The MT-07 Forum

Rear wheel removal - any guide or tips?

isaac

I managed to puncture my rear wheel a second time. I would like to remove the wheel to bring it to the shop via car for a replacement.

Any instructional guide or tips for getting the wheel off? I've never pulled a wheel off before. I've got a rear swingarm stand which I'm hoping cuts it.

Thanks!

You can use the kick stand as pivot and use a jack to jack the bike up at the oil pan. I used this method to install my rear shock no problem. Remember to put something in between your jack and the oil pan to protect the finish. I used a wood block.

Anyone know offhand how the caliper hanger works? Is there a grove it slides in along? I took the wheel off and put it all back together but the caliper hanger has a slight amount of wobble and shifts when I spin the wheel in one direction, tap the brakes hard, spin the other way and brake.

If you look at the vid in the post above yours you can see on the inside of the
far swinging arm a piece of metal that slides into a slot on the calliper hnger.

I haven't had my real wheel off on my FZ07 yet, but I've had a few R6s and the rear brake caliper does slide into a groove like you described. If you study it a little you'll probably see how it goes together. In my experience, getting the caliper in the groove and then getting it to line up is really the only difficult part of removal and reinstallation of a rear wheel. I never did find an easy trick for reassembly.

The tab seems like a plain block without anything for finer fitting. There's a slight amount of wiggle room for tolerance which I am guessing is usual which allows the hanger a very slight amount of movement.

Archived