The MT-07 Forum

painting kick plate/side bracket?

chickenchickendinner

chickenchickendinner

has anyone tried painting their right kick plate and side bracket? i'd like to paint my black and not sure if paint, plastic-dip, or bed truck liner  would be better...any ideas or suggestions?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Global Moderator

Is thus what you were meaning??
6bb4da89604b0b1d528e404d4bc62bad.jpg20aee12cb2f3345adf324b1195ad9c96.jpg
i painted mine using rustoleum 2x flat black for the sidecover and gloss enamel automotive paint for the kick plate
the paint lasted all of 3 days on the plates before i was rubbing my boots against bare metal

Im getting them powdercoated next week for greater durability. But the sidecovers seem to be doing just fine

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

booboobusfz07

I've painted mine. Plasti dip worked great for the frame cover. But the heel plates are too high wear for Plasti dip. It discolored and started to peal. So I used some satin rustoleum all surface. Holds up great

If it's the peice I'm think of, I painted mine with krylon satin black. I tried rustolem and didn't dry so, stripped it off and went with the krylon. I'm loving it. Completes the look of my bike. I'm lagging on upload pics, but I know other have done it.

Honda Grom
CB 350

chickenchickendinner
I've painted mine. Plasti dip worked great for the frame cover. But the heel plates are too high wear for Plasti dip. It discolored and started to peal. So I used some satin rustoleum all surface. Holds up great
yeah, thats what I'm talking about...looks great!!!

chickenchickendinner
If it's the peice I'm think of, I painted mine with krylon satin black. I tried rustolem and didn't dry so, stripped it off and went with the krylon. I'm loving it. Completes the look of my bike. I'm lagging on upload pics, but I know other have done it.
hhhmm will look into this. thanks!!

Whatever pain you decide on just start with light coats. Couple tack coats then little more and so on....

What color is your baby?

Honda Grom
CB 350

chickenchickendinner
Whatever pain you decide on just start with light coats. Couple tack coats then little more and so on.... 
What color is your baby?
looking into what you mentioned before. Also, I'm looking to paint other silver parts black like the handle bars or something and possibly the passenger foot pegs.  
here she is...
12015112_10203538850632175_5090457514349803317_o_zpsbalu3nld.jpg

Man, bike sure looks good black. I bought a red one and change the panels to the grey aka: liquid graphite.

Painting the bars? Seems like a PITA, just buy black ones if you want. Think the rental street ultra lows are pretty close to stock. I just painted the side covers and heal plate.

Honda Grom
CB 350

chickenchickendinner
Man, bike sure looks good black. I bought a red one and change the panels to the grey aka: liquid graphite.  
Painting the bars? Seems like a PITA, just buy black ones if you want. Think the rental street ultra lows are pretty close to stock. I just painted the side covers and heal plate.
I think there's too much silver on this bike and i wanna paint as much as i can. Looking to buy new black levers and possibly handle bars down the road (plastic-dip for now, maybe?). New front and rear LED lights are on the way to get rid of the ugly amber ones. 

• Global Moderator

I think there's too much silver on this bike and i wanna paint as much as i can. Looking to buy new black levers and possibly handle bars down the road (plastic-dip for now, maybe?). New front and rear LED lights are on the way to get rid of the ugly amber ones. 

New bars would probably be easier than painting the bars

@wickedtwister makes led turn signals that are integrated into the rear panels

http://fz07.org/thread/2580/custom-led-turn-signals-sale

there are numerous people on the forum that have ordered a set... i believe hes out of town at the moment but not out of the loop.. hes always lurking here on the forum somewhere

chickenchickendinner

damn those turn signals look sick AF. Too bad I just ordered a different set that came with my fender eliminator.

• Premium Member

I plan on painting my kick plates too... just need some time to be able to do it.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member

If you want permanence, in my humble opinion get stuff properly powdercoated and it should last longer than the rest of the bike. I am blacking out most of my silver as well. Can't beat that 'black cancer' look.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

chickenchickendinner
If you want permanence, in my humble opinion get stuff properly powdercoated and it should last longer than the rest of the bike. I am blacking out most of my silver as well. Can't beat that 'black cancer' look.
I 100% agree with you but this is a short term "modd" I'm doing plus for $5 it's worth it..... 

look at what i have created!!!! she's beautiful!!! :o:D :D  more updates soon to come...

IMG_2900_zpsi5fpszsn.jpg

• Premium Member

Looks really nice! I think the next quick mod that would improve the look is removing the tank stickers. It's a very inexpensive mod.

chickenchickendinner
Looks really nice! I think the next quick mod that would improve the look is removing the tank stickers. It's a very inexpensive mod.
Couldn't find my goo gone and didn't want to use a heat gun or drier so i left it. I'll stop at the store tomorrow to get goo gone (thing works like magic lol). I also need to order new black levers to replace the current stock ones. New LED turn signals are coming in this week to replace the front and rear ones. Handle bar and exhaust will be in the near future  ::)

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
Couldn't find my goo gone and didn't want to use a heat gun or drier so i left it. I'll stop at the store tomorrow to get goo gone (thing works like magic lol). I also need to order new black levers to replace the current stock ones. New LED turn signals are coming in this week to replace the front and rear ones. Handle bar and exhaust will be in the near future  ::)
 I used "goo gone" and my thumbnail. A bit of work but worth every second.  I was in the dealership the other day and was looking at the 2016's.... is that the Canadian model?
 Speaking for myself, modding is a very slippery, addictive slope.  Have fun! :)

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Wow! After all the talk about buying gas tank panels in other threads I just assumed no one could or would try to paint things themselves but boy did this thread surprise me! I know it's smaller, less noticeable parts we're talking about here and painting with flat that doesn't show imperfections as well but I still like seeing people paint themselves, I think it's awesome! Nice work peeps!

Beemer

• Global Moderator
Wow! After all the talk about buying gas tank panels in other threads I just assumed no one could or would try to paint things themselves but boy did this thread surprise me! I know it's smaller, less noticeable parts we're talking about here and painting with flat that doesn't show imperfections as well but I still like seeing people paint themselves, I think it's awesome! Nice work peeps!
unless you want a truly custom color or have insane skills with a spray gun buying the tank panels is easier than removing them and paying for them to be professionally painted

As you said.... flats show less imperfections and they match the bikes well enough that a diy project in your garage isnt beyond reason or budget
i think Walmart was selling the paint for about 4 bucks a can for the flat black

• Premium Member

So I bought the Rustoleum not in FLAT black and it's more greyish... So there's that. But I can't complain. Still happy that it's darker than the silver.

SEE PIC HERE

• Premium Member
You missed a spot :P
LOL are you referring to the reflection? It's glossy, remember?!  ;)

Archived