The MT-07 Forum

Stock MT07/FZ07 shock IS rebuildable!

gregjet

I was replying to a thread elsewhere and realized I didn't have the shock stroke length so I whipped out to the shed and pulled the spring of mine ( it is sitting in my discarded parts bin). After measuring the stroke I noticed the cap over the shaft seal was not welded. or a single piece. Thinks lets see if it comes off...it does. Aluminium cap with a dust seal and below is a floating wiper and a seal piece held in by a circlip. AT THIS POINT I SHOULD POINT OUT TO THE CURIOUS NOT TO TRY AND REMOVE THE CIRCLIP. The shock is under very high pressure and it would NOT be pretty.
However what this means is that any well equipped suspension place will probably be able to disassemble the shock and improve the damping. Some places can even put a remote reservoir on.  At the same time perhaps replace the steel adjuster and badly made spring retainer with aluminium ones. If you are upgrading the spring it could be done at the same time. Just a thought.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Did you happen to take any pictures of this that I could show to the guy who normally builds my miata shocks?

Thanks

Portfolio > www.brandonlajoie.com

Hmm, and with any luck a ~6mm disk with o-ring and you can have a floating-piston shock instead of emulsion. Curious how much meat there is at the top but you might get away with a 2-part shrader-like valve.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

That looks like it is a decarbon style shock already ( lower floating gas piston). Note "pressurized" sticker and the body is reinforced at the bottom.

• Global Moderator
A member posted on here (I believe it was last year) that Traxxion Dynamics revalved his stock shock.
Wonder what that cost him

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I was going to guess $250 and http://www.traxxion.com/Street-Bike-Shop-Services/ says $225. Throw in a better piston and probably looking at $300.

Hmm, does this mean I could offer parts to change the preload ramp into a threaded ring? Thing is once you start getting into $450 territory I think you'd be better off just shelling out for the $600-class shocks and get all aluminum bodies, ride height, etc.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Global Moderator

How about i send i to you along with my forks and you rebuild/spring it for my weight :P

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Sorry @sorkyah I'm not equipped to handle shocks. Though I could run it up to www.mrpmotorsports.com/suspension/ - he does great work and his prices are a little less. Plus I need a shock dyno'd and he's the closest guy.

And I could take some measurements and make a test adapter that would take Traxxion's preload collars which are very handy to adjust. Maybe even flip the adjuster south for north since, correct me if I'm wrong, it would be a darn sight easier to do preload adjustments at the clevis end.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

" Sorry sorkyah I'm not equipped to handle shocks. "
I was wondering. I am guessing the de and repressuring is the problem?

"And I could take some measurements and make a test adapter that would take Traxxion's preload collars which are very handy to adjust."
There are 4 things that appear obvious for a change. Pressed metal adj. collar, the adjusting position ( as you pointed out), the pressed metal spring retainer, tap in dust seal cap and the dirt holder...er sorry dust cover. The spring is a different coil diameter at each end BTW and will fit both ways.
The clevis end has two flat sections at the bottom so would give you a stop to mount an adjsuter against with pretty simple machining. The bumper has a shroud that I would like to mod as well but needs the shock removed to do it properly. That with a flatter tap in cover would give aa bit more travel that would be useful for road work.
The dustcover is useful as an anti-rattle anti-rubbing device but need to be cut down to allow access to the shaft to keep it clean.

Pattonme you know if you make some Al addon that are pretty people will buy them just caus they are bling. ( then find out they can't actually put them on without a spring compressor).
Flipping the adjuster end is a very sound idea. Much easier to get to.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

Does anyone know if a better shock from another bike model will fit the FZ-07? I'm all for upgrading my shock, but the sticker shock displaces my enthusiasm for replacement. Rebuild for $225 is much better but removal and replacement without the wait time would be much more preferred.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

I was wondering. I am guessing the de and repressuring is the problem? 
Pattonme you know if you make some Al addon that are pretty people will buy them just caus they are bling. ( then find out they can't actually put them on without a spring compressor).
Flipping the adjuster end is a very sound idea. Much easier to get to.
yeah there's that, and need a spring compressor rig, but my lack of domain knowledge is the real biggie. I don't know what a proper shock dyno graph looks like. I could learn, sure, and it would help a lot to get my own dyno instead of traipsing across the Beltway 90 minutes each way. 
anyhow I'm already busy enough with forks. Spent 2 days on a Ninja 300. I'm going to have to charge more for that model. Being sick doesn't help either.

Flipping the spring preload mechanism around with bespoke parts, that I can probably do.
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

A hydraulic spring compressor with replaceable spring rings is a beautiful thing. Expensive but beautiful. Now I have my lathe I could make my own, but already bought one a few years ago.

Anyone know what a spring compressor for single shock suspensions looks like? Picture maybe?

modmaster

Google "shock spring compressor" click on Images. ;)

http://racetech.com/html_files/SHOCK_SPRING_COMPRESS.html
http://www.racetech.com/EmailList/News/RTnews-090707.html

Most shops I've been in use the Ohlins version.

Cool thread: http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/honda-rc51/63564-how-service-shocks.html

yes, I can build this myself. Shit, I have all the raw materials in my garage.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Something like this but without the dirst and metal swarf?
shock%20spring%20compressor%202.jpg

If you make your self one of these, the base of the jack MUST be solidly attached to the bottom plate or you will die...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I know the FZ-09 shock has a IFP design and I would guess that this does as well as the body style is right there with the FZ-09 just no rebound adjuster and instead of a clevis you have the eyelet.

Terry

Archived