The MT-07 Forum

Clutch Spinning

asjkhadfg

I'm having a weird issue with my FZ. WHen I put it up on the rear stand in neutral, the bike is fine. As soon as I put the bike in 1st gear, with the clutch fully squeezed, it causes the rear tire to spin. It will continue to spin like it is fully engaged in 1st, until you stop the tire manually, or you shift into neutral. What could be causing my rear tire to spin even though the clutch is pulled in?

• Global Moderator

Cenrifugal force caused by the clutch spinning in oil
same mechanics that allow an automatic transmission to move via the torque converter

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I compared to my buddy's r6s and his did not spin like mine so I thought there might be something wrong

• Global Moderator
Thanks for the replies everyone. I compared to my buddy's r6s and his did not spin like mine so I thought there might be something wrong
I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I think that is because the R6 has a slipper clutch and we do not. 

My Futura has a Slipper clutch - the back wheel will do the same

If the R6's chain is stiff or just caked with cain lube, that might be enough to stop the automatic transmission effect that's happening inside the clutch plates - even oil brands/viscosity/synth vs. dino can come in to play

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Sure, as said repeatedly... oil drag. Cars don't run the clutch wet so this is alien to bike riders with wet clutches at first. Notice, too that the bike tends to "jump" a bit when put into first sometimes with the clutch pulled... same/same.

• 3 weeks later...

Oil is at it's most viscous ( draggy) when cold. You should find that the drag decreases or disappears as it heats up. If not may be worth checking you clutch cable tension setup first. Bolts and nuts all over these bikes being reported as too tight, too loose or stripped so worth a look just in case. I have seen one report of the clutch basket main nut not being done up properly.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived