The MT-07 Forum

Is the FZ-07 a more reliable design than the FZ-09?

bgordon

Is the FZ-07 a more reliable design than the FZ-09?

Just wondering because it could be an important item down the road after I buy one or the other.
Generally I keep cycles and cars for 10-20 years so long term reliability is greatly important.

Just looking and comparing the two cycles side by side leaves me with the feeling that the FZ-07 used the FZ-09 for inspiration but changed around a few problem items to make them more user friendly.
For example, the throttle mapping issue that caused the FZ-09 problems in 2014.
Another example, the suspension on the FZ-09 gets lots of criticism while the suspension of the FZ-07 is supposed to be spot on.

Initially, my opinion was that getting an FZ-07 when the FZ-09 is available for about another $1000 would be silly due to the performance difference between the two models.
Similar weight and physical dimensions and look.
Now that I have spent some time checking into the two, it seems like the FZ-07 is the more refined package.
Just too bad they didn't downsize the triple to 700cc rather than making a twin.
I sure do prefer the sound of the triple.

• Global Moderator

Ride them both and buy the one you like the most. Either should last a long time, they are both Yamaha's after all. I went with the -07 as I thought the -09 power was a bit intimidating for a new rider. A year later and I have no regrets. The torque of the twin is fantastic. Suspension is the next major mod.

Upgrading the suspension may be the most important mod you can do to the FZ07. The forks are the most urgent upgrade. Although judging by the hands down most popular topic in this forum, the exhaust is in dire need of getting swapped out. :)

Disagree Tanner about the forks being the priority. The shock is way more important than the forks. The forks are a bit soft, but the shock is waaay too soft and underdamped. It is partially why the front feels vague ( see the suspension posts). It is also partially responsible for the rear weight bias and the less than controllable wheelie tendancy. The biggest positive change you can make to the bike's feel is the rear shock/spring. The fork springs are a cheaper fix though. But then the forks really need a damping fix as well. Considering how cheap this bike is the fix is worth it.
The 09 is a different bike. Mostly things are better so long as you want the increase in capacity ( I have no interest in a motor that big on the road). The forks on it are a better starting point as well ( USD forks are a better way). The fly by wire throttle is a bit on the aweful side stock but can be tamed ( reflash/PCV).
They both sound pretty good for different reasons. The 07 for it asymmetric growl, the 09 for to loverly triple 4 stroke howl.
Me I like the more simple twin and lighter weight. Now if I could just graft a set of 09 forks and damp them properly...

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I think the 07 sounds better than the 09. Sure, people say it sounds like a sewing machine but when I've ridden hubs 09 I think it sounds like a coffee grinder.  ;)

Both machines aren't old enough yet to know which one will last longer, or be more reliable in the long run. Depends on the care and maintenance you give it.

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Depends on the care and maintenance you give it." or don't give it...

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

The FZ09 has a LOOOOONG thread on a mal-functioning cam chain tensioner. Yamaha has released 3 versions and they still haven't gotten it fixed. Fails within a few thousand miles supposedly. Triumph 675/Streets apparently also suffer from the problem. Haven't heard word one on the subject here on FZ07.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I have the 07 and have no doubt it is the right choice for me but
look carefully at the two side by side and you can see were money
as been saved on the 07.

invisiblekawiguy

I was at a toss up between both bikes up until recently, and actually almost pulled the trigger on the 09. I just could never get comfortable on it. I'm coming from a liter bike and the 09's power seemed unnecessary and counter-intuitive to what I was going for. I'm 5'8 with short legs so the height and power of the 07 felt like home the first time I rode it. Once they announced the blurple/silver color scheme for 2016 it was only a matter of time.

Long story short, ride both, and buy the one you like more. I think you'll be fairly happy with either. Not sure about the cam chain tensioner issue on the 09, but my friend has owned one since they first came out and he hasn't had any problems so far.

1_zpsa5e7e660.jpg

• Premium Member

I think a bunch of people were in the same boat for a decision 07 or 09 that is the question.For only a grand more you can have a gob of more power and tq ...... very tempting.
for me
A) I like the look better
B) better mpg
C) less on insurance
I bought the FZ as my first bike and picked up my Buell firebolt a few months later so I have something to compare it too and now I love the 07 for these reasons.
A) Comfortable ride love the seating position
B) plenty of power to get your butt put in jail
C) still love the look of this bike, modding it is fun and addictive it can be expensive but you can do it cheep if you are handy.
Don't regret getting the fZ-07 its my go to bike and although I might get another bike or two in the future I plan on keeping this thing.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

I've always heard that a single cylinder engine has less to go wrong than a multi cylinder so if that's true a twin should be more reliable than a triple. (Depending on who made it and what parts they use)

Beemer

Apparently KTM didn't get that particular memo. But to be fair, they make race engines, not Honda's 400cc air-cooled thumpers that will burn any vaguely gasoline-like fluid and mashed up bananas in the crank case.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

So what you are saying is TC should buy a Honda.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

I think a bunch of people were in the same boat for a decision 07 or 09 that is the question.For only a grand more you can have a gob of more power and tq ...... very tempting. for me
A) I like the look better
B) better mpg
C) less on insurance
I bought the FZ as my first bike and picked up my Buell firebolt a few months later so I have something to compare it too and now I love the 07 for these reasons.
A) Comfortable ride love the seating position
B) plenty of power to get your butt put in jail
C) still love the look of this bike, modding it is fun and addictive it can be expensive but you can do it cheep if you are handy.
Don't regret getting the fZ-07 its my go to bike and although I might get another bike or two in the future I plan on keeping this thing.
Thanks. Sounds like we are on the same page.
I have looked at a couple of used FZ-09 bikes that are the same price as a new FZ-07, which makes the decision even tougher.
Since both are about the same size and weight and nearly the same feel, the little things will make the difference.
Fun to ride will end up making the decision for me as long as no negatives pop up that I was not expecting.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

If you can't make a decision and all things seem equal here's how to make your decision: look long and hard at the tail light of each bike. There you will get your answer.

Illegitimi non carborundum

invisiblekawiguy
If you can't make a decision and all things seem equal here's how to make your decision: look long and hard at the tail light of each bike. There you will get your answer.

Or...buy both...????
1_zpsa5e7e660.jpg

• Premium Member

There is something to be said about drive-by-cable, and not by-wire... at least regarding initial bugs and working them out.

Archived