The MT-07 Forum

Oil from weep hole - post if you are having this problem.

mjh937

After 1000 miles from the water pump repair, weep hole has started again leaking some antifreeze and oil..
Warranty for side cover..
Let's see..

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I will share my experience of leaking engine coolant. Please bear with me as this will probably be a long post and I am not the best writer of stories. You can skip towards the end of the post to read what I did to fix my leak.

So I purchased my bike the end of April of last year. After I had put about 600 miles on it I replaced the stock exhaust with a Graves Motorsports exhaust. During the installation of the exhaust I noticed crystallized engine coolant deposits that accumulated along the bottom of the water pump housing right where it mates to the engine case. I could not determine exactly where the coolant was coming from as it did not seem to be leaving a trail from the leaking point to the bottom where the deposits where forming.

OK, new bike, engine coolant leaking, time to take it to the dealer and show them so they can fix it under warranty. I take it in and show the service dept. writer the problem along with the low coolant level in the bottle. I already got a bad vibe when he stated they will schedule to bring it in and see if it is warranty related. (? Hmmmm)

I drop it off about a week and a half later for them to look at it and fix it. Two days later on my way home from work I get a phone call from the service dept. writer telling me that my bike is ready and that I owe $ for them to look at it, stating that there was nothing wrong. I said "What do you mean there is nothing wrong? What about the crystallized coolant deposits and low coolant level?" I was told that the tech looked at it and said nothing was wrong. I was also told that the deposits was probably corrosion from taking it to the shore or something.

OK. So I am the wrong person to tell a bunch of BS to when it comes to things like this, as I have worked in the auto industry for over 20 years now and have seen what leaks look like what and what they are from. I know what dried engine coolant deposits look like from leaking hoses. And I also know that Aluminum does not corrode to a bluish green color and leave deposits that wipe right off with no trace of discoloration of the finish on our engines. Also I was nowhere near any salt water, salt air, or any other corrosive environments.

All they did was wipe the deposits away, run the bike up to operating temp until the cooling fan kicked on twice, and then let it sit overnight with cardboard underneath of it. Let us just say that they could tell I was more than displeased with their "service" when I picked it up. I didn't swear them out or use any harsh language, I just have a look to me and disposition that most people can tell when I am pissed off. The other service writer did talk to me about the problem as he could tell that I was upset, but it ultimately came down to there was nothing he could do at that time because he wasn't the one who I initially dealt with. I have not darkened their doorstep since.

OK, so I decided that I have to try to fix this leak myself. I could not see the coolant leaking from the weep hole, so I figured that it may be seeping past the seal/gasket where the coolant pump housing mates to the case. I thought about just replacing the seal itself (it's an o-ring), but then thought of the possibility of the housing where the o-ring sits being machined out of tolerance and not being able to be sealed tight. I wound up buying a new housing, new housing to case o-ring, coolant pipe o-rings, a small tube of Permatex gasket sealant for use with engine coolant, and some Maxima engine coolant. I ordered the factory parts online from a different Yamaha dealer.

I drained the factory coolant out and disassembled everything that I needed to to remove the water pump housing from the case. I noticed that the o-ring sits in a groove machined in the housing and that there is hardly any of the o-ring that protrudes beyond the grooved area. That is where I used the Permatex gasket sealant. I did not gloop it on. I used it very sparingly, just to hold and seal the o-ring in the groove of the housing and very little on the opposite side of the o-ring where it seals against the engine case. I reassembled everything and torquing all the fasteners to factory specs. I let the bike sit for 24 hours for the Permatex to fully cure before I filled and bled the cooling system with the new Maxima engine coolant.

I have not had any trace of engine coolant leaking since then and the level in the bottle is still the same as when I filled it. What does that mean? I have no idea other than that is what has seemed to fix my coolant leak. I have not had any traces of engine oil leaking anywhere so I am good there so far.

I'm not sure if this will help anyone with their leak or not. YMMV. I just wanted to share my experience.

After putting on a show to the entire service crew at my Subaru dealer to demonstrate that I could produce a loud click out of one of the axles just by pushing backward against a chunk of 4x4" lumber placed behind the back wheels, the district service manager looked me square in the eyes and suggested that maybe they all do this and it was normal.

