The MT-07 Forum

2015 asphalt vs 2016 model Raven?

paalsugoon

Hi there... love this forum.. new to it.. 

i'm very close to driving off the lot.... i am torn between 2015 asphalt grey or a 2016 Raven... I'd save 400$ on the 2015 but I don't know if that 2015 year has baggage associated... i.e. sitting in elements, resale... but i really like the 2015 color over the 2016..

any input would be appreciated in my decision making.

Does color matter in the big picture ....no... but that 400$ savings makes it almost worth me getting a year old model.

It's exactly the same, except for the color. I love the 2016 blurple/silver combo. I have a red FZ. Get what you like the most. That 1 year old vs new is pretty much irrelevant.

Are you talking new? Used? If you like the color of the 2015 better, I can't think of any good reason to buy a more expensive newer model, unless the 2015 you're looking at has been beaten and battered and ridden into the ground.

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

Hi zomb... They're both new .. It's hard to justify the extra 400 but again I would always buy the item with the least shelf life if it wasn't for the savings.. By id like to hear which one readers prefer if given the choice 

They're the identical bike in different colors. They didn't add any new features to the 2016 model. A bike that sat for a year at a dealership isn't going to have any problems at all. Pick the color you like better.

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome paalsugoon! Keep in mind the blurple wheels are the slowest color. Maybe you're talking about the graphite grey not available in the US. In that case get the grey one.

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Keep in mind the blurple wheels are the slowest color." I strongly believe this statement contains no verifiable data.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Global Moderator

We have a highly scientific and peer review polll* on this forum that proves hbc's assertion.

*referenced poll may be neither scientific nor peer reviewed (fortunately nobody ever reads the footnotes).

• Global Moderator

Snag the 2015... but see about possibly getting a set of tires swapped... they might be flat spotted depending on how long the dealer has had it

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Tank panels can be swapped for cheap. The model year on resale can make a small difference, but less than the overall mileage, maintenance schedule and physical condition of the bike.

Flat spots on the tires are possible I suppose, but I've hopped on bikes that have sat for over a year and nothing felt wrong.

Everything went braap.

thanks to those of you that picked a color. I'm on the fence which is my reason for getting some rider opinions.. I'm guessing some of you have had more time to consider color schemes than I have...which is why I like to hear your opinions. i'll be sure to post which one i end up with and keep the replies coming,,, thank you come again.

• Premium Member

I doubt the dealer would let a bike sit in one place long enough to get flat spots in the tire. I have to assume they know better; it's bad for business to have to replace tires for that.

The people that weren't able to get the blurple rims and instead got the slower red and white models will always try to talk you out of getting what they wish they could've gotten themselves. It's a defense mechanism. Pay it no mind. For my money, I would love the silver 2016 panels, but you could buy the 2015 Graphite and swap/paint panels for less than $400.

Since there are not mechanical difference in the 2 model years, get the color you want. It will likely cost you more than $400 to paint plastics. Take the $400 and put it toward gear, mods, beer, etc. Depending on how your insurance company's secret formulas work, the 2015 model may be slightly cheaper to insure. If $$$ is the serious concern, it's worth a call to find out.

• Global Moderator

To replace the panels it's somewhere in the ballpark of 250 bucks for oem painted tank panels... and the raven/graphite have the colored panels extended along the whole bike and its around an additional 200 for those extras

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Ooo, don't do the .... like you aren't happy with it. Something wrong? First time you crack that throttle open, tell me you didn't have a big ol' grin from ear to ear. Congrats!

• Premium Member

I would go with the frame and wheel color you like better, the plastics are easy to swap out and are pretty inexpensive.

Actually Yamahappy....I was pretty disappointed on my ride home...but...she starting to get show some character as I put some miles on. I can see the mods bringing out her true self.  But the riding position has got me very confused as well

I'm sure it will all work out.  

Overall.. yeah, the best value bike on the road IMO, and I couldn't be happier about the purchase. I can't wait to start my day.

Archived