The MT-07 Forum

Registering my FZ (and my car) in CA

fzpolice

Hey guys, 

Planning on moving to CA from NC in a few months and was wondering what you all could tell me about registration for both my FZ and my car. My googling resulted in a bunch of out of date answers that basically amounted to "Sell the bike and get a new one when you get there."

My car is also a 2014 Mustang GT that has stock cats but an aftermarket cat back exhaust. Should still pass smog, but I have no idea what any of this CARB stuff means. From my understanding, if the vehicle wasn't built for CA regulations, I'm pretty much out of luck.

HALPPP <3

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome to California! Which area?

I'm not sure how to register an out of state vehicle here but people come here in droves and do it all the time. I think if the car doesn't pass smog there is a limit on how much they make you spend in order to get it to pass. (So you won't go broke doing it) Motorcycles don't have to be smogged yet. Good luck and maybe I'll see you around if you're in the bay area.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

It won't be an issue to register your vehicle here in California. You will just be required to "participate" in a smog test before registration is issued. That's just common practice. Depending on where in California you go, a probe won't even be used. They'll just hook up the computer to make sure all sensors are working properly to give you the green light. Having an aftermarket cat back won't mean nothing really. They don't raise the vehicle in the air looking for stuff. They may look under the hood to see anything obvious or noticeable but that is it. From there you will have to pay your taxes at the DMV before you get plates.

• Premium Member

To the OP:
I have been in that position, but probably my experience is way out of date.

In 1995 I moved to California from Missouri. In order to register my two cars, I had to have them smog inspected. Both passed the emission test, but since they were not California spec-ed, I had to pay a $300 fee per car. I was sooooooo happy...

Three years later, having moved out of California, I received a check reimbursing me for some of that amount. Apparently there was a class action suit about this praxis and California lost it.
And don't get me started on the fact that LA had only TWO DMV offices for the entire city. You had to make an appointment a month in advance...
Again, this was 20 years ago. You need someone with more recent experience.

This reminds me: when I moved to KY, the state tried to charge me for sales taxes on our 9 year old car at registration. As a good pack rat, we had the original bill of sale showing that we had already paid it and the state backed down :(
Marco

I am a crazy Physics Prof. Beware :o:)

I just moved here this spring with a 2003 Diesel F350 with 200k+ miles and a motorcycle. I also happened to choose one of the strictest counties for smog.
My truck passed. 'nuf said.
Smog tip- never take a cold engine in, always run it good & warm out on the freeway before testing.
All they need on the bike is to verify engine numbers match with your title.
FYI- depending on where you are moving from, you may need to turn your old plates back in to your old state. In CA they will offer to destroy them for you.

Ps- no one will go poking around under your vehicles. The smog places couldn't care less.

Great information guys, I really appreciate it. That's especially good to know there's no visual inspections because I saw a lot of people talking on forums that high flow cats will pass smog but not visual.

To those curious, my tentative decision is Rancho Cucamonga, but that could change based on job opportunities.

Archived