• Premium Member

@rowdy, Thanks for showing how you lifted the bike for shock install. I was able to do it with out the front stand. Just chocked the front wheel. Did you reinstall the nut on the threaded end of the shock at the rear end? Or just torque it down?
Yea, I was worried about the orientation too, and sent PJs an image to validate which side should be up. Here's the image, and according PJs the left side in the picture is top (or up) when mounted, and that's how I mounted mine.
[attachment thumbnail=1" id="1006]

Yup, that's the only way I could get it to line up in the rear. I just took it to the store and now the front seems SUPER bouncy! The bolt has just enough threads to put the nut back on and I went ahead and torqued it to spec as well. seems fine C59E0C7C-C687-4402-BCB9-78A504EC5375_zpsaik0rvuu.jpg

• Premium Member

Yup, that's the only way I could get it to line up in the rear. I just took it to the store and now the front seems SUPER bouncy! The bolt has just enough threads to put the nut back on and I went ahead and torqued it to spec as well. seems fine C59E0C7C-C687-4402-BCB9-78A504EC5375_zpsaik0rvuu.jpg
That's just how I installed mine.  I did install the OEM nut, but used it more like a lock nut.  Yea... the fork becomes more noticeable once the rear is working well.  I thought the front was pretty good compared to the stock rear shock, but once I swapped the shock, the front is weak!  I'm hoping I get some time in the near future to get the Matris cartridges installed. 

Archived