The MT-07 Forum

Insurance Repairs

Lucius

I had the misfortune recently of running my FZ07 into a curb coming around a corner too fast. I am recovering and my motorcycle has been at the shop over a week now still waiting for an estimate. Here's my question... how do they handle repairs when there are aftermarket parts that may have been damaged such as the Yoshimura Exhaust, CRG Mirrors, etc.. Are they planning on returning it to stock form if those parts are damaged or will they at my request replace them with the aftermarket parts? I guess it comes down to price. Maybe they estimate it with stock parts and if I can still stay within that number using the aftermarket parts, they'll allow it? 

Fact is, I still have all the original parts in my garage. I just don't want to put them back on. Any advice or thoughts? Anyone with experience with repairs after a crash? Thank you.

Here's the video from the crash if you're interested.

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9JWZqTdpxg]

I believe most insurance policies have the option to add "add-on" coverage for up to a certain amount. So if you don't have that, and you are at fault, only OE parts would be used. Now if someone else was at fault, their insurance would be responsible to returning it to the same condition per-accident.

• Premium Member

Anytime you use your insurance for repairs, its considered an at fault accident and will affect your insurance the next time its due for renewal so you won't see the difference immediately.

That's what insurance is for. Yes, my rates will go up eventually, but then they'll eventually come back down too. No one likes getting in an accident, but when it happens, it's nice to know I can get my vehicle fixed regardless of fault. This one was all on me, so I had to turn it into insurance or be without a motorcycle for quite some time, since I don't have enough $$ lying around to fix it myself.

• Premium Member

That's why we pay for insurance. Just in case right? No point in paying for it and not using it unless you have some type of outrageous deductible.

when i wreaked last year they totaled my bike. they asked for copies of the receipts for the exhaust and power commander and added a percentage of that to the total amount the gave me. 

Man. Sorry to ask but were you able to call an ambulance or did you lose consciousness and someone saw you?

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Premium Member

That looked like it could've gone a lot worse. Just a hard roll into some grass. Glad you're ok. Sorry about your bike.

Confucious say, "when use more throttle, more push on handlebar for more lean".

Don't you just hate the animal instinct to look at your impending doom and thereby seal your fate?

Mend well. The shop will probably look up the new purchase price of the obvious after-market items and put it on the claim. Otherwise, the mechanic may look up the OEM part number (eg. stock exhaust) and put that dollar figure on it.

However, if you talk to the guy doing the write-up and say "I have the replacement exhaust already" or "ignore the header, just need the can" he should modify according to your instructions. Is the pipe serviceable? I'd just re-use it but nobody ever accused me of owning pretty bikes.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Duenan, I believe I blacked out for a bit. Someone found me 9 minutes later and called the ambulance.

Yamahappy74, Actually, I landed on a sidewalk. That's what gave me roadrash and scraped up the chin of my helmet. Gear saved me from being much worse though. Grass might've helped the bike some.

Pattonme, I actually remember giving it more throttle in the turn, but I was already scraping and it was too late to try to lean off. Amazing how fast it all happened.

I'm moving around pretty well now. Even drove my car a couple times. Might go check out the bike tomorrow at the shop, since they've really been dragging their feet doing the estimate. If I'm lucky, the bike just slid on one side and didn't do any flips/tumbles. I'll post some bike pics once I have them.

Thanks for all the comments and well wishes.

Lucius

If you can fix your motorcycle yourself go get it after they have done the quote.
The insurance company will send you a check then you can fix it how you want.

I'm in same position but have my bike at home waiting for parts, my insurance paid for my gear also.

Call your insurance company and ask questions.

Mr.Pattonme is getting some of my money:)

Already got a check in the mail for my helmet and jacket. The shoes and gloves seemed to survive pretty well. I would consider fixing it myself if there's no fork or frame damage. I'll find out soon enough.

Archived