suspiciouspackage

The First of Its Kind. Come Look!

suspiciouspackage
Probably not really the first time it's happened to anyone but here goes.

So I went to a job orientation today and when I got there I checked out the bike like normal and saw that the chain adjuster plate on the swingarm with the nuts and washer were missing and the bolt was bent with the swingarm possibly being a little f'ed up. When I took the cover off this morning, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, so I'm guessing it fell off while I was riding. Thing is, how? I adjusted the chain about a month ago and went on three rides before today. One of them being a semi intense ride through the canyons and nothing happened. So I was wondering, could I fix this myself? If I can how much would it be for parts and how could I even go about doing this? And if I can't, how much do you think a shop would charge?

Photos!

stefano225
Chances are you hit something while riding in the canyons and didn't realized,the nut being loose wouldn't justify the bolt being bent in my opinion.If you can adjust the chain tension on your own you could save on replacing parts and shopping online here is one http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/ .I am sure somebody else will chime in on others sites.Good luck.

Beemer
Have you pissed anyone off really bad recently? Do you have any enemies? Does your wife think you love the bike more than her? (jk) Maybe just some neighborhood punk teenagers having fun? For that bolt to be bent that bad and to the outside I would think you would remember when or how it happened because the force it would take to cause that kind of damage couldn't be ignored while riding it. Plus, the nuts are missing as well. Things that make you go hmmmm??? If you can straighten that bolt out, if the threads on it aren't ruined and get some new nuts it would probably work fine but you may want to take it to someone and have it thoroughly checked out for alignment, fractures, etc.

suspiciouspackage
Chances are you hit something while riding in the canyons and didn't realized,the nut being loose wouldn't justify the bolt being bent in my opinion.If you can adjust the chain tension on your own you could save on replacing parts and shopping online here is one http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/ .I am sure somebody else will chime in on others sites.Good luck.
I'm trying to tell myself it didn't happen in the canyons but I'm pretty sure it didn't because that was the second ride. The third ride was from me moving out of my old place and into my new one about 3 weeks ago and I remember before leaving my old place that I checked the bike from front to back because I adjusted the headlight. Unnecessary in a sense but I did it anyway. Either way, I saw nothing different. She's been sitting since then. Maybe I missed it those times I checked but I'm just fairly certain I didn't.

suspiciouspackage
Have you pissed anyone off really bad recently? Do you have any enemies? Does your wife think you love the bike more than her?
People pissed me off recently but not the opposite  (rofl) Only enemy is on the other side of the country and my girlfriend wouldn't dare touch the bike  ;)

Beemer
Have you pissed anyone off really bad recently? Do you have any enemies? Does your wife think you love the bike more than her?
People pissed me off recently but not the opposite  (rofl) Only enemy is on the other side of the country and my girlfriend wouldn't dare touch the bike  ;)
What about little thugs/vandals in the hood? Every neighborhood has them.

cndnmax
Maybe the nuts loosened up (maybe the locknut wasn't tight) then the plate came out and caught the sprocket bolts. Other than that it would have to have been something intentional.
  • Like 1

suspiciouspackage
What about little thugs/vandals in the hood? Every neighborhood has them.
Nah, the neighborhood I moved into is pretty safe and the house across the street has two supersports across the street (CBR and R6) uncovered and more in plain sight than mine. You actually can't find mine unless you go that far onto the property.

Beemer
If it isn't from vandals it's more likely that cndnmax is right if you didn't hit anything or nothing happened as you say. You probably just didn't notice the nuts slowly backing off and somehow didn't hear the plate slapping the hell out of everything. 

zombiphone
Maybe the nuts loosened up (maybe the locknut wasn't tight) then the plate came out and caught the sprocket bolts. Other than that it would have to have been something intentional.
I've had this exact thing happen on my racebike before and also seen it happen on friend's race bikes on more than one occasion. Especially if you've adjusted your chain fairly recently, all that is going to be is your locknut wasn't tight enough, came loose over time, and viola. Nothing more interesting or intense than that.  

I haven't had to do this on the FZ yet, but if it's anything like every other bike I've owned, you pull the axle, slide out the bent adjuster, and slide in a new one with a new cap and nuts. Easy.

suspiciouspackage
If it isn't from vandals it's more likely that cndnmax is right if you didn't hit anything or nothing happened as you say. You probably just didn't notice the nuts slowly backing off and somehow didn't hear the plate slapping the hell out of everything. 
I guess it's the only time wearing earplugs isn't the greatest thing in the world.

suspiciouspackage
I've had this exact thing happen on my racebike before and also seen it happen on friend's race bikes on more than one occasion. Especially if you've adjusted your chain fairly recently, all that is going to be is your locknut wasn't tight enough, came loose over time, and viola. Nothing more interesting or intense than that.  

I haven't had to do this on the FZ yet, but if it's anything like every other bike I've owned, you pull the axle, slide out the bent adjuster, and slide in a new one with a new cap and nuts. Easy.
Hopefully it is easy. Thing that really annoyed me is the (most probable) reason for how it happened. Cause I tightened it the best I could. But if I wanted to get it completely snug as in as much as I can without using loctite or something, I would've thrown my wheel out of alignment.

pattonme
There is tremendous pressure on the swing-arm, bearings, spacers such that I am surprised the plate getting tangled up in the sprocket moved anything. I'm also amazed that both nuts managed to come undone. If this is somehow endemic, buy a nyloc for the outer one and make sure to tighten it against the inboard one while holding it steady.

> I would've thrown my wheel out of alignment.

I'm not following you. First set alignment using the inboard nut. Then test tighten rear axle to say 35ft/lb and re-check. If good, then torque axle to 55-60ft/lb (personally I don't see the point of the spec calling for 76). Re-snug the inner nut - not uncommon for it to have moved. Then hold it steady with a wrench and tighten the outboard one. Should never come undone.

YZEtc
What procedure did you follow when tightening the chain adjuster nuts and the wheel axle nut?
In what order did you do this?

suspiciouspackage
I followed
. I just mirrored pretty much everything he did, minus the adjustments for my own bike.