The MT-07 Forum

Unboxing Matris with my QA Inspector

fzonly1

...no news?
Waiting on the pin for my front stand I picked up this weekend to come in from revzilla. Also diggin thru the threads to make sure I have everything I need once I get started. I read something about replacing the inner/outer tube bushings and O ring. Not sure its necessary. Also i want to know if fork tubes must come off first before I go thru the trouble and find out later that I could simply drain from the damper rod bolt at the bottom.
Ah, ok... now I understand why the days are passing... ;-) 
BTW, when I'll can install the cartridges, I will investigate about the lower bushings of my forks...
I'm happy you've decided to install new bushings you too!

www.MT-Series.it
Yamaha Official MT-Series Club

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

@rick thanks again. That really helped me understand the order of the steps better. I'm pretty sure I'll end up using an impact as well. @etorty I hope to get the bushings round the same time as that pin. Weather is gettin nice and cool in Houston finally so it's prime for gettin serious in the garage.

we've seen so many of these bushings worn already, considering how far in you'll already be, it's the way to go.

Good luck with the project. It's well rewarding when finished. You just won't believe the transformation in how the bike goes down the road.

This is all great info rowdy and fzonly1. We have a suspension guru here in Oz who also happens to be the Matris importer so guess what I'll be ordering today! Thanks again for the photos and feedback. 

The front and rear kit is around au$1500 via Capri Moto, plus postage, check the difference with local distributor, as with everything we pay too much in Australia.

• Premium Member

Hey @rick ,
Did you also replace oil seals and crush washers? Are these items available through the dealers or will I most likely need to go thru the Yamaha parts house?

I bought All-Balls kits for the seals (think Amazon - or maybe it was fleebay) but decided to not use them as the OE ones had such few miles and they came out reasonably easy and looked fine. No signs of leaks - so far

The crush washer is nothing special - any parts store will have something similar.

• Premium Member

Pit bull pin is in, and so are the new bushings thanks to @pattonme . Just getting together the last few tools I'll be needing to get started. Gonna see if the neighbor has a vice I can use. And maybe some ratchet straps as well. If not I'll be making a run to pick up a few things. I'll be posting a few pics at some point during the install. Wish me luck.

• Premium Member
Pit bull pin is in, and so are the new bushings thanks to @pattonme . Just getting together the last few tools I'll be needing to get started. Gonna see if the neighbor has a vice I can use. And maybe some ratchet straps as well. If not I'll be making a run to pick up a few things. I'll be posting a few pics at some point during the install. Wish me luck.
Thanks for the update!  I've been picking stuff up to get mine installed too.  I got the all balls kit (38-6096), and waiting for a fork seal kit (just in case).  Since I don't have an impact driver (yet), I'm Kinda waiting to see how your install goes.  ;)  

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

once you own a decent air compressor, you'll wonder how you lived so long w/o
So how big of a compressor will I need?  I've got a little Craftsman 1 hp 125 psi.  Will that run an impact wretch? 

once you own a decent air compressor, you'll wonder how you lived so long w/o
So how big of a compressor will I need?  I've got a little Craftsman 1 hp 125 psi.  Will that run an impact wretch?
For 10 seconds or so depending on tank volume, then you have to wait for it to pressurize again. 

• Premium Member

Thanks randy2100, I might try to milk it for the occasion, but it looks like I need to upgrade if I run into more of these situations.

• Premium Member
c7632c0b24a0bf3e4752fcc460c4c5dc.jpgdf44e6faabbff89608a42ac5302b8ed5.jpg
No bench vice... No ratchet straps,
Just a heavy guy squishing a shock and pulling a trigger. Worked like a charm! I'll be updating pics as I go. Only had about 20 min to spend with her tonight.

• Premium Member

Wow, that's encouraging. So you got the bottom screws out with just an 18V impact driver? I've got one of those.

• Premium Member

I have removed the nuts from the shock linkage using my 18v Milwaukee impact driver. Use to remove but don't use to install as too much torque will be applied.

Terry

• Premium Member

Wow, that's encouraging. So you got the bottom screws out with just an 18V impact driver? I've got one of those.
Yup. Pushed down on the shock with my left hand , shock placed between my feet and knees, used free hand to zap it with the impact. Way easier than I was anticipating.

some of them come out easy (the guy with the Red Loctite was on smoke break) and some are a *royal* b!

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

some of them come out easy (the guy with the Red Loctite was on smoke break) and some are a *royal* b!
Well thank The Lord for slackers! At this point I figure most bolts on my bike are little more than hand tightened.

Anyone know if the oil flow stopper n spring need to come out before sealing the fork back up?
was sorta under the impression that all you had to do was transfer the top out spring to the bottom of the cartridge slide it down the stanchion and then bolt it into the bottom of the slider.  
That plastic bit took some force(as in pounding with a broom stick handle on the floor up thru the leg) to push out the end of my fork tubes that I ground off the flange from. I'm thinking you'll have to break it to get it out the top. Having that piece out might make it easier to bleed the air from the system when you fill. But it'll make it harder to put it back to OE if you go insane. 

• Premium Member

@rick
I'm talking Bout part (20). As for a top out spring I don't see one. Only a rebound spring. (13)967d73faafbbc7a259dcb67bf5f9419f.jpg

• Premium Member
@rick I'm talking Bout part (20). As for a top out spring I don't see one. Only a rebound spring. (13)
Rebound spring and Topout spring are one in the same, Just a different description. 
Terry

Archived