The MT-07 Forum

Unboxing Matris with my QA Inspector

fzonly1

• Premium Member

You guys are the best.. Then I'm good to go. It's def snug. I'm hoping to get her out this afternoon.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

I started her up. Nothing dialed in. I just wanted her to flex a little. And omg the confidence in braking is amazing. Simply night and day. I went from being overly cautious, to rippin thru corners I would have normally eased thru. I need to dial these things in ASAP.

• Premium Member

Good to hear man!  I'm so jealous.  It was way to freakin' cold here today, so I didn't even get a ride in.

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

Good to hear man!  I'm so jealous.  It was way to freakin' cold here today, so I didn't even get a ride in. 

Super windy, In the low 40's here. All I have is my summer gear but I didn't mind for the 20 minutes that I got to ride her. The cold won't stick around. Gonna be in the high 70's for thanksgiving. Houston weather changes by the minute.

• Premium Member

Anything close to the 70 is history here for at least 4 months. I take trips south (St.George, UT, Mesquite, NV) to get out of the cold, and I always take my road bicycle so I can get some big miles in. If I had a trailer I could take the FZ-07, but I won't ride it down there, because there are stretches where you can (and I did, back when I had my Magna 750) get caught in a surprise snow storm (froze my arse off). But then again, I've been thinking of buying a trailer too. :)

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

Thanks! @etorty
I was able to take the fender off in one piece. Glad I torqued the pinch bolts correctly.

• Premium Member

Anything close to the 70 is history here for at least 4 months. I take trips south (St.George, UT, Mesquite, NV) to get out of the cold, and I always take my road bicycle so I can get some big miles in. If I had a trailer I could take the FZ-07, but I won't ride it down there, because there are stretches where you can (and I did, back when I had my Magna 750) get caught in a surprise snow storm (froze my arse off). But then again, I've been thinking of buying a trailer too. :)
Now weather app is showing 80 for turkey day. Lol. Looks like I can keep the summer jacket n gloves out a while longer.

• Premium Member

Nice! I just got a large, tacky looking, orange and white sticker. :(
I got 2 of those also! Lol. I wanted these small ones on the forks but they won't stick.

Thanks! @etorty I was able to take the fender off in one piece. Glad I torqued the pinch bolts correctly.
I took mine off in one piece, but could figure out how to put it back on w/o taking it apart. And then my brain got totally mix-mastered trying to figure out what bolt and bracket went where. They couldn't have just put it on with 4 bolts?  
Oddly enough, the upper pinch clamps are tighter than the ones in the lower triple clamp. I see stuff like that and wonder if it's a mistake. My Aprilia manual has 3, 3mm screws listed at 110 ft-lbs. lol.

Sounds like the Matris is a success. Having nice suspension bits transforms this bike and the smile on yer face!!! 

• Premium Member

Thanks! @etorty I was able to take the fender off in one piece. Glad I torqued the pinch bolts correctly.
I took mine off in one piece, but could figure out how to put it back on w/o taking it apart. And then my brain got totally mix-mastered trying to figure out what bolt and bracket went where. They couldn't have just put it on with 4 bolts?  
Oddly enough, the upper pinch clamps are tighter than the ones in the lower triple clamp. I see stuff like that and wonder if it's a mistake. My Aprilia manual has 3, 3mm screws listed at 110 ft-lbs. lol.

Sounds like the Matris is a success. Having nice suspension bits transforms this bike and the smile on yer face!!! 
Yeah I read that post about having trouble with that fender so as I removed it I left all the bolts in there respective holes, taped a few to hold em there. Made it much easier when putting things back together. No lost bolts this time around. Once the forks were bolted back on I just came in from the bottom with that fender. You gotta squeeze it a little in the middle to get it to slip back on but it worked. I've found so many loose bolts on my bike it's crazy. I watched that presentation of the new Yamaha bikes and their vision for the future, and the whole time I'm thinking, just figure out how to torque A damn bolt on your existing models first before One of us rides off the lot and the bike falls apart. I'm dying to go on a longer ride so I can see how these new suspension bits are gonna work out. I'll need a helper to get it set up as well. So who knows when that'll happen.

snug up a cable tie to the right side fork leg and do some careful brake tests to see how much travel yer using. With the bike on the side stand, you can push up on the right bar until the fork tops out and then measure to the cable tie's highest spot on the stanchion.

