The MT-07 Forum

Oil from weep hole - post if you are having this problem.

mjh937

I would be pissed if that had happened to me... 
At least it is a bit cooler in most places making it not as easy to go out and ride.
Unfortunately I'm not in one of those places 
Perfect riding weather. And they still cant get me an ETA. Just called again and was told they have the bike slated for work tomorrow.
Well hopefully you can get it back tomorrow and start riding again! 

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally got my bike back from warranty today...

It took them two weeks to fix the issue because of parts being out of stock.

They did have a large laundry list of parts they replaced though.

I got a free oil change too since that goes with the weep hole leaking oil as well they had to drain both fluids lol.

• Global Moderator

I got a free oil change too since that goes with the weep hole leaking oil as well they had to drain both fluids lol.
Get mine back tomorrow Guaranteed...
Service manager is even comping my next service because they screwed up so many times

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Get mine back tomorrow Guaranteed...
Service manager is even comping my next service because they screwed up so many times

At least they're making it right and not just letting it go and have you wait for nothing.

I wonder if these parts are a revision to the old to prevent this from happening again?

• Global Moderator
6782c955eb68741e121bfe0520de2f93.jpg

Took 21 days but finally got it back...
my fizzy is mine again
there are apparantly 2 gaskets with rhe same part number.... this is why it took so long
felt wierd riding it home today

6782c955eb68741e121bfe0520de2f93.jpg 
Took 21 days but finally got it back...
my fizzy is mine again
there are apparantly 2 gaskets with rhe same part number.... this is why it took so long
felt wierd riding it home today

Mine looks exactly the same.

How did it feel weird? Just because of how long it took to ride it again?

Two gaskets with the same part number.
With a different price, too.
That's a new one on me.

Four quarts of coolant, too.
The bike takes just under two.

by the time that dealer's done billing Yamaha for that one bottle of coolant, it'll be nearly a hundred bucks. lol.

and how did they come up with 2 different prices for the same part number - goofy.

wonder if 2 different or 2 of the same gaskets are necessary?

doesn't bode well that so many of these are leaking at such a young age.

Hi all,

I posted about this a loooong time ago. Happened to me. Got it fixed under warranty. Well, guess what. 6 months after the warranty repair it happened again.... :( This may be a recurring problem for us.

Hi all, 
I posted about this a loooong time ago. Happened to me. Got it fixed under warranty. Well, guess what. 6 months after the warranty repair it happened again.... :( This may be a recurring problem for us.
This isn't that great of news... 
My warranty will be done in April of next year :(

• Global Moderator

Get an aftermarket warranty?
Mine came with the bike for an extra grand

Well, so much for reliability. Something is definitely wrong.

Not sure what good any warranty, extended or otherwise, will be if there's a design or parts q/c problem (or both ) and the leaks just keep coming back.

Judging by the number of dealers who have messed up the seat mounting bolts (mine turned my battery wire into a pretzel) not sure I'd be all that willing to let any of them work on my oil/water pump. .

If it keeps happening even after the warranty period is over after it has been replaced in the past, and everyone else is having an issue with their bike as well, Yamaha should fix it no charge regardless until they come up with a fix.

bmwpowere36m3

Mine has some dried coolant streaks… didn't see it till about a month ago (2800 miles). There's no change in coolant level and no drips or wet spots on the garage floor. I'm going to leave it alone for now and continue to monitor. If it continues to leak, or leak considerably I'll dissemble and see if its similar issue to the DRZ-400 (coolant getting around WP shaft/ceramic disk).

Mine has some dried coolant streaks… didn't see it till about a month ago (2800 miles). There's no change in coolant level and no drips or wet spots on the garage floor. I'm going to leave it alone for now and continue to monitor. If it continues to leak, or leak considerably I'll dissemble and see if its similar issue to the DRZ-400 (coolant getting around WP shaft/ceramic disk).
just read thru that. I'm thinking it was a mistake to use an organic like WD40 on a rubber seal used in the cooling system. If it's EPDM, it will be damaged. Better to use silicone spray or maybe even just a spray of water/coolant. 
Also, I think an anaerobic sealant like Loctite 518 would be a better choice. 

Just had a look at our service manual. The seals will have to be pressed into place perfectly square. Think I would find a shop that not only has the tools, but some experience dealing with a job like this. . A high performance car shop might just be a better choice than yer average bike dealer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Less than one month after having them "fix" the issue, I'm leaking from the WH again...

Not much right now, but I noticed it had accumulated enough to make almost a drip.

I have only put 250 miles on it since the repair and it is again leaking from the same area.

How disappointing...

• Global Moderator
Less than one month after having them "fix" the issue, I'm leaking from the WH again... 
Not much right now, but I noticed it had accumulated enough to make almost a drip.

I have only put 250 miles on it since the repair and it is again leaking from the same area.

How disappointing...
Havent checked mine yet... but ive put almost 1k on it since the repair so ill check it in the morning

• Premium Member

How many of you laid the bike down and banged up the water pump cover?? Could have a busted bearing that's actually doing the leaking...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Global Moderator

Ive dropped it once, in the very beginning(~400 miles) but it was the kickstand side of the bike that took the brunt and it fell into soft dirt

I dropped mine on the water pump side but it landed on my bar end, lever, and frame slider that's it.

Dealer also didn't tell me about any damage that they found.

I'm sure if they found something they wouldn't want to warranty it.

Coolant out the weep hole means a bad seal. Yamaha will replace just the seal and it WILL NOT last long. Have owned a couple of 1st Gen Vmax's and have been to that "movie". They replace the seal twice on my 2006 and guess what? It started leaking within a 1000 miles. They wouldn't replace it a third time or replace the water pump. Gave up, went home, order a new water pump online, & an hour or so of work it was done. No leaks for thousands of miles.

I'll spend $200 and an hour or two to do it myself opposed to being without a bike for a week or more and having someone that I don't know "try" and fix my bike.

How many of you laid the bike down and banged up the water pump cover?? Could have a busted bearing that's actually doing the leaking...
The seals and the one bearing for the impeller are actually in the clutch cover. The outer pump cover would have to get pretty much fubar and that would noticeable ding the impeller 1st. But that might also bend the shaft a bit and that would certainly cause it to leak.  
This sounds like it's gonna be a run of bad seals or maybe imperfectly machined impeller shafts.  

• Global Moderator

Mine has started to leak oil again from the clutch cover... and possibly the trans output shaft seal as well. I'll find out for sure on tuesday

Archived