The MT-07 Forum

For those with GoPros

cndnmax

I always use a GoPro when I'm on the bike but the battery only last about 2 hrs. I had the opertunity to review the Mota wireless charger at a reduced cost and it may solve our battery problems!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00YO4NLOK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1444145245&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=wireless+gopro+charger&dpPl=1&dpID=41rHsJj6LoL&ref=plSrch

The Mota wireless charger for GoPro is a very convenient way to keep your camera charged and ready to go. It features a wireless charger that enables you to keep the GoPro in its case, a second battery slot, and a usb charging port for your phone or WiFi remote. The Charger can be purchased for $140 from Amazon or from Mota directly.

Design:
The device is well built and has nice details. The device size is a little bit on the large side and I wouldn't necessarily use the term "portable" to define it. To me it almost feels like a table top docking station that doesn't need to be plugged into an outlet. There are portable battery packs with equal capacity that are 1/4 to 1/2 the size, BUT that's the price you pay for wireless charging.
To enable wireless charging you have to remove the port door on your GoPro and use the included inductor charger that fits nicely into the plastic casing.

Features:
The charger has a set of 4 LEDs that lets you know how much battery power is left and can be recharged with a micro sub cable (included).
The battery pack has a 7500mAh capacity, this should give you about 6 GoPro recharge. The USB port has a max current of 1A; this will work fine for most phones but tablets and some newer phones prefer at least 2A- they will still charge but not at optimal speeds. The battery slot has a max current of 0.6 A, and the wireless inductor has a max current of 0.5 A(same rating as a computer usb). This means that the slowest way to charge your GoPro is actually the wireless charging, it will take twice as long to charge it wirelessly vs using the provided USB port. I would say that the wireless charging is for the "end of day" recharge and that you will need two batteries for continuous recording (this is still fine since they included a second battery charging slot!). Using the wireless charging will also reduce the total available battery pack capacity to 5000mAh, that's a reduction of 2500mAh due to power losses from the inductors. As a bonus, this charger will allow you to use all three charging methods at the same time!

Final thoughts:
The Mota wireless charger is a nifty gadget, Gadget being the key word. It's a little on the bulky side and you will have to give up battery pack capacity and live with a slower recharge time for the convenience of wireless charging. That being said, if your going on a camping trip and need to keep you GoPro and your phone charged up at the same time you can't go wrong with this device. I would also recommend using this as a table top charger/dock and keeping it plugged in until you need to bring it with you. Although the wireless feature is only compatible with the GoPro 3 and 4 you can still use the USB port to charge the older models. Since the GoPro session doesn't have a case the wireless feature is not needed but you can still use the camera slot to hold the session with the frame on while plugging it into the USB port.

I just put an extra battery in my Kriega. I have a third if needed. Even an OEM battery is only $20.

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

I just put an extra battery in my Kriega. I have a third if needed. Even an OEM battery is only $20.

All those extra batteries don't charge themselves. This is just a new spin on portable battery chargers that a lot of us carry around. It's a convenience thing, Kinda like a $140 tailbag vs a $20 backpack ;-)

All those extra batteries don't charge themselves. This is just a new spin on portable battery chargers that a lot of us carry around. It's a convenience thing, Kinda like a $140 tailbag vs a $20 backpack ;-)
Wait, I have a $140 backpack to compliment that tail bag. Dang it!

Yeah, I get it, but I've already committed to the extra batteries. If I were going somewhere with no electricity for a while, I'd consider it, thanks.

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

• Global Moderator
Wait, I have a $140 backpack to compliment that tail bag. Dang it!
Gotta love that ogio mach 5
not to bring it off topic but....
What tail bag are you running?

Is the charger just for off bike and gopro only? Or do you think it could work with a mobius/sena setup as well?
i have the smh10r and the mobius actioncam they seem to last about 6 hours or so on a single charge wouldnt mind extending their range if i can do so on the bike itself

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

@sorkyah i wouldn't recommend it for any other camera since the battery slot is specific. You can buy regular USB battery packs that will be a lot more portable c

Archived