The MT-07 Forum

Max capacity

madcore84

Ok so now I'm getting a ear full from the wife. I'm seeing the max capacity is about 388 I believe. This is my first bike and I really enjoy it so far. I have it just under 500 miles and just finished the first oil change.

I am wondering what ways of any to increase the max capacity safely? I'm about 220 max and my wife wasn't too happy seeing how she just found out she would have to be 168 to ride with me and that's pushing it.

• Premium Member

Only thing you can really do apart from basically designing a new bike would be adress the suspension. Heavier springs front and back.

That said, exceeding the max weight by a little bit probably won't have any ill effect. There's an additional safety margin factored in there.

Everything went braap.

I would be as worried about the rear subframe as the spring at that rate. It is not the most well braced and stiff design. Add to that it is rear weight biased and the handling just may be a bit marginal. Get her one as well so she can ride...

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

If you have to react real fast, maybe just hit a bump too hard with her on the back the forces on the spring, frame, etc. will be greater than you know and something 'could' go wrong in a hurry. Maybe nothing will happen but are you willing to take chances with someones life? New bike time I'd say.

Beemer

Only 2 suggestions I can give are both of you hit the gym together or get her a motorcycle of her own!

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

You said it's your first bike with just under 500 miles. I wouldn't think about taking on a passenger until you get more experience. Maybe then get a different bike. Of course I really think she should get her own bike. Being in the back is nice but it's so much better to be the rider.

" You said it's your first bike with just under 500 miles. I wouldn't think about taking on a passenger until you get more experience."
What she said.

Ok now I just need to find someone who will pay 7.5k for a fz07 that has less than 600 miles with a fender eliminator as well as stands for the front and back..... Yah not going to be a problem.......

I'm gonna have to put my MSF hat on and say, sorry mate you need a solid season of riding before you should consider taking responsibility for a passenger. Ride every day, in complex environments (not nobody out here country roads or highway) for a week and you'll have another couple hundred pretty quick. If she complains about you taking said rides, just say "honey, this bloke on the Internet said I needed more experience before I put your life in danger, so the sooner I rack up another 200-300 training miles, the sooner I can satisfy your desires."

But if I put my Practical hat on top (remember when riders would stack 3+ ball caps on during post-race interviews?), and you can't be dissuaded, ride on the back yourself on several occasions on the FZ with a more experienced pilot in command. Then reverse the roles, you drive and your experienced rider friend rides on the back and you do parking lot drills, city driving, and a couple of deliberately chosen routes that you think you want to take your honey on. And part of your training should include him randomly doing crazy Ivan^H^H^H^H shet, like leaning the wrong way, bouncing and squirming in his seat, ploughing into you on a stop, and turning around.

Her intro to riding on the back should be with an experienced pilot. Have her ride with your friend first. Your bike or his doesn't much matter.

Now on the dawn of that fateful morn, if she's decked out in full gear (proper boots! not that anklet crap) and you happen to live in a 'quiet' part of the country or go out early Sunday morning when traffic tends to be on the light side, and keep the pace very much on the sedate end of the scale after doing a clinic with her in a suitable series of side streets or parking lots, then you can probably get away with sallying forth on your trusty steed, your faithful maiden at your back.

Engineering tolerances probably exceed 30% but even so, increasingly modern bikes have been FE'd to death and all sorts of 'novel' manufacturing techniques have been employed to use as little material as possible and to minimize weight. An old CB750 or Seca-II had a decent subframe but those days appear to be gone for good. Unfortunate, really.

And don't hit any pot holes. Steady pressure doesn't generally break things. It's the sudden force spikes that cause the elastic modulus to cry uncle.

Yeah not a good time to sell a bike. Buy, on the other hand (500mi 2015 FZ09 for 6 grand I hope...)

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

No o agree with more exp needed. She's not wanting to jump on right now but doesn't want to keep paying for a bike that she can ever ride and I understand. I really don't have much to lose I'm 6ft 3in. She is tall too.

You don't have to buy a new bike. Get her a second hand good one and some decent motorcycle tuition for BOTH of you at the same time. More fun and you can reinforce each other's learning. Be more than prepared for her to be a better rider though. Not saying she will be, just be prepared. Experience shows women learn more from structured motorcycle learning experiences. Of course she just might be better...full stop.
A cheap good condition bike is usually a better way to go for a first bike anyway. Please steer clear of pure sport bikes though if you take this path. They are not forgiving. You tell to do something and they will have done it before you decide it wasn't really a good idea.
Pattonme makes a whole heap of valid points as well ( as usual). You have to learn to be a pillion just like you have to learn to be a rider. Some motorcycle courses in this country allow people to learn WITH their pillion and get appropriate coaching your's may be the same.
Another possibility. Ride the bike for a while and learn, then buy yourself a new one and give her the MT. With the suspension fixed it IS a fine beginner bike ( I ain't no beginner and It's a fine experienced rider's bike as well. That is unusual duality).

As of right now she keeps saying she doesn't want her Owen bike to just be a rider... Ok fz is my first road bike. I'm use to off road but everyone keeps talking about the suspension... I don't see anything really wrong with it can someone fill me in?

I can't comment on the back because perhaps I'm too light, but the front end is boing boing boing.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

The rear suspension is the worst point on the bike. Check out the Suspension threads. Way too soft and underdamped. If you do nothing else get a properly sprung and damped aftermarket shock. ESPECIALLY if you are going to take a pillion ( but do it even if you aint!). TRANSFORMS the bike.

Archived