Any more ride impressions FZonly1? I'm in analysis paralysis with what to do with both ends of mine as stock it is virtually unrideable, the front jars my neck and the rear my lower back, mainly because our roads around here are fairly ordinary, but also because the front is too harsh and the back has no rebound damping! :( So whether I go Matris, Nitron, Ohlins or just have GVEs is my dilemma. And every useful piece of information from guys like you who have done the work already is gold! :)

• Premium Member

Good timing @007, just took her out for 20 min or so. I haven't done the tie wrap deal yet, but I did make sure the settings suggested by Mātris were set on the fork before riding. The rear feels noticeably plush in comparison to the stock shock. Less bounce overall. Seems to glide over almost anything with recommended settings from Mātris. Now the front needs some tuning. First impressions of the front were harsh. I started to think maybe I didn't bleed all the air from the cartridge. At 40mph, over small rippled pavement the front seems unsettled. Feels more planted in low speed turn ins. However that harshness returns if pavement is rippled. At 60 on the highway it felt much better through larger dips and bumps. Front end dive is completely gone under braking which is great. I'll need a helper to set the sag at least. I have no baseline to work from. e6c82f83af22c1af42cd82605f30d2a6.jpg

• Premium Member

you'll probably want to do what I did to the Matris kit I took apart and reworked. http://fz07.org/thread/3210/new-matris-f15-cartridge-thoughts?page=5

I just read that entire thread. Probably the 3rd or 4th time now. I read it before buying and installing these things, but only now do I realize exactly what you meant. If it means tearing open the C leg one more time then so be it. Just hope I don't tear anything up in the process. There are so many little parts once it's torn apart I'm worried I won't get it back together correctly.

That's why ahem, suspension mods like these really isn't a DIY proposition. Well, it would be if the company had their head screwed on but unfortunately the 2 main players in this space have shown they have significant room for improvement.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

you'll probably want to do what I did to the Matris kit I took apart and reworked. http://fz07.org/thread/3210/new-matris-f15-cartridge-thoughts?page=5

I just read that entire thread. Probably the 3rd or 4th time now. I read it before buying and installing these things, but only now do I realize exactly what you meant. If it means tearing open the C leg one more time then so be it. Just hope I don't tear anything up in the process. There are so many little parts once it's torn apart I'm worried I won't get it back together correctly.
You can try doing what I did - use a lighter viscosity fluid in the C leg. I used Redline Extra light, but Torco RF5 is also readily available. Both are near 10 cSt http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/index.php?title=Suspension_Fluid 
There's still too much compression damping in my Andreani set-up for my taste, but I'd be happier with plush than taught. Still, it's no where near what i would call harsh. 

• Premium Member

You can try doing what I did - use a lighter viscosity fluid in the C leg. I used Redline Extra light, but Torco RF5 is also readily available. Both are near 10 cSt http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/index.php?title=Suspension_Fluid 
There's still too much compression damping in my Andreani set-up for my taste, but I'd be happier with plush than taught. Still, it's no where near what i would call harsh. 
I'll definitely try to get the best ride out of it before I tear it down again. Not that it's a big deal to pull apart. At least I wouldn't be messing with oil seals and bushings again. Maybe @pattonme can hook me up with the parts I need to fix up the Comp leg as he did IF The ride quality doesn't improve enough. Lord knows I've already paid enough for these things, might as well get them to work correctly. I'm not AS afraid of it as I was before the install. I like learning about this stuff too as I go.

One other goofy thing that I discovered.

Don't know if it's something I did in the process or it was there all along and I just didn't notice until the springs were a bit stiffer and there was far more damping in both directions, but I have a fair amount of stiction in my forks. And I think most of it is in the seals ( I reused the OE ones, btw). W/o trying very hard, I was able to get another 7.5mm (just shy of 90mm total) of max travel just by lifting the dust seals and giving the fork tubes above the seals a light spritz of silicone and putting the dust seals back down.

That didn't last long of course. So, along with doing some creative valve work ( I'll be getting back to you, sir, at some point when it's snowing) I'm thinking of also switching to these seals -

They are a bit pricey (and there is a set for the FZ7), but as you can see in that vid, they are slick as a whistle (odd expression, lol)  

• Premium Member

I have pistons and some more ideas as to how best to remedy the situation.
I'm all ears!

Archived