The MT-07 Forum

normal engine sound?

pjohn

Using Rotella 15w40 and Hi Filtro filter. Same stuff I've been using it my bikes for many years with zero issues.

Only 1300 miles on this bike, but the oil was changed at 200 and 600 miles. I do ride my bikes hard ( it's what I buy them for), but I'm super particular about maintenance, too. 

My riding is a 50/50 of commuting and playing. When playing, I'm pretty much constantly at half to wide open throttle and stay around the upper 75-90% of the available rev range. Bikes are performance machines IMO and I use them accordingly. I don't have chicken strips, I do flog my bikes, i like wheelies, burnouts, brake slides and occasionally letting the back walk around a corner, but I never had a mechanical failure on one my bikes in my life. I never bang rev limiters. Seem to use up a lot of chains and rear tires, though lol.  Oil changes always happen at 1500-2000 miles and oil filter changes happen every third oil change. 

I've learned to ignore all the annoying noises this bike makes. I've had the ticking noise since day one, i have over 6k miles now and  bike is still awesome 

• 9 months later...

Everyone is saying chain, but this noise is occurring when the bike is idling sooo ummm, chain🤔 🤔🤔??nah... mine does it too, pretty sure everyones does... maybe it's a yammy thing dunno I had a yfz450 back in 2004 that made the same noise and I beat the hell outta that thing and nothing ever happened. Just fun!!

On 9/25/2015 at 7:43 AM, virginiadave said:

I've noticed my bike has a ridiculous amount of "chatter". It was really bad with about 70 miles, and I noticed the chain was really, really loose. I tightened up the chain(never had a chain that loose after 70 miles)and some of the noise went away. I still hear annoying chatter a lot, especially when I give it gas in 5th or 6th gear. I guess it's normal, but I've never had a bike this noisy in my 20 years of riding. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. I'm putting on my Akra exhaust today, that should drown it out.

Dave, funny how perspectives are so different (and none incorrect); I've never had a bike this quiet!   Coming off a big bore singles (KTM 690 Duke & Enduro), I  don't think this engine is loud or vibrates at all.  Others have said the FZ sounds like a sewing machine from the factory and I couldn't hear the engine for the wind noise in my helmet so had to get a Yosh pipe.   :)  Sorry for straying off--topic...

Bigturbomax

Ive got 4,200 miles on mine. Bought it new for a good price with 90 miles on it, was demoed. Has made this same valve noise since day one. I dont worry about it. I changed oil at 600mi, 1000mi, 2,500mi and about to do it again at 5,000. Using OE recommended yamalube 10w40. I dont ride hard most of the time. So if it makes you feel any better my mostly babied bike sounds just like yours. 

Yeah thought mine was just chain splash but it happened during idle too. Runs purfect but even adjusting my chain very early, it was still audible. No worries when this whole site and others say don't worry about it. 

I know this is an old topic, but surprisingly I haven't seen anyone mention this unless I've missed it. To me the problem sounds like what the FZ/MT-09 guys were having with the cam chain. Below is a video search where most of the sounds seem like what I hear on the FZ/MT-07. I think it would be worth it if someone who is bothered by this looks into it and lets the rest of us know. I don't really have the money or technical knowledge to provide much help beyond my thoughts and searches.

FZ-09 Thread:

https://www.fz09.org/forum/32-yamaha-fz-09-guides-how-s/3595-how-install-ape-cct.html

Videos of sounds and fixes:

https://www.google.com/search?q=fz09+cam+chain&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjEsuL1yo3cAhUk2oMKHewICrwQ_AUIDCgD&biw=2560&bih=1344&dpr=1.5

• 2 weeks later...
captainkool4

I noticed this sound today when I was in low revs in first and second gear.  Seemed to disappear in higher revs and also in higher gear but low revs.  Also can hear it when in idle.

Archived