The MT-07 Forum

Do I Need a Power Commander (or the EJK)?

omenofwar

To start off hi I'm new to posting, I apologize if this has been posted, yes I did search for this in the forums please don't crucify me.

I just bought and installed an Akrapovic Titanium exhaust. My questions are these: Do I need to have either, a Power Commander or a EJK, for my bike to run correctly? I know it runs more efficiently, but is it necessary? 

I have seen all the posts about the products but can't tell if it is necessary. 

Thanks,
Omen

• Premium Member

Ur best off getting an ECU reflash... not trying to kick EJK or PC5, they both work but have limits... EJK is just a fuel tab adjuster...PC5 with an auto tuner is more geared towards racers in my book to get a certain performance window...the ECU reflash will just about adjust everything by removing the EPA friendly timing, adjusting the fan temp switch and they even turn the semi truck grade engine braking by down by a wide margin and a few other things to let the fz07 run like it's supposed to

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

booboobusfz07

Is it neccesary? No.
Highly beneficial? Yes.
The ecu has enough leeway to change the fuel to a non damaging range. So running an exhaust w/o a fuel controller of some sort is 'safe'.
The aftermarket fuel controllers are a great addition though. Adds power. Eases the snatchy throttle at low rpms. Eases engine braking. Some can help fuel economy of tuned correctly

Awesome thanks y'all.

I'd like to do a reflash simply because I live in Texas and we hit 100 degree weather no problem every year and I like to ride no matter the weather. BUT I don't like having my bike down for too long (as of right now since its 70 degrees and feels like awesome sauce) and I've heard that it takes a little while for it to come back, I could just be impatient too. The fuel controllers seem an easy option to do but I have only noticed a slight power loss right now, and I can still get it up on one wheel easily.

Also I have to say that the exhaust sounds freaking amazing. Didn't know what to expect but holy God it... I should have done this from the get go.

Thanks,

Omen

• Premium Member

You don't lose any power or at least feel like it has lost any power if the fuel controller has the right settings. The purpose of the fuel controller is to get the right Air/Fuel ratio so that it runs smooth, doesn't backfire on decel or acceleration, and runs to your satisfaction.

• 4 weeks later...

Get a good reflash and preferably one that uses the O2 sensor still in the circuit. Especially with big temp, humidity and or altitude ranges. Smoothes the bike out, improves fuel economy, better power delivery and invisible to those who don't need to know the bike is modified.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived