The MT-07 Forum

Oil from weep hole - post if you are having this problem.

mjh937

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My understanding from what I've read on this asembly is that the water pump seals in these things are a bit fussy. There's a ceramic disk that should never be touched by greasy fingers and the impeller shaft can be easily damaged (even bent) if the old seal is pried out with some force - Apparently, it's best to drill a small hole in the seal and then use a dent puller to pull out the old seal.

So, assuming there's not an issue with the seals to begin with (like our lower fork bushings that are the wrong size), it's a repair job that apparently can go wrong easily if not done properly.

You would think that given the millions of pumps like
these that have been made in the last few years they could get it right
but it seems not, drill 2 small holes 180 apart screw in 2 self tapping
screws just enough to get a hold then you should by getting hold of the screw pull
the seal out, to replace the new seal lube the seal and end of shaft then
put a small thin plastic bag over the end of the shaft push the seal back in place
with something that just fits inside the bore, the plastic bag lets the seal
go over the shaft without damage once the seal is on the end of the shaft pull
the bag out of the centre of the seal.

It's also a bit hard to tell from the service manual, but it also appears that the seal is not completely pushed in until it stops. There should be 1mm of space under it. That might not be so easy to do.

There were some early water pump seal failures on the Rotox that's in my Aprilia. Mine's never leaked, but there were quite a few back in 2003 or so. And because the dealer network back then was quite weak (not that it's great now) guys tried and failed to do this repair on their own. Ultimately, one guy with superb skills and tools built a jig specifically to press these seals in place and then started doing this as a mail-in service. And pretty cheap too.

Even though I routinely wrap fork tube ends with electric tape before sliding a seal on, I might not have thought to do similar with that small shaft - Good point Ralph. And i'll bet the dealers can't be bothered with details as such.

It's a long time back but I used to do work for some local dealers and hated getting
stuff back so that's why I bothered but I tended to to get stuff other's had failed
to fix so could not go wrong really, if I fixed it I was a genius and if not, well no one else could.

I mailed in the survey that Yamaha had sent me about the service and if I got my bike fixed...

needless to say the dealer called me and the head mechanic now wants to fix it himself after new years lol

• Global Moderator
I mailed in the survey that Yamaha had sent me about the service and if I got my bike fixed... 
needless to say the dealer called me and the head mechanic now wants to fix it himself after new years lol
I should probably do this.... freakin service advisors confuse shit when they try to translate
at work and at moto dealership... service advisors suck ass

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

That's one way to get their undivided attention. Clearly, with it leaking again n 250 miles, they either messed up the new seal or didn't fix the orignal problem. Think I'd ask if they check the impeller shaft for runout?  

That's one way to get their undivided attention. Clearly, with it leaking again n 250 miles, they either messed up the new seal or didn't fix the orignal problem. Think I'd ask if they check the impeller shaft for runout?  
Yeah will have to see when I go back in a week or so. 
The guy that is the service manager over there seems to be pretty serious about getting it fixed the right way this time around.

I asked him if any other FZs had this issue that he has seen and he said that mine was the only one so far with this problem in our area...

I'm just hoping that this time around that they will be able to fix it.

I have since added some Yamacool to the coolant reservoir because it had been below the low mark after they fixed it the fluid must have leaked out of the same spot again...

I put it back up to full and after just two rides of about 30 minutes total it already was lowered down to the middle portion of the container again, disappointing for sure.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

This is an older thread, but I'm having this issue. Small amount of oil/coolant right by the hook that holds the O2 sensor wire, under the water pump. I first noticed it when I was only at about 1000 miles, and I'm up to 12000 now.

It doesn't accumulate enough to drip, but it does accumulate and then burn off, so after awhile I get a buildup of what looks like dirt and carbon, but when I rub it with my finger, I can see some kind of dark liquid underneath.

I don't know what to do. I can take it into dealer but I just have a feeling that they won't be able to fix it (based on the stories in this thread) and they may just end up making things worse. And I've been able to go 12,000 miles without it being much of an issue. But now my warranty is up in mid-June.

Any thoughts? Should I take it in?

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
Hi guys, 
This is an older thread, but I'm having this issue. Small amount of oil/coolant right by the hook that holds the O2 sensor wire, under the water pump. I first noticed it when I was only at about 1000 miles, and I'm up to 12000 now.

It doesn't accumulate enough to drip, but it does accumulate and then burn off, so after awhile I get a buildup of what looks like dirt and carbon, but when I rub it with my finger, I can see some kind of dark liquid underneath.

I don't know what to do. I can take it into dealer but I just have a feeling that they won't be able to fix it (based on the stories in this thread) and they may just end up making things worse. And I've been able to go 12,000 miles without it being much of an issue. But now my warranty is up in mid-June.

Any thoughts? Should I take it in?
Take it in ASAP....asking never hurt anybody.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

• Global Moderator

Im still fighting this battle with my dealer/service

4 repairs later
Ths cover is still leaking oil exactly where you specified @tylerjanebr
havent seen coolant like some of the others bere

They're saying its a case/cover porosity isssue
and its now being put through yamaha for defective parts
im ready to just tell them to give me a new engine to stop the leaks

• Global Moderator
Interesting. Porous case? I didn't think it was cast. Looks more like some kind of stamped steel.
Its cast alum according to the tech...
i havent tested it yet

• Premium Member

Solution = mill/cnc the whole motor from forged bar stock aluminum that can be done

I do believe it's "powder" cast aluminum

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

bmwpowere36m3

I doubt its porosity... leaking water pumps are nothing new on motorcycles. Some brands/models are worse/problematic than others. I'm just surprised in this day/age they haven't refined the design yet.

• Global Moderator
I doubt its porosity... leaking water pumps are nothing new on motorcycles. Some brands/models are worse/problematic than others. I'm just surprised in this day/age they haven't refined the design yet.
the water-pump i can see leaking... seals are designed to wear out.  but why is the water-pump leaking oil?

bmwpowere36m3
the water-pump i can see leaking... seals are designed to wear out.  but why is the water-pump leaking oil?

There are two seals on the water pump impeller/shaft, one's an oil seal and the other is a ceramic disk (seals coolant).

There's a space between the seals and near the bottom of that space is a hole (weep hole). When oil and/or coolant drips, then you know a seal has failed.

Since the bike is new, it's hard to say what the issue is... but it doesn't appear to be isolated based on this thread. I'm guessing it's a part or design problem of either: the impeller shaft, oil seal or bearing. Then again, it could be an assembly issue, such as sharp edge on impeller shaft that damages the oil seal upon assembly.

So I did my oil change today (~4500 miles) and while I was down there noticed I had the same coolant and maybe oil seepage going on. Unfortunately this winter the bike went down very low speed (under 5mph) on a patch of ice and put a small scratch on the water pump cover/housing. Should I be worried about the dealer not covering it under warranty and charging me a ton? Or with so many people having this issue should they cover it? The impact was very minor, and the leak isn't even from where it was hit, I'd be surprised if it was forceful enough to cause any internal damage.

bmwpowere36m3
So I did my oil change today (~4500 miles) and while I was down there noticed I had the same coolant and maybe oil seepage going on. Unfortunately this winter the bike went down very low speed (under 5mph) on a patch of ice and put a small scratch on the water pump cover/housing. Should I be worried about the dealer not covering it under warranty and charging me a ton? Or with so many people having this issue should they cover it? The impact was very minor, and the leak isn't even from where it was hit, I'd be surprised if it was forceful enough to cause any internal damage.

Depends, as they'll see the damaged cover... but they should warranty it since the issue is unrelated. Unless of course the damage to the water housing is significant. Only one way to find out...

Took it to the dealer and was told that while they hadn't seen something like this before that it would be covered under warranty. Have to wait till next Friday to drop it off though since its spring and they're swamped. Itching to get my SC Project exhaust and EJK installed but figure doing more modding before dropping the bike off for a warranty repair wouldn't help my case at all.

• Global Moderator
There are two seals on the water pump impeller/shaft, one's an oil seal and the other is a ceramic disk (seals coolant).

There's a space between the seals and near the bottom of that space is a hole (weep hole). When oil and/or coolant drips, then you know a seal has failed.

Since the bike is new, it's hard to say what the issue is... but it doesn't appear to be isolated based on this thread. I'm guessing it's a part or design problem of either: the impeller shaft, oil seal or bearing. Then again, it could be an assembly issue, such as sharp edge on impeller shaft that damages the oil seal upon assembly.
that damn oil seal is the issue
they ripped it putting it back together now ive got a 3-4 day wait til i get my bike back
if it leaks one more time
im just gonna tell em to replace the engine and let them figure out how to warranty it

Took it to the dealer and was told that while they hadn't seen something like this before that it would be covered under warranty. Have to wait till next Friday to drop it off though since its spring and they're swamped. Itching to get my SC Project exhaust and EJK installed but figure doing more modding before dropping the bike off for a warranty repair wouldn't help my case at all.
When i dropped mine off this morning at the dealer, there was a 2016 model brought off theshow floor for the same issue
im guessing yamaha will be issuing a tsb sometime soon for this

Hopefully, when I stopped in I asked them if they could search for any bulletins and they don't currently have anything. The one guy told me that it was normal to see a small bit of coolant seepage from the weep hole on new showroom models before they get broken in but it shouldn't be happening under normal riding conditions. Still doesn't sound like thats something that should be happening, but I work in the Mazda world and we do have some bulletins stating that slights bits of coolant from the weep hole on certain models is considered normal. Not a bike I know but I guess its possible that just coolant could be normal. I'm pretty sure mine has some oil mixed in too though.

Archived