The MT-07 Forum

normal engine sound?

pjohn

hello all,

my engine makes this ticking sound not sure if this is normal. I've had the bike for 2 weeks now with just over 200 miles. i didn't pay attention how it sounded when i first got it cause i was just too excited to ride. now a bit of the excitement  has gone down and I'm slowly playing close attention to everything, hopefully its just my paranoia lol. this is my first bike and i don't have much knowledge about motorcycles. sorry for crappy video, hope it helps.

thanks! 

I have the same sound. And few others... Up to now I've been told that the ticking sound's related to antipollution system valve... I also have a rattle sound when I put on some gas but stop when I use the clutch or stop to give gas. Up to now I'm told that it's the chain and that's normal...Chain is noisy on this bike...
So for now, I clean and lube a lot the chain but still investigate on that...

But from what I know the sound you refered to is normal...

Nitro...
No matter past or future...it's always better ride now !

I have the same sound. And few others... Up to now I've been told that the ticking sound's related to antipollution system valve... I also have a rattle sound when I put on some gas but stop when I use the clutch or stop to give gas. Up to now I'm told that it's the chain and that's normal...Chain is noisy on this bike... 
So for now, I clean and lube a lot the chain but still investigate on that...

But from what I know the sound you refered to is normal...
thanks @nitro. I've been watching youtube videos  and yes seems to be normal. thanks again   

• Global Moderator

It may be the chain. I needed to adjust mine after 200 miles. It has not needed another adjustment in 4,000 miles though.

Valves/tappets they are not slated for checking for 24,000 miles ?
so likely to be set on the loose side from new, after nr 8000 miles
mine is nice and quiet, you only hear the chain and other bit as
the exhaust is so quiet, a lot of noise road and other comes up
from the front, the plastic tank covers act as a amplifier.

• Premium Member

I had a noise on mine last week and finally figured out that it was my license plate vibrating against the metal fender eliminator. Bent it up and little and no more problem.

I've noticed my bike has a ridiculous amount of "chatter". It was really bad with about 70 miles, and I noticed the chain was really, really loose. I tightened up the chain(never had a chain that loose after 70 miles)and some of the noise went away. I still hear annoying chatter a lot, especially when I give it gas in 5th or 6th gear. I guess it's normal, but I've never had a bike this noisy in my 20 years of riding. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. I'm putting on my Akra exhaust today, that should drown it out.

Lol, gotta love Google. Actually, I'm pretty sure there's a video on youtube too. It's easy to adjust. The hardest part for me was finding a 27mm socket :)

• Premium Member

Its just normal valve noise. This article should make you feel better. We have shim under bucket valves. This will prevent said shims from popping out of the bucket from excessive rotation. Also the shims may tend to last a little longer being under the bucket versus over the bucket since the cam isn't pounding down on the shim to open the valve.

http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/why-do-bikes-use-shim-under-bucket-valve-adjusters?utm_source=CJ&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=6152289&PublisherName=VigLink

Its just normal valve noise. This article should make you feel better. We have shim under bucket valves. This will prevent said shims from popping out of the bucket from excessive rotation. Also the shims may tend to last a little longer being under the bucket versus over the bucket since the cam isn't pounding down on the shim to open the valve. 
http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/why-do-bikes-use-shim-under-bucket-valve-adjusters?utm_source=CJ&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=6152289&PublisherName=VigLink
thanks @fz07fanboy, awesome read! learned again! 8-)

I've noticed my bike has a ridiculous amount of "chatter". It was really bad with about 70 miles, and I noticed the chain was really, really loose. I tightened up the chain(never had a chain that loose after 70 miles)and some of the noise went away. I still hear annoying chatter a lot, especially when I give it gas in 5th or 6th gear. I guess it's normal, but I've never had a bike this noisy in my 20 years of riding. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. I'm putting on my Akra exhaust today, that should drown it out.
Have also an annoying sound when I give gas in 4th 5th and 6th... sounds bit like an old electric shaver (kind of) but stops when stop giving it gas or when I press the clutch..  Thinking about a new exhaust too ! 

Nitro...

Have also an annoying sound when I give gas in 4th 5th and 6th... sounds bit like an old electric shaver (kind of) but stops when stop giving it gas or when I press the clutch..  Thinking about a new exhaust too ! 
Man, I can't even believe the way the bike sounds with the exhaust on it. It was soooo quiet before, like a sewing machine. It sounds so bad ass with the Akrapovic exhaust, it should come as standard equipment. Worth every penny and more. Engine chatter? What engine chatter, lol.

Man, I can't even believe the way the bike sounds with the exhaust on it. It was soooo quiet before, like a sewing machine. It sounds so bad ass with the Akrapovic exhaust, it should come as standard equipment. Worth every penny and more. Engine chatter? What engine chatter, lol.
Haaa!!  That's it ! It's on the top of my list for next spring...   Enjoy it !!!

Nitro...

im at 1450 miles and always listen to music, and today i switched to a new helm and noticed the sound. Like dang u noisy today boo.

• 1 year later...

Found this old thread while searching google on the topic. I too was curious if anyone else not only had the loud ticking valve noise, but also wondered if it had been found common for these bikes to need a premature valve adjustment? 

Coming from lots of air cooled fours with rockers arm and shim/bucket setups, and a few air cooled thumpers with double  rocker arm setups.... I am used to some valve noise, but my FZ is the loudest engine I've ever heard. 

The ticking can be heard easily from 50 or so feet away. at idle. The bike is completely silent when cold, and it progressively gets louder until full operating temp. I'm sure it is a case of the oil thinning out with heat and no longer muffling the noise/ slack as well as cold, think oil can. 

Also, listening to the rhythm, I'm almost positive I'm only hearing 1 valve ticking. If all 8 valves were equally noisy I would probably learn to deal with it.but it seems apparent to me that it's only 1 valve making a fuss.  I think maybe I have 1 valve set a tad loose from the factory, which is completely understandable. I'm really thinking about popping the valve cover off seeing what's up. I wish I had a Factory Service Manual for this bike....

Anyone ever had to service a valve or two early on? This loud ticking is driving me insane. 

oh, and the mention about some sort of emmisions valve making noise? Can anyone shed some insight on that? Since I feel like I'm only hearing one valve, perhaps that's what I'm hearing? But I'm not familiar with what that part may be.

My FZ-07 makes similar noise, and always has.

Remove the valve cover to measure if you want, but I would not be surprised to find all is just fine under there.

I wonder if it simply leaning over on the side stand has something to do with this.

I think I am going to take a look. When it's warm and ticking I can rev the bike slightly ( quick blip) and you can hear the ticking get pretty dang loud for the split second the engine is decelerating. My XR400 has rocker arms that actuate other rockers arms and it has nowhere the amount of valve slap as my FZ :( My old sohc '70's CB's had rockers and we're completely silent. If you heard a tick , you had slack- period. Same thing thing with any shim and bucket head I ever owned. I've never had to listen to valve slap. 

Tempted to take it back under warranty, but if they're setting the bikes up way loose in order to manage the lengthy maintenance schedule they're claiming for these bikes, then I don't anything would be fixed. 

I just can't see a 2017 Yamaha engine having this much valve slap. This ain't no shovelhead or Limey twin. 

I dnt kow as mine is aways sounding like
BAWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

WFO

On a more synister note, How many miles are on the bike?  What is yoru riding style (Do you cruz or are you agreesive high revver)? and most importantly what oil are you using and what type of filer including when you last changed it?

Oil has a lot to do with how that motor will sound if the tolorance of that motor are well within maintenance intervals oil may have broken down.  When my R1 gets uber hot its noisy as a band of women in a car heading to the mall.  My 07 is pretty quiet but do for a change.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Archived