The MT-07 Forum

Daughters first ride.

V8titanpwr

• Premium Member

So proud of my little one today. My daughter is 3 y/o and I took her out around the neighborhood on the bike for the first time today and she absolutely loved it! All she could say was "faster, faster". She will be ready for her dirtbike next year for sure. So proud of her, it made my week for sure.

Enjoy.

dIkdxiE.jpg

m6X9BhD.jpg

XzqAc9j.jpg

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

• Premium Member

The smile says it all. She looks like she is having a blast and I know you are too. This is awesome! Enjoy the time. :)

• Premium Member

I'll say it. That kid is way too young to be on that bike without gear. Still, those are some crazy cute pictures and she looks like she's having the time of her life. My stepdad did that with me when I was little and I still remember it. We were on the highway though, so considerably dumber move on his part. You're her dad, so obviously you feel she's safe enough. As an outside party, I just worry about the unknowns too much. I have considered taking my 9 and 11 year old girls out, but I still feel like there's just too many idiots on the road and I can't be sure something won't happen. I couldn't handle it if anything ever happened to either of them.

• Global Moderator

I thought about that too, but going fairly slowly in what is obviously a very quiet neighborhood I would have done tthe same thing. Now if there was any traffic or speed involved it would be a different story.

Great pictures though. Thanks for sharing.

I could care less what people wear anymore when they ride. Sure you're safer in most instances to ride with protective equipment but the one thing I care about more is our choice, our right to do what we want as individuals so I'm not saying anything about adults riding without a helmet, gloves, etc. but a child should be made to wear at least a helmet because their brains aren't developed enough to make good choices for themselves. I read somewhere that you only have to be going a mere 10 mph. to crack your skull when you fall over on a bike and whether you're going 100 mph. or 10, something unexpected can happen to cause a bike to fall over. It's just a suggestion, I'm only concerned for the child's safety. I'm sure you're a great dad, you're having a blast with your child and the dirt bike idea is awesome. So much safer whether riding solo or passenger in the dirt.

Beemer

• Premium Member

Let me ease some people's thoughts. Obviously I didn't take her out with traffic, that is a dumbass move for her being the age she is. We were going up and down the street in a very quiet neighborhood and didn't go over 10mph. She is my daughter so I wouldn't intentionally put her in any danger whatsoever. She fit on the bike in such a way that when my feet were on the pegs, her legs were underneath mine and she was tight up against the tank so she wasn't going anywhere. I do appreciate the concern as none of you know me personally and there are more idiots out there than people with common sense.

What I'm happy to see is your name matches what you look like.

Anyway a while ago I did the same as well, rode with my daughter around the neighborhood housing streets so I know saying "wear some gear" is completely unnecessary.

She is older now and she has since rode in light traffic but she is also wearing a custom hand tailored kevlar jeans (thanks to my wife), boots, pink leather jacket, motorcycle gloves and a helmet.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Global Moderator

Great picture, thanks for sharing! I did the same thing when my son was a tiny little guppy. And he loved it too.
With all due respect, people need to relax. It's all fun and games. A good parent obviously is not going to take a kid on the tank and then go crazy in traffic. I generally find that folks nowadays are getting too overprotective (I'm not looking at anyone here specific).

• Premium Member
Let me ease some people's thoughts. Obviously I didn't take her out with traffic, that is a dumbass move for her being the age she is. We were going up and down the street in a very quiet neighborhood and didn't go over 10mph. She is my daughter so I wouldn't intentionally put her in any danger whatsoever. She fit on the bike in such a way that when my feet were on the pegs, her legs were underneath mine and she was tight up against the tank so she wasn't going anywhere. I do appreciate the concern as none of you know me personally and there are more idiots out there than people with common sense.
No sweat, dude. I figured you wouldn't endanger her. I just can't for my own, not until they're a little older and can hold on better.

It's cool. Like I said, it's just a suggestion. Everyone here is relaxed and being normally concerned. I know you wouldn't ride with her in a bunch of traffic or purposely endanger her, I wasn't implying you did or would do that but I WAS thinking about other things that can happen unexpectedly at low speeds to cause an accident (how many good parents can attest to that happening?) when all seems safe and therefore a helmet on her head may be a good idea. 

Beemer

She looks perfectly safe (and very happy!) to me. No traffic, slow enough speed for camera to catch a pic, etc. Also, has anyone ever tried to find STREET gear for kids? There is not much there outside of the dirt scene; I've looked!

Anyway. Great pics, thanks for sharing ^_^

[video src=""] You did the right thing by introducing your daughter to motorcycles. Life is too short to miss all the opportunities, even at a young age.
You are a father and a biker, so I have no doubt you know all too well what it implies to teach your own daughter the realities of riding a bike.
I did the same with my daughter. At six, she was going down our small road on my Kawasaki Z750. When she was 9 years old
IMG_3482_zpsfuwtpilm.jpg
 I took her on 10 miles trips on my slow Yamaha XT250. That's when she got HOOKED for life.
Now, she is 14 years old, and she is the one that DEMANDS to go on rides.
This last summer, I took her to do Deals Gap and many more rides.[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw9cN4cXgEE]
By now, I know she would rather have a motorcycle than a car for her 16th birthday.
So my question to you is, you opened that can of worms, are you ready to assume what's coming to you? :) (By the way, your daughter is adorable)

• Premium Member

^ That's awesome! I plan on getting her a 50cc to start out on for her next birthday as I do want to teach her young so she has a respect for motorcycles when shes older. I lost my brother to a motorcycle accident so I know all too well the risks vs rewards of being on a bike, even with that I would still love to teach her.

Actually hitting Deals Gap at the end of the month with some friends for the first time, i'm pretty stoked. Thanks for sharing.

She looks perfectly safe (and very happy!) to me. No traffic, slow enough speed for camera to catch a pic, etc. Also, has anyone ever tried to find STREET gear for kids? There is not much there outside of the dirt scene; I've looked!  
Anyway. Great pics, thanks for sharing ^_^
You can get a street open face helmet for around as small as 3-4 year old depending on how big their head is, but it is more for 4-5 year olds.  Gloves you need to unfortunately stick with dirtbike gloves.  Jacket, you are restricted to just buying a leather jacket for the whee ones and no pants, thus my wife had to make custom kevlar jeans from industrial use kevlar arm sleeves that I bought from amazon.  And then above ankle leather boots. 
So yeah, very hard to find street gear for kids.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

I just put my newborn inside my jacket and zip it up.

Juuuuust kidding...  ;) I just strap her to the pillion pad with some bungees.* 

* I don't have bungees. 

(rofl)

pineappleunderthesea

Took my 11 year old out yesterday, but he had all his gear on since we go on longer rides.  He really likes being on the bike!

As for children on bikes:  when I did my research on whether or not kids can ride on the back of a bike in PA, I read that any passenger under 21 must wear a helmet, so that was a necessity.  I also found stories of people being charged with child neglect when very young kids cannot reach the footpegs.  So at this point in my life, I just prefer to be safe than sorry, last thing I need is some prosecutor deciding to make an example out of me.

(p.s.  that jacket makes it look like I have a gut, but I really don't!)

FZ07_zpsa16smxle.jpg

pineappleunderthesea
@pineappleunderthesea What came in that big box from Revzilla???  :D   
(P.S. I don't think it looks like you have a gut in that pic.)
The Revzilla box had Hi-Viz Brian's beard!  You can buy it for $9998.95!  (I'm kidding about me buying the beard, but not kidding that it's actually listed as an item on Rev). 
The box had the Oxford Big Black rear stand, and the HJC Youth Helmet for my son.  I think it might also have contained the Kriega R20 backpack. The rear stand is okay (it's the one with paddles for the swingarm), there's a bit of play in the bars since it's not one solid piece, but once on the bike it's nice and solid, and will only be used occasionally anyway.  The Kriega is nice, holds everything I need for commuting (laptop, spare winter gloves, spare shoes, Ram mount, and various other stuff).  Nice and slim, too.

@pineappleunderthesea What came in that big box from Revzilla???  :D   
(P.S. I don't think it looks like you have a gut in that pic.)
The Revzilla box had Hi-Viz Brian's beard!  You can buy it for $9998.95!  (I'm kidding about me buying the beard, but not kidding that it's actually listed as an item on Rev).
The reviews... lol

here are some good ideas for riding with young children BUNGEE CORDS!!!

ddd.jpgmjn.jpg

I just put my newborn inside my jacket and zip it up. 
Juuuuust kidding...  ;) I just strap her to the pillion pad with some bungees.* 

* I don't have bungees. 

(rofl)

I thought I was the only one that did that! You have to be careful about doing that sort of thing, some people get real mad. For instance, my wife got mad because I used her "good" bungee cords when I did it so now I use the older, cracked bungees to keep her happy. (JUUUUST KIDDING)  ;-| 
* I've never bungee'd a baby but I am willing to learn how.

Beemer

Archived