The MT-07 Forum

Fender eliminator problem

xyu

Hi. I have a little problem that would probably take a person handier than I a few seconds to solve.

I bought the very popular fender eliminator from ebay. The problem I ran into is the license plates in Taiwan are way too big and they cover the place the led turn signals would normally go. Is there a way to extend it out further?
7e9b99c1c0317460dda106986f3146e6.jpg
417ae96c318d1f1766cf0745c771e210.jpg

As you can see, the turn signals bolt on in a perfect spot for a normal motorcycle license plate.  but for some reason in Taiwan, they decided to make their plates massive.  I have no idea how i could extend it out. I'm racking my brain. I've checked all the local taiwan hardware stores for inspiration or to see if there are some sort of hollow bolts i could buy but came up short.  Then I was thinking what if there are some sot of threaded PVC pipe that i could screw on and drill a hole into so that the wires could be thread through.  I couldn't find one small enough.  If anyone has any ideas, please run it by me. My parts list is limited because I live in Taiwan, and i'm not sure where to find things.   QQ

Can try getting a spacer. Cant say what size, but maybe a hollow copper or steal spacer 1" x what ever size the screw is in the signals. ???!

Honda Grom
CB 350

Can try getting a spacer. Cant say what size, but maybe a hollow copper or steal spacer 1" x what ever size the screw is in the signals. ???!  

I did find a spacer at a hardware store, but for some reason I couldn't screw it onto the LEDs bolt.  I wonder if their thread size is not standard (is there a standard)?   Then i questioned, even if the spacer did fit. I would need another bolt at the end to fix it to the tail tidy, right? So how would i feed the wires through?  The bolt would plug the end of the spacer and the wires wouldn't feed through. Would i need to drill a hole into the spacer?  They are pretty small and that didn't seem easy.   

Maybe I will end up having to get an integrated tail light like this.
But i would rather not.  If there is no other option I will though. I even got so desperate as to imagine myself going the illegal route and buying / making a customized license plate that looks like the real one only smaller.  I'm not even sure the police here would notice.  haha.

This is what I was thinking:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Steel-Control-Arm-Spacer-5-8-Inch-x-1-Inch,60123.html

Or...

http://www.spec-net.com.au/press/1108/eci_121108.htm

You don't have to use these specific ones, but I'd imagine it going in between the bracket and light. like I said I don't know the measurements, but other wise I'd draw you what I'm thinking. It's enough to make the light stick out, but have enough to still screw it on. Idk. Lol.

Honda Grom
CB 350

Just off the top of my head, maybe a hardware store would have a fence bracket like this one. If it's the right size you can drill the holes bigger, attach one side with a new screw and nut and run the signal stem through the other hole closest to the outer edge of the plate.

[attachment id=976" thumbnail="1] 

Beemer

Oh that's a good idea. I'll check today. I bought some bushings and screwed them together to make a spacer but the threads are different. (I was just going to force them onto the turn signal)

83fb565385df76335c1dbdd93cb38243.jpg

But the bracket route will not damage the signals bolt.

• Premium Member

If you find out the actual thread specs for the turn signal or which ever piece that is not fitting, you should be able to buy that sized tap and rethread the fitting well enough to work quite adequately.

• 1 year later...

just drop your no plate down a few inches,make a couple of brackets and the gap left fit a red reflector.
alternative you could try these but UK base ebay....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A2-STAINLESS-STEEL-ALL-THREAD-SLEEVE-ROD-BAR-STUD-ROUND-CONNECTOR-TUBE-LONG-NUTS-/111846278490?var=410826600201&hash=item1a0a8ec55a:m:mDN517KYQemOd0KWWWGGG7Q

s-l1600.jpg

7e9b99c1c0317460dda106986f3146e6.jpg

looking at this picture..
you could drill a hole lower just under the indicator and counter sink the hole .
put a count sink bolt through and use a domed nut but you may or not need to cut away a little bit of no plate?
just a thought.

bolting it to the edge of the plate will only snap off.
aluminium plate is only thin and don't like vibs etc.

This thread is almost 2 years old...I'm going to assume the OP figured something out.

Never give up!!!

Archived