Sign in to follow this  
chickenchickendinner

painting kick plate/side bracket?

chickenchickendinner
has anyone tried painting their right kick plate and side bracket? i'd like to paint my black and not sure if paint, plastic-dip, or bed truck liner  would be better...any ideas or suggestions?

sorkyah
Is thus what you were meaning??
6bb4da89604b0b1d528e404d4bc62bad.jpg20aee12cb2f3345adf324b1195ad9c96.jpg
i painted mine using rustoleum 2x flat black for the sidecover and gloss enamel automotive paint for the kick plate
the paint lasted all of 3 days on the plates before i was rubbing my boots against bare metal

Im getting them powdercoated next week for greater durability. But the sidecovers seem to be doing just fine
  • Like 2

booboobusfz07
I've painted mine. Plasti dip worked great for the frame cover. But the heel plates are too high wear for Plasti dip. It discolored and started to peal. So I used some satin rustoleum all surface. Holds up great

gremlin
If it's the peice I'm think of, I painted mine with krylon satin black. I tried rustolem and didn't dry so, stripped it off and went with the krylon. I'm loving it. Completes the look of my bike. I'm lagging on upload pics, but I know other have done it.

chickenchickendinner
I've painted mine. Plasti dip worked great for the frame cover. But the heel plates are too high wear for Plasti dip. It discolored and started to peal. So I used some satin rustoleum all surface. Holds up great
yeah, thats what I'm talking about...looks great!!!

chickenchickendinner
If it's the peice I'm think of, I painted mine with krylon satin black. I tried rustolem and didn't dry so, stripped it off and went with the krylon. I'm loving it. Completes the look of my bike. I'm lagging on upload pics, but I know other have done it.
hhhmm will look into this. thanks!!

gremlin
Whatever pain you decide on just start with light coats. Couple tack coats then little more and so on....

What color is your baby?

chickenchickendinner
Whatever pain you decide on just start with light coats. Couple tack coats then little more and so on.... 
What color is your baby?
looking into what you mentioned before. Also, I'm looking to paint other silver parts black like the handle bars or something and possibly the passenger foot pegs.  
here she is...
12015112_10203538850632175_5090457514349803317_o_zpsbalu3nld.jpg

gremlin
Man, bike sure looks good black. I bought a red one and change the panels to the grey aka: liquid graphite.

Painting the bars? Seems like a PITA, just buy black ones if you want. Think the rental street ultra lows are pretty close to stock. I just painted the side covers and heal plate.

chickenchickendinner
Man, bike sure looks good black. I bought a red one and change the panels to the grey aka: liquid graphite.  
Painting the bars? Seems like a PITA, just buy black ones if you want. Think the rental street ultra lows are pretty close to stock. I just painted the side covers and heal plate.
I think there's too much silver on this bike and i wanna paint as much as i can. Looking to buy new black levers and possibly handle bars down the road (plastic-dip for now, maybe?). New front and rear LED lights are on the way to get rid of the ugly amber ones. 

gremlin
Totally agree. Love the murdered out look for sure.

sorkyah

I think there's too much silver on this bike and i wanna paint as much as i can. Looking to buy new black levers and possibly handle bars down the road (plastic-dip for now, maybe?). New front and rear LED lights are on the way to get rid of the ugly amber ones. 

New bars would probably be easier than painting the bars

@wickedtwister makes led turn signals that are integrated into the rear panels

http://fz07.org/thread/2580/custom-led-turn-signals-sale

there are numerous people on the forum that have ordered a set... i believe hes out of town at the moment but not out of the loop.. hes always lurking here on the forum somewhere

chickenchickendinner
damn those turn signals look sick AF. Too bad I just ordered a different set that came with my fender eliminator.

motomeek
I plan on painting my kick plates too... just need some time to be able to do it.

Mr.Puss
If you want permanence, in my humble opinion get stuff properly powdercoated and it should last longer than the rest of the bike. I am blacking out most of my silver as well. Can't beat that 'black cancer' look.