The MT-07 Forum

Overwhelmed with Exhaust / Fuel Controller Decision

thomascrown

The akra titanium looks oem, w baffle, it's not alarmingly loud to where a cop would suspect foul play. I would do a pcv or reflash for tuning though. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Premium Member

No exhaust is legal in California but unless you're really being stupid riding around then you won't bring attention to yourself. I think you can do the install very easily. I could even walk you through it over facetime or something step by step as long as you have the tools. Not many tools are needed. There are also youtube videos as well. It's up to you if you want to do a reflash or fuel controller. Some people such as myself just go with a fuel controller so if i have to go back stock I can with no issue. I can set the controller not to adjust for fuel. The Akra is a great exhaust system. I installed an M4 slip on which required cutting the the catalytic converter off but that still wasn't difficult. let me know if you still have questions.

The reflash adjusts many parameters, not just fuel like the EJK. The reflash is specific to your mods, assuming someone has already had it done with the same mods. The reflash is a more accurate way to adjust the air fuel mixture. Only downside with the flash is that the ecu has to come out and be shipped if any adjustments are needed. I have the reflash and I love it.

You just need a friend!  No, not to install the exhaust, but to... well, watch this:

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2fXTf2hcoA]

Check with the mechanics who work at the shop where you bought the bike.  I bet more than one of them moonlight, and would be happy to help you out.  Wish I could.  Hell, I bet you have guys lining up to help before you know it!

If you do get stopped by the cops, you should be able to sell the exhaust for better than half the purchase price.  It certainly won't be a total loss.

So glad to hear you're enjoying riding so much.  Mine has become simply transportation, but I'd rather ride it than drive any of my cars!

Good luck on your new quest.

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

Wish I could take credit, but Guru posted that gem.

Really wish I could give you a hand with this.  But, not only are you a couple thousand miles away, but I'm not up to speed on the computer work.  You seem like the kind of person who wants this done right! :)

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

• Premium Member

JUST BUY IT ALREADY

LOL but seriously, here is my $0.02: the install isn't awful, and there are several good videos out there that you can watch and gauge if you think you have the tools and skills necessary to handle it. As far as fuel controller vs. ECU reflash, I would personally go for the reflash (from our supporting vendor 2 Wheel Dynoworks) -- in addition to having your bike dialed in specifically for your new exhaust, it will also help with things like reducing engine braking and other parameters. It is also much easier to install than a fuel controller (just pop it out, ship it off, and plug it back in when it comes back). Downside? You can't tweak any parameters like you can with a fuel controller. If changing your fuel settings is something you intend to do regularly, go with the fuel controller. If you want to get it set once and then forget about it, the ECU reflash is the way to go.

You live in California, there are a whole bunch of FZ07 owners on these forums that would easily help you install the exhaust if you reach out to anyone on the west coast board.

Also on the subject of fuel controllers and reflash, the fuel controller is a harder install job. I would say it is slightly harder than the exhaust install mainly because I hate tight spots + laziness combo (would not want to remove fuel tank) which is why I went with the reflash route.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

Oh and technically, every after market exhaust save for the akra titanium is illegal in ALL states for road use. ALL STATES.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

Just buy it already,   B-|  ha! I kid. You sound just like me before I bought my exhaust system. I worried about Johnny Law and you know what, I worried for nothing. I found if you don't go around revving it too much or taking the rpm's up too high in the city you'll be alright. Johnny is looking for speeder's and drunks more than anything bot don't attract his attention just the same. On a scale of 1-5 I would rate mine as being about a 2 or 3 at most in difficulty (Akra carbon pipe) and that's mostly because I had to use a little muscle to get the header pipes spread apart and aligned and stretching the retainer springs that hold the pipes together can be a bear without the right tool, know-how or enough strength. I just used a screwdriver and finessed them on like I've always done with old drum brakes in cars. They do sell tools for stretching those springs, it'll make that job easier, I think. Good luck!

Beemer

I have the Akra Ti with ECU re flash and loving it. It's super easy and don't have to mess with all that tuning stuff, but both are good. You should give Nels and Pat at 2 wheelDynoworks a call, they can help shed some light on the whole ECU reflash and maybe even tune your bike on the Dyno.

Oh, wait your in Cali? Nevermind, think there in Washington? Unless you wanna commute? ;)

Honda Grom
CB 350

@gremlin I don't think my ass can handle an 1600 mile road trip yet :) But I'll definitely look into doing it by mail, it's sounding like a great option. 
By the way, do you ride with baffle in or out? Just curious.

