The MT-07 Forum

Chain noise

madcore84

Recheck your slack, maybe tighten the chain some more??? I don't know how much play you gave it. It appears it may have too much but I can't say it does for sure without checking the play myself. Chains usually do make some noise though so maybe it's nothing to worry about.

Beemer

Kinda hard to tell from doing this video, but it looks (not sounds) to me your chain is too tight. The book calls for 2-2.2" of slack with the bike on the sidestand. And i can only guess they also mean with the preload collar on the 3rd step as delivered. With the bike upright, the suspension will collapse a bit more than it will with the bike on it's sidestand. As the suspension collapses, the chain will get tighter. If you make the chain too tight just sitting there, it'll get stupid tight every time you hit a dip or accelerate hard.

i now have 2k miles on my chain and have not seen a need to adjust it at all. I have 12K miles on my Aprilia's chain and it's not been touched, except for getting lubed by my oiler, since new.

Mine like many others needed early adjustment two or three times but as not needed adjustment
in the last 7000 miles, chains are never quiet and yours does not seem that bad to me.

Same noise on mine and its within spec. I think its normal...and if you search on here long enough...there are many others who had the same concerns. The bike is so dang quite you tend to hear noises that you normally wouldn't. Keep your chain tension within spec and call it a day! :)

virginiadave

I'm amazed at how noisy the chain is on my bike with 500 miles on it. It was crazy loud for awhile, but it got better when I adjusted the chain. Even with the Akrapovic exhaust, I can still hear the chain noise. It's really noticeable at higher speeds when the revs are down. My 8 year old gixxer with 30k miles on it is way quieter. All you can do is get used to it I guess.

My chain was adjusted at the 600 miles interval,I just checked tension at 2500 miles still good.To be honest I purchased Dupont chain and lube last year and haven't used yet chain looks clean and lubed.My chain does make noise yes but is not super loud like some stated,I guess it all depends where you live and how dirty it will get,but as of now with 2700 miles I haven't cleaned or lubed my chain.I probably do it before riding season is over just to be safe.

OE chains are never the best available. I use a home-made brew of 150W gear oil and white Li grease in a ratio of about 3:1 and that takes most if not all of the jingling from the rollers on this chain. That ratio came about cause it was as thick a goo as could be pushed by the oiler on my other bike. A 1:1 mix will really run quiet and barely fling at all.

If the noise is really bothersome, throw on a DID chain and and forget about it for 15-20k miles.

Chain noise is common, I hate it too. As far as lube goes, lately I have been saving my used oil and soaking my chain in it overnight, then hang it over a bucket on a large piece of cardboard.

Cheap and awesome lube. Then I spray the oil on my wood fence to keep it pretty and treated.

Chain noise is common, I hate it too. As far as lube goes, lately I have been saving my used oil and soaking my chain in it overnight, then hang it over a bucket on a large piece of cardboard. 
Cheap and awesome lube. Then I spray the oil on my wood fence to keep it pretty and treated.

Yeah, great fence paint

I wouldn't be using it on a chain though the addatives when aged go a little acidic
An auto oiler is the bees knees cleans and lubes as you ride

OE chains are never the best available. I use a home-made brew of 150W gear oil and white Li grease in a ratio of about 3:1 and that takes most if not all of the jingling from the rollers on this chain. That ratio came about cause it was as thick a goo as could be pushed by the oiler on my other bike. A 1:1 mix will really run quiet and barely fling at all.  
If the noise is really bothersome, throw on a DID chain and and forget about it for 15-20k miles.
Dupont chain saver is the cleanest, easiest lube that I have found in the 40+ years of riding. BTW a too loose chain is generally less of a concern than a too tight one. 

• Global Moderator

The sound of the chain in OP's video might sound different when he's actually riding the bike. The wheel is off the ground, freely spinning and the chain has a different angle then when riding the bike.

Dupont chain saver is the cleanest, easiest lube that I have found in the 40+ years of riding. BTW a too loose chain is generally less of a concern than a too tight one. 
Absolutely - erring on the loose side is always better than too tight. The bottom run of that chain seems to have very little slack. And that's why I'm thinking it's too tight.   
My chains stay reasonably clean. What little of my concoction that flings off also seems to take dirt with it. I just have to wipe the wheel a bit every now and then.

Chains are sooo much better than when I 1st started riding 45 years ago. I went thru nearly 3 decades of shaft drives to get away from them back in the mid-70s. Now I barely give them thought.   

Yep once the wheels are on the ground and driving it tends to damp out a lot of thrashing about,
I don't notice it on mine at all but do notice the racket that seems to come from the front wheel
and brakes and seems to be amplified by the plastic tank cover but ear plugs cure that, the chain
also tightens up with weight on the bike.

• Premium Member

I don't know about your situation, I'm having trouble with the vid. But, I can say that most tend to: 1) be too aggressive cleaning their chains doing more harm than good, and 2) most tend to run them too tight.

Archived