The MT-07 Forum

Increase the idle without an ECU flash?

cybmx

I read sometime ago about someone getting their idle increased by the dealer,something to do with the fact his bike was stalling can't find the thread.So I am pretty sure that a Yamaha certified dealer might have the program to change that setting for you.I would probably call the dealer service department and find out.

I had mine richened up a little at tick over has it was stalling and it as not happened since,
the local Yamaha dealer did it but they said they could not alter the tick over speed.

I was thinking of getting something like this there are demo of similar on U-tube but not
showing one being used on the MT/FZ.

http://www.cmsnl.com/products/fi-disgnostic-tool_9089003182/#reviews

Thanks guys, but I don't have any stalling issues so that's not why I'm rising the idle. With higher idle I can practice tight figure 8s much easier. And I need it to be adjustable so I can lower it down. Wonder if I can make something to hold the throttle slightly open.

Don't alter the bike to make figure 8s easier... learn proper clutch control technique. Learning and knowing proper clutch control on low speed maneuvers is FREAKING IMPORTANT. Especially on the FZ07 where you will probably crash if you don't know clutch control.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

Don't alter the bike to make figure 8s easier... learn proper clutch control technique. Learning and knowing proper clutch control on low speed maneuvers is FREAKING IMPORTANT. Especially on the FZ07 where you will probably crash if you don't know clutch control.

You are assuming that I don't know how to use the clutch but that's not the case. On FZ when you close the throttle the fueling stop completely making abrupt engine brake. The stock idle is also too low to drag the rear brake so you have to crack open the throttle thus any slight mistake will make the maneuvers nerve racking.

Tell the stunt riders that they need to learn proper clutch control to wheelie circles before adjust their idles and see what they say.

If you adjust the throttle stop in some way the ecu will
immediately adjust it back to what it was if you adjust it
far enough it will run out of adjustment but will likely then
get a fault code. cant say I have had the problem but
suppose it depends on how tight the figurer of 8's are.
Try putting a small tie wrap round the arm that contacts 
the throttle stop so it holds the throttle slightly open and
see what happens.

If you adjust the throttle stop in some way the ecu will immediately adjust it back to what it was if you adjust it
far enough it will run out of adjustment but will likely then
get a fault code. cant say I have had the problem but
suppose it depends on how tight the figurer of 8's are.
Try putting a small tie wrap round the arm that contacts 
the throttle stop so it holds the throttle slightly open and
see what happens.

So you put on the tie wrap after starting the bike?
I'm thinking about making a little spring kind of device that will hold the throttle slight open, but allows me to force it to full close if I turn the throttle the opposite direction. Will report back if that works

If you want to play start it up let it settle to it's normal tick over then just
open the throttle a touch and slide something thin in the gap till you get the right speed
it will give you idea if it will work, something you could over come by turning the throttle
would be better, I just put a tie wrap round it and could slide it along to get it on or off
but was only playing to see if it worked, just be care full you don't want to dump the bike.

If you want to play start it up let it settle to it's normal tick over then just open the throttle a touch and slide something thin in the gap till you get the right speed
it will give you idea if it will work, something you could over come by turning the throttle
would be better, I just put a tie wrap round it and could slide it along to get it on or off
but was only playing to see if it worked, just be care full you don't want to dump the bike.

The zip tie method worked wonderfully! Thanks a whole bunch.

My bad, @cybmx.  I've come across too much newbies looking for shortcuts not wanting to learn proper techniques.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• 2 weeks later...
I installed an idle screw so i cam adjust mine as i see fit.
Do you have to adjust the idle after starting the bike?

I keep it around 2k and when i out practicing wheelies i bump it up. But it stays at where i adjust it to.

I cant see how you could adjust it unless the bike is running and warmed up,
but once set should stay the same as you adjust it up the ecu will try to
re-adjust it back to standard but you will reach a point were it will run
out of adjustment and then it seems it will happily behave like a normal
adjustable set up.

Archived