Stood there and stared at the guy for about 30 secs (as techs in the shop quietly backed away) and all I could muster after that silence was "so if you can't fix it, it's not broken? SERIOUSLY?" That district service rep then proceeded to scratch my brand new alloy wheel with a screwdriver while trying to remove the center cap - he should have taken off the wheel and tapped it out from the inside. In hands, they are all scratched. .

Sounds like yer on to something. The fuel pump plate to my Aprilia is sealed to the tank bottom with a big fat o-ring that sits in a groove in the plate - just like what you've described. At the factory, they were all assembled dry. The service manual, however, calls for using an anaerobic sealant as they were prone to leaking.

• Global Moderator

replacing the clutch cover, waterpump cover and all the related gaskets seemed to work
No more oil or coolant leaking

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

My bike is currently at the dealer getting this issue fixed.

They seemed completely unsurprised when I mentioned the coolant leak. Didn't even have to tell them where it was, they knew immediately. Sounds like they've had plenty of FZ-07s with the same issue. It will be fixed under warranty. I'm hoping that they'll be able to do a decent job considering they already have plenty of experience fixing this particular problem.

Fingers crossed.

bmwpowere36m3
replacing the clutch cover, waterpump cover and all the related gaskets seemed to work No more oil or coolant leaking
How long ago (or miles since repair)? If I recall, you had it repair a couple times already, correct?

• Global Moderator
replacing the clutch cover, waterpump cover and all the related gaskets seemed to work No more oil or coolant leaking
How long ago (or miles since repair)? If I recall, you had it repair a couple times already, correct?

Yeah... 300 since repair and no issues yet... except the crash...but its not leaking oil after that either

Just checked my bike. it is leaking in the same exact spot. My warranty is up at the end of the month so I'm going to bring it in tomorrow. Hopefully its under warranty

• Global Moderator
Just checked my bike. it is leaking in the same exact spot. My warranty is up at the end of the month so I'm going to bring it in tomorrow. Hopefully its under warranty
It should still be covered under warranty
unless the repair was done more than 3mo ago

It should still be covered under warranty unless the repair was done more than 3mo ago
I have never had my bike in for any type of warranty work. Found out it was leaking oil an i have an exhaust leak in the same day... What a good day so far lol.

• Global Moderator
It should still be covered under warranty unless the repair was done more than 3mo ago
I have never had my bike in for any type of warranty work. Found out it was leaking oil an i have an exhaust leak in the same day... What a good day so far lol.
Take the bike in for the oil leak.
have you installed an aftermarket exh?

Take the bike in for the oil leak. have you installed an aftermarket exh?
Yes i have an M4 slip on. Just going to have to reseal it. Calling dealership now about problem to see if i can drop it off.

graphitegraves

Took my bike to the dealer for this issue, they said no problem,they ordered the parts but beware they are on back order due to everyone taking their bikes in for this issue lol. Someone around may 5th I should hear back from the dealer about parts

Took my bike to the dealer for this issue, they said no problem,they ordered the parts but beware they are on back order due to everyone taking their bikes in for this issue lol. Someone around may 5th I should hear back from the dealer about parts
I took mine in last Saturday they got it done by Tuesday, was very fast.

graphitegraves

Nice, I took mine in earlier this month, so it's possible that they had some on order already and where I'm at we only have the one yamaha dealership on the Peninsula so I jess I could have taken to a different dealer many many miles away lol

I doubt that I have the same issue as you guys ? But I will check. This weekend I saw oil on the ground by my bike on the left center. It looks as though it is dripping out of 2 hoses that are angled down with tapered ends (sorry no pics) is this normal? The hoses also have oil or wetness on the tips. Thx

• Global Moderator
I doubt that I have the same issue as you guys ? But I will check. This weekend I saw oil on the ground by my bike on the left center. It looks as though it is dripping out of 2 hoses that are angled down with tapered ends (sorry no pics) is this normal? The hoses also have oil or wetness on the tips. Thx
Those are breather hoses for your fuel tank
oil leaks will be coming off the right side of the motor

I had that same thing last weekend .. My initial thought was oil, until I saw where it came from.   It did not smell strong as gas, but was not oily enough to be oil.  My tank was only half full (optimist), so it's not like I overfilled it, but it was in the sun, so I'm thinking some condensation built up, so it may have been diluted gas.  I popped the fuel cap and heard no pressure.   Used to get vapor lock on my Triumph.  The fuel cap did not breathe properly.  Like the other poster said, oil would most likely come out the other side.  I have that weep hole oil leak too, but it's never enough to pool on the ground.  Will get that fixed soon if I can find the time.

.....This weekend I saw oil on the ground by my bike on the left center. It looks as though it is dripping out of 2 hoses that are angled down with tapered ends (sorry no pics) is this normal? The hoses also have oil or wetness on the tips. Thx

• 2 months later...
Guest ChicagoAJ
F5621376-1BB0-4755-BB11-30E3A71420E3_zpspfbcoskx.jpg

Checked my bike this morning after seeing posts about this yesterday in the what did you to your bike today thread. Mine doesn't look this bad, but maybe after another couple thousand miles it would. Definitely the same symptoms, looks like oil from the weep hole. Definitely not coolant because it doesn't dry out.  
Oil level has always been fine and coolant level seems fine too. I haven't had it running for a while so the coolant level is low in the overflow tank. Never had any drips under my bike anywhere either and I always park in the same spot. Seems like this might just be a tiny leak that won't get worse (especially if that one post where someone had 12k on their bike and it's always been like this).

Either way, I have a service scheduled on July 15th with the same place that did my 600 mile service. Really hope they don't try to blame this on the ECU flash (because that's obviously not the issue if my ECU isn't back yet and the leak is there). I'm hoping I don't get the, "oh this is normal, bring it back when it's actually accumulating on the ground," explanation... We'll see.   

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ChicagoAJ

Update: I brought my bike in last Friday on the 15th. The shop added some dye to the oil and took it on a quick 10 minute ride, they confirmed it was leaking oil. Yamaha approved the warranty claim but is being slow generating a claim number so the shop can't start repairs until they send one over.

I spoke with the shop today and they're trying to move the process along but it seems the folks at Yamaha are really dragging. Meanwhile, we've had the best weather all summer so far and my bike gets to see none of it. Hopefully they get it back together and running soon - I'd like to put a lot of miles on it to make sure they actually fix the problem and before the warranty runs out.

• Global Moderator
Update: I brought my bike in last Friday on the 15th. The shop added some dye to the oil and took it on a quick 10 minute ride, they confirmed it was leaking oil. Yamaha approved the warranty claim but is being slow generating a claim number so the shop can't start repairs until they send one over.  
I spoke with the shop today and they're trying to move the process along but it seems the folks at Yamaha are really dragging. Meanwhile, we've had the best weather all summer so far and my bike gets to see none of it. Hopefully they get it back together and running soon - I'd like to put a lot of miles on it to make sure they actually fix the problem and before the warranty runs out.
Most shops(out here in Phx) that ive encountered usually havs a parts and labor warranty of 3months or something like that but if the issue wasnt fixed then it would still be up to yamaha to fix the issue.
i would check with the shop you're using just in case though

Guest ChicagoAJ

It's a Yamaha dealer, so hopefully they'll make sure it's fixed. I know I'll be checking every time I get off the bike to make sure there's no little drips forming.

• Global Moderator
It's a Yamaha dealer, so hopefully they'll make sure it's fixed. I know I'll be checking every time I get off the bike to make sure there's no little drips forming.
Doesnt matter if theres drips or not
cleab it off with some non chlor brake cleaner
if theres any oil residue, take it back

Guest ChicagoAJ
Doesnt matter if theres drips or not cleab it off with some non chlor brake cleaner
if theres any oil residue, take it back
That's the plan! Like I said, it never dripped to begin with. It was just collecting by the water pump housing then it would burn off, I could smell it at every light I stopped at for more than 30 seconds. So by drips, I meant that collection of residue re-appearing, I'll definitely be taking it back if anything shows up again. 

Archived