The MT-07 Forum

Electronic cruise control? Anyone tried?

phyciocc

The speed sensor is located at the back of the engine, near the gearbox.

The speed sensor wire is white/yellow, it can be accessed more easily at the ECU end.

15 hours ago, pegasus46 said:

I ordered one from you just several months before you started this site for my FZ-09. I installed it myself and it worked great. I can get the same components for $221.00 and would willing pay that if I just new what wires to tap into. They are probably the same color on the FZ-07 but I want to be sure before I start cutting and soldering.

The guy who was making these went out of business. He was buying the cruise module from a company in Taiwan and then made wiring harnesses for the FJ-09 and FZ09 and I was selling those kits for him. I have tried to reach him since he went out of business with no luck at all. 

Did you find a way to buy more of those cruise control modules? The company in Taiwan wanted me to agree to buy 3000 of them per year. I declined that contract. 

The FZ-07 will be alot tougher to make a kit for, with the throttle set up. My guy was a wizard at it and had a very tough time rigging one for the FZ-07 he ran into all kinds of issues. 

3 hours ago, Cruizin said:

The guy who was making these went out of business. He was buying the cruise module from a company in Taiwan and then made wiring harnesses for the FJ-09 and FZ09 and I was selling those kits for him. I have tried to reach him since he went out of business with no luck at all. 

Did you find a way to buy more of those cruise control modules? The company in Taiwan wanted me to agree to buy 3000 of them per year. I declined that contract. 

The FZ-07 will be alot tougher to make a kit for, with the throttle set up. My guy was a wizard at it and had a very tough time rigging one for the FZ-07 he ran into all kinds of issues. 

I hope you can elaborate on the problems your guy encountered.

The only other problem that I for see is where to mount the control servo unit as it is 4x3x6 inches. That's too big to mount under the rear seat unless I make a new fiberglass tray. Luckily I have hard saddle bags mounted and am thinking of maybe placing it in there. In any case there are 2 more months of winter before any decent riding weather and I have to have something to do. I need to make a fiberglass radiator overflow bottle anyway.

The unit that I plan to buy is just the Rosta universal model. I can easily make any brackets etc. required.

The only problem the canbus could cause can be overcome with a canbus power distribution module that completely separates you accessory wiring from the canbus. Those unfortunately are not cheap though. While no expert I was an aircraft electrician in the army for a couple of years so at least I know how to solder.

Maybe I am over estimating  my abilities and underestimating the potential problems but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

There are a lot of wiring connections to be made but basically they are: Power and ground to handle bar switch and servo motor, tap into speed sensor, tail light circuit, clutch circuit and connect to control module.

Make mounts for the motor, and mount for the cable end to the throttle cam.

pegasus46. If you don't have ABS there is a ton of room beside the tank at the front unter the "tank covers" Even if you do I suspect it will fit in there on one side or the other.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived