The MT-07 Forum

Man, that Ducati Scrambler is a small motorcycle.

SkH

Went for a quick Trader Joe's run with the wife, when we got back to our bikes there was a scrambler parked next to mine.  Hard to see in the pic but that thing is TINY!

scram10.jpg

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Global Moderator

just saw one the other day at a dealership... i know what you mean

does you wife have the r3?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Apparently the Scrambler has similar power to the FZ07 but in a smaller package.

Yes, her bike is an R3. Its nice to jump on it every now and then and I can understand why some people who own strong motorcycles still buy themselves a 300cc bike to add to their stable.

• Global Moderator

Just rode one the other day at a yamaha demo
those thinga are swweeeeet
Just need to move the pegs back about 5 in
@6'1 im not very comfortable on it but the little 320 engine is pretty peppy with my 260lbs loading it down

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Its fun to redline the R3. Its not fun (and its also pointless) to redline the FZ07. Very different feeling.

pineappleunderthesea

I test drove a Scrambler before buying the FZ. Peppy little thing, and I almost bought one, but the negatives outweighed the fun factor: the throttle was very, very sensitive, made it tough to modulate correctly. Apparently the flash that comes with the Termi exhaust kinda helps, but that's an expensive fix; the seat was terrible, most people on the forums replace it immediately; I couldn't find neutral but I did find several false neutrals on my 15 minute ride; valve clearance checks every 7000 miles (several hundred dollars each time); there are problems with the fuel pump connector hose, pops off and bleeds fuel all over the bike; the forums are reporting burning through clutches quickly. Finally, it takes weeks and weeks to get parts, dealers are apparently not well stocked. As well, it's air cooled, which isn't a deal breaker, but come on.

It's not Grom small, but yes. I saw one today. It sounded nice, but it was like a mini bonneville or thruxton.

Definitely not for the price. I was thinking of trading my HyperMotard, but after seeing it in person, it doesn't have that "Ducati feel and finish." Even I were to get a Scrambler, it would be a Triumph.

I was lucky enough to test ride the Scrambler. Only new motorcycle I've found in Ohio that allowed a demo ride. It's weird that it's about the same weight, HP and Torque as the FZ07, but feels so much different to ride. The power was there and it was a blast. The tank is lower and flatter, so the whole bike seems low. The seat was okay for me. The most impressive thing was how light it felt. Going down the road at a normal pace, I could flick it side to side like a bicycle. The biggest negative for me is that it's air cooled, which means sitting at a red light for more than a minute produces lots of heat that you will most definitely feel. I also feel it would be worse on the highway than the FZ07. The Scrambler is a fun bike, but I'm still happy to have the FZ07 instead.

I would've put the test ride on my youtube channel, but my GoPro didn't want to work properly that day. :(

Lucius

• Global Moderator

I sat on a couple of them at motorcycle shows. I did not think the fit and finish was up to the standard I would expect on a bike at that price point. I do not think I am hipster enough for one anyway.

Speaking of hipster, so I saw a guy on a scrambler. He was wearing plaid shirt, jeans, tan suede boots, tan suede work gloves, open face helmet, and he had a beard and moustache.

Now, my question is, is this commercial hipster that is looked down upon by real hipsters who ride only vintage beaters or are these guys real, modern/new-generation hipsters who are now into the new and shiny like everyone else?

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless
Speaking of hipster, so I saw a guy on a scrambler. He was wearing plaid shirt, jeans, tan suede boots, tan suede work gloves, open face helmet, and he had a beard and moustache. 
Now, my question is, is this commercial hipster that is looked down upon by real hipsters who ride only vintage beaters or are these guys real, modern/new-generation hipsters who are now into the new and shiny like everyone else?
If you ask a hipster they will say they are not a hipster, but if you ask another person if that person is a hipster they say yes. Hipster is a relational term that to properly be a hipster you cannot admit you are one. We have had many generations of hipsters through out the 20th and 21st centuries. They all seem to be united by a want for individuality or to be authentic (Insert the joke about how I liked X before it's popular). They reach for anything they can to differentiate themselves from one another, A bland colored '80s sweater, An Asymmetric hair style, that trucker hat, liking African neo-soul music, or large ugly glasses. However with everyone trying to be different, no one truly becomes different from one another. They are all united in their desire to be different. The same thing happens with many Harley owners, trying to make your Harley "your own" ends up with a predictable mass of chrome and tassels with ape-hangers on top that blends into all the others at your local bike rally. The commercial hipster vs. real hipster is a false pretense. The only way to escape the fruitless search for individuality is to stop trying to be different and just be you.

[Now on to your regularly scheduled programming]

I think the scrambler looks ok, and was probably right for Ducati to open their brand up to less affluent consumers in much the same way the original Ducati Scrambler did so many years ago. The engine does need frequent valve adjustment, but it is a 90 degree air cooled v2 gem. That being said I would rather see it in a better style of motorcycle. Especially since it is tuned for more HP than Lb-Ft. I would love to own a 900SS or 1000 Sport-classic Paul Smart. Maybe in a few years.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• Global Moderator

I love the looks of the Duc and the Triumph but I doubt I will ever own one. A XSR700 would be on the list though because I do like the old school vibe. No news on availability though.

Talking about hipsters... I think I might be a hipster and I hate them lol. I don't change much in style so I have been a hipster on and off for decades now. I live in the country so pretty much all the hipster gear is what people wear in general en I own a lot of old stuff that works fine which people suddenly consider authentic.

Red1505083582

The only scrambler I've seen ( I hope it's the same bike) that looks awesome and would buy is the one that Chris Pratt used in Jurassic world.

• Premium Member
The only scrambler I've seen ( I hope it's the same bike) that looks awesome and would buy is the one that Chris Pratt used in Jurassic world.
You're thinking of a Triumph

I was lucky enough to test ride the Scrambler. Only new motorcycle I've found in Ohio that allowed a demo ride. It's weird that it's about the same weight, HP and Torque as the FZ07, but feels so much different to ride. The power was there and it was a blast. The tank is lower and flatter, so the whole bike seems low. The seat was okay for me. The most impressive thing was how light it felt. Going down the road at a normal pace, I could flick it side to side like a bicycle. The biggest negative for me is that it's air cooled, which means sitting at a red light for more than a minute produces lots of heat that you will most definitely feel. I also feel it would be worse on the highway than the FZ07. The Scrambler is a fun bike, but I'm still happy to have the FZ07 instead. 
I would've put the test ride on my youtube channel, but my GoPro didn't want to work properly that day. :(

Lucius
I have a Scrambler Classic just like the one pictured in addition to the FZ-07. It's weight, size, HP are similar to the FZ, which actually influenced my decision to order it several months ago to replace my Bonneville. The Bonnie was a good bike but a bit heavy and a bit underpowered. Anyway, I've barely put 300 miles on the Ducati in six weeks of ownership because the suspension is so damn harsh. Less than an hour on it and my back is sore for two days. Very disappointed with the suspension front and rear. I'll probably have to spend some dough to get it more comfy.

Archived