Sign in to follow this  
pjohn

normal engine sound?

pjohn
hello all,

my engine makes this ticking sound not sure if this is normal. I've had the bike for 2 weeks now with just over 200 miles. i didn't pay attention how it sounded when i first got it cause i was just too excited to ride. now a bit of the excitement  has gone down and I'm slowly playing close attention to everything, hopefully its just my paranoia lol. this is my first bike and i don't have much knowledge about motorcycles. sorry for crappy video, hope it helps.

thanks! 

• Like 1

Nitro
I have the same sound. And few others... Up to now I've been told that the ticking sound's related to antipollution system valve... I also have a rattle sound when I put on some gas but stop when I use the clutch or stop to give gas. Up to now I'm told that it's the chain and that's normal...Chain is noisy on this bike...
So for now, I clean and lube a lot the chain but still investigate on that...

But from what I know the sound you refered to is normal...
  • Like 1

pjohn
I have the same sound. And few others... Up to now I've been told that the ticking sound's related to antipollution system valve... I also have a rattle sound when I put on some gas but stop when I use the clutch or stop to give gas. Up to now I'm told that it's the chain and that's normal...Chain is noisy on this bike... 
So for now, I clean and lube a lot the chain but still investigate on that...

But from what I know the sound you refered to is normal...
thanks @nitro. I've been watching youtube videos  and yes seems to be normal. thanks again   
  • Like 2

leonnerd
Yeah. It is kind of irritating but normal. I was a bit concerned when I started hearing it but then found I was not the only one.

mjh937
It may be the chain. I needed to adjust mine after 200 miles. It has not needed another adjustment in 4,000 miles though.

Guest Ralph
Valves/tappets they are not slated for checking for 24,000 miles ?
so likely to be set on the loose side from new, after nr 8000 miles
mine is nice and quiet, you only hear the chain and other bit as
the exhaust is so quiet, a lot of noise road and other comes up
from the front, the plastic tank covers act as a amplifier.

yamahappy74
I had a noise on mine last week and finally figured out that it was my license plate vibrating against the metal fender eliminator. Bent it up and little and no more problem.

Beemer

It's normal, don't worry. Knocking is what you should worry about.

stefano225
That's the sound of the engine telling  you it's running and ready to go  :D ,now go ride and enjoy that sound.
  • Like 2

virginiadave
I've noticed my bike has a ridiculous amount of "chatter". It was really bad with about 70 miles, and I noticed the chain was really, really loose. I tightened up the chain(never had a chain that loose after 70 miles)and some of the noise went away. I still hear annoying chatter a lot, especially when I give it gas in 5th or 6th gear. I guess it's normal, but I've never had a bike this noisy in my 20 years of riding. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. I'm putting on my Akra exhaust today, that should drown it out.

virginiadave
Lol, gotta love Google. Actually, I'm pretty sure there's a video on youtube too. It's easy to adjust. The hardest part for me was finding a 27mm socket :)