The MT-07 Forum

Oil from weep hole - post if you are having this problem.

mjh937

Hello to you all..
I am a new member of the forum owning a MT 07 (or FZ) race blue..
Few days ago i noticed a small amount of oil at the weep hole, at the right crankcase..
The hole is next to the water pump..
My mechanic said to me that it is normal for a few drops of coolant and oil to come out of there, every now and then..
Have you noticed anything similar?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

Ive noticed something similar but above the right crankcase, where one bolt hold it in, as if the gasket has been penetrated and a small very small amount of oil builds up

Have you asked your dealer about that, although it is a different situation than mine?
Mine said that it is ok but i have second thoughts..
Now i want to see if others have experienced oil coming out from the weep hole..

I just checked mine and this is what I found 20151005_091926_zpsto9qp9sm.jpg20151005_091936_zpswrb34fn5.jpg20151005_092012_zpsj5fkl5ft.jpgif you look at the last picture the oil like substance is build up on the right clamp for the o2 sensor and oil pressure wire,is that the same spot on your bike? not sure where is coming from.

bmwpowere36m3

No it's not normal for oil or coolant go be coming from the weep hole.... if it's the WP then it could be the seal starting to go.

However I'd verify that it's actually coolant and/or oil.

bmwpowere36m3
I just checked mine and this is what I found 20151005_091926_zpsto9qp9sm.jpg20151005_091936_zpswrb34fn5.jpg20151005_092012_zpsj5fkl5ft.jpgif you look at the last picture the oil like substance is build up on the right clamp for the o2 sensor and oil pressure wire,is that the same spot on your bike? not sure where is coming from.

Honestly don't see any oil.... except for a bit of wetness from the crankcase gasket.

Yes that is the place where i first saw the oil spot (including the lower right side of the crankase)..
Mine was just oil..
After cleaning the place i confirmed it came from the weep hole..
A think some others may have this issue but because it is difficult spot to see, they haven't notice it yet..

• Global Moderator

Dealership noted a similar leak in my last visit... waterpump weep hole is leaking a bit of both coolant and oil
4hours of labor for repair... 280 in parts.... luckily the warranty is covering it

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

fooschnickens
Dealership noted a similar leak in my last visit... waterpump weep hole is leaking a bit of both coolant and oil 4hours of labor for repair... 280 in parts.... luckily the warranty is covering it
I dropped mine off for exactly the same thing today. My bike sat all last week in the garage and it seeped out enough to leave a couple drops on the garage floor. I noticed the buildup completely by chance after looking the bike over after a weird tapping noise came from the motor momentarily. We'll see what the dealer comes up with as the solution, either way they said it would most likely be covered under the warranty since it's not supposed to leak much of anything within 2000 miles of riding. 

So the conclusion is that it is not normal..
It is weird that the mechanic said me that this leak suppose to happen..
Sorkyah do you remember what they changed to the bike?
Oil pump, water pump, gasket??

• Global Moderator

Havent done anything yet
take it in on thurs

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Now that really sucks for me >:D ,this is the first time that I purchased a new bike and didn't get extended warranty like I usually do with other bikes.With 2700 miles on the odo did not expect this to happen,would not have noticed since all my bikes stand on cardboard and I always check it for drops of any kind but never noticed any leaks.It's definitely oil but not enough to drip down to the floor.I am going to call the dealer today and go from there,maybe call yamaha directly to find out if more people are having same issue.Meanwhile if any other member is having same problem please list your results this could lead to some recall I hope,really don't feel like paying out of pocket expanses for a practically new bike with some sort of defect.To the moderator can you change maybe the title so other members can sort notice this thread better,so we find out if this is a bigger problem then the battery cable recall yamaha had in the beginning.
Thank You 
Stefano

Can somebody post a picture of this weep hole that you mention,I have not a clue what it is  :| .On second note i called the dealer and asked if anybody had same issue and he said no,told me to keep an eye on it and if it starts to drip to bring the bike in,also mention  that even BMW bikes have similar issues leaking oil and coolant and not to be too concerned.For now I just wiped the oil residue off the wires and tried to wipe the crankcase bottom where the spot is but that did not come off.Going to take the bike out for a short ride and check when I come back.

Yeah many bmw 800 gs had this problem, also some aprilia mana..
At first some of them changed water or oil pump or some gaskets, even in some cases the whole crankase..
But many of them kept leaking, so the manufacturers announched that is normal..
Probably to save some money..
The place is where the cover of the water pump meets the crankcase..

No, those seals should not leak or weep. I've seen similar picts from weeping Rotax V60 twins - mine's been completely dry for 13 years.

Worse yet, if Yamaha is building this anything like the Rotax (dunno where the 800GS motor is assembled, but it's likely Rotax designed as the Funduros were all Rotax twins) it's not a repair that can be done w/o special tools and some expertise. Wouldn't surprise me that even with the factory tools, if dealers have damaged new seals and that's why they continue to weep after the repair. .

Will have to check mine. It sounds like this is happening to too many bikes for it not to be covered outside of the 1 year warranty. Wonder if overfilling the crankcase shares any blame - mine was well overfilled from the factory.

fooschnickens

Luckily (or unluckily?) it happened within the first 6 months/2000 miles of owning it. Even then I got the extended warranty on it so i'm well covered. $800 to extend it to three years was silly not to go for.

Had a look at mine this evening and, thankfully, it's dry. 

Seems to be a common design these days having the water pump driven off of the oil pump shaft. In case of a leak, they build in an escape hole so that fluid from one can't push on the other. Oil might actually damage the water pump's seals similar to how petroleum products can harm the EPDM rubber found in brake pumps and cylinders. 

Red1505083582

Oil might actually damage the water pump's seals similar to how petroleum products can harm the EPDM rubber found in brake pumps and cylinders. 

This may very well be the case for me. If I think in time of occurrence, I saw oil coming from that area after my first service. (Seems like they put too much oil). 2000 miles or so after I've done oil change maintenance myself (no more problems), but now I see something green liquid oozing from that area same spot.

• Premium Member

Sure, many dealers are going to tell ya ANYTHING is normal if they don't have to bother with it!

fooschnickens

Update from the dealer, they replaced the seal under warranty but their parts delivery was delayed because of the logistics SNAFU up in SC from all the storms so it didn't get completed until last night. They had a few techs stay after hours to work on their bike backlog so they called to tell me I could pick it up first thing Monday. Perfect timing, too since they're not calling for rain all this coming week :D

fooschnickens

Just picked mine up from the dealer, no cost and replaced under warranty. The total that it would have come out to was $126.60 with parts and labor for those of you out of your warranty period.

The part [HASH]s that were replaced were:

1WS-12439-00-00
93210-235A1-00

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

Mine has residue at that "weep hole" from previous coolant leakage, it's all dry now and I do not see any evidence of oil leakage yet.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

Archived