The MT-07 Forum

"Killer Ride" (Literally)

fzonly1

• Premium Member

I was going to explain these pictures, but as I look at them now, I'm just as speechless as the moment this young man flew by me.
E2AAEDA4-D3FA-4A5E-A804-88A11B5D7E58_zpsmmys19es.jpg
CD1E8121-D95A-4C53-88D0-DBBABECC4B39_zpstnaghrde.jpg

3F15C2DA-5BA5-47E1-AEE2-3CC00BF4F77E_zpsycbvv4hr.jpg

• Global Moderator

Is his rear tire separating?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

down to the cords I reckon. One too many rolling burnouts. Tire looks badly underinflated too. Probably a side-effect of said cordage.

But the rider coach in me would like to point out that while following those trucks, he had no place to go should he need to do some avoidance maneuvers.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Thinks he's a trucker now but instead of flinging big chunks of rubber off a sh*tty recap he's flinging little chunks off of what was probably a good tire at one time. The TARDACITY! (there is no hope for mankind, the gene pool is dragging us down)

Beemer

Holy Carp!!! I've always said that if I can't afford a new tire when the old one needs replaced, the bike sits. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.
Years ago at a toy run, I saw a big Harley bagger with a rear tire that looked like that. $1000's in chrome and you can't afford a new tire? Dum-azz!!

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I replace rear tires on both bikes every year. Front usually last 2 rears but I run pilot power 3's and the center wear out. When it gets to the wear bar replace it. Bike tires are cheap.

• Global Moderator
I replace rear tires on both bikes every year. Front usually last 2 rears but I run pilot power 3's and the center wear out. When it gets to the wear bar replace it. Bike tires are cheap.
For you they are.... :P
what combo do you think would yield greater treadwear and grip?
Thinking 12-15k ish for a rear but grip performance of a pilot p3

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I only get 2k in free tires every 5 years. I usually use it all in about 2.5 years. I know the term "only" 2k seems crazy to most people haha

I've gotten about 2k out of my rear so far. Got about 6k out of the pilot power 2ct that were on the z1000. Just put pp3 on it.

Honestly the biggest difference between pilot road and pilot power 3 is the profile is really different and it leans in better and has better front and rear grip on mid corner acceleration. When i first put them on the turn in was so precise and responsive it felt like a new bike. I could push the front pilot roads before in a lean. I know you don't care about wet grip bit I think it's better on pilot power 3 vs the pilot roads I had. The compound technology (typically silica or really expensive sand) that makes a good dry tire also makes a good wet tire. The difference in pp3 vs pr3 is the tread pattern evacuates standing water better. So if its damp road better compound is more important standing water better tread pattern is more important. Same thing applies to cars tires.

When I was breaking the front in on a rainy day I had to do an emergency stop and damn near did a stoppy and the front never broke loose.

When I was breaking in my rear tire and tuning my PCV when I had it a fellow rider says he though it looked like I could break the back tire loose before it would grip and wheelie like crazy. That was on first ride on new tire. Lot more grip now. I can't feel it breaking loose at all.

If I were wanting to get that kind of milage out of a rear tire I'd use pilot road 4s

Yeah, (super)sport front and sport-touring rear is a combo I run more often than not.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Archived