I hear ya, that's a drive for sure.
I currently ride without the baffle... It's sounds beautiful, but can be loud with deep pulsing like vibes. Either way you'd be giggling with excitement.

Honda Grom
CB 350

• Premium Member

1. Grab a friend/another set of hands and do it. Make it a weekend project. I've never worked on a bike prior to the install, neither did my buddy and we were able to install EKJ and Akra Ti last year. Just have all the proper tools ready before you start.

2. I lived in southern California for 26 years and never heard of anyone getting stopped for exhaust on bike. Even with Akra Ti and baffle removed it doesn't come close to some of those Harley's I've heard. The DB level wouldn't be an issue if you leave the baffle in, but once its out you won't put it back.

There is a highschool 1 mile from where I live, and I always ride through this main street during school hours, there is always cops staking out the street at intersections just parked there. So I basically ride by a cop every day on a weekday, never been pulled over. He's just looking for speeders. I've also zoomed passed countless other cops and never one pull over.

The aftermarket exhausts are strangely tame at cruising speed. Its only when you twist the throttle does it sound loud and mean but nowhere even remotely close to a harley- I have 2 neighbors who ride Harleys, oy vey it is incomparable. I also have a neighbor who rides a SV650 and even his bike is a ton louder than my FZ with Yoshi. Any of you old folks on here who hate loud exhausts should give the FZ a break, it isn't loud at all relatively speaking. Direct all your angst at Harleys.

It also should be noted on the Yoshimura, baffle out doesn't make the exhaust any louder, just gives it a deeper (lower) tone. Akra Ti, you pretty much have to take the baffle out otherwise you have the second quietest exhaust (after stock). M4 slip on requires the most work of any other exhaust to put on, but its also one of the loudest out there. I mean, most aftermarkets all sound pretty much the same (with baffle out) but the M4 definitely gets the award for loudest out there on a well known brand.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Premium Member

I'd have to echo what pretty much everyone else has said...JUST BUT IT ALREADY!

:)

Seriously though, I think you'll be ok...on both accounts (install and Police).

I'd also go with the reflash, as it's a nice set and forget way to get everything dialed in and working properly, and the easiest to install. Win/win

If you go with the reflash, ask them if there is a different tune with baffle in vs out. I've only had mine tuned with it out, so I can say of there's a big difference or not.

:)

- Paulie

Nels told me for Yoshimura in particular I can go either way (baffle in or out) with the yoshimura flash. But I'm guessing that isn't true for all exhausts.

And alas, yes, the reflash does void warranty. But then you can also reflash back to stock for free and get your warranty back! Right? Right? Anyone?

]And alas, yes, the reflash does void warranty. But then you can also reflash back to stock for free and get your warranty back! Right? Right? Anyone?

I would think that's true, or just order another stock ECU?

Honda Grom
CB 350

Only the most dedicated would drop another 400 bucks for an extra ECU.

Ha! Real Men Megasquirt. Errr, in this case Microsquirt. http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/microsquirt-c-35.html

For those with less adventurous inclinations: https://ftecu.com/shop/2015-yamaha-fz7-data-link-ecu-flashing-kits/

IMO aside from the Trombone stunt, I find the horn works best to alert folks to your presence.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

If you're ok with the looks of the Akra carbon save yourself some money and get that instead of the Ti. I left the baffle in mine and it's plenty loud, so loud in fact, you don't have to look silly beeping your horn every time you get close to someone. (you were kidding, right, Patton?)

Listen to my pipe in the thread, "Choosing the Right Pipe". A Ti with baffle out may be deeper in tone but louder?

Beemer

I'm with you @tylerjanebr but my real concern (cops or if it is legal or illegal don't matter) is that I'm not sure if it will pass the emission test on the State Inspection.
My Fav exhausts are the Akra Carbon and the Termi Carbon.

If you're ok with the looks of the Akra carbon save yourself some money and get that instead of the Ti.
It's not a bad looking pipe, and saving a few hundred bucks is nice, but the Titanium is calling to me. I like how it sits more subtly under the bike, and I think the sound with baffle out is lovely. Plus I like the option of getting a cat with it, just in case I ever need to worry about my emissions. 
But we'll see. I still have some time to think it over...

I believe your first post said (over) thinking was resulting in delay and prevarication? This is 'murica. Impulse buy first, think later. ;)

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

@pattonme Well, I'm buying the exhaust now because I'm getting a fat little bonus in October, and I've all but decided that all of it will go into the bike. Going to grab some shorty levers, bar end mirrors, some Kreiga tail bags, and possibly a windscreen. But the exhaust purchase is a bit more involved than all that; gotta think it through carefully :)

Archived