The MT-07 Forum

R6 suspension swap

dpc46

I've tried doing the research and haven't seen a lot of info on people attempting the swap.

From what I've seen you would need the entire front assemble, forks, brakes, wheel, longer brake lines and a new (tapered?) top bearing.

I'm not 100% sure if our front wheel can be used as I've seen conflicting things. I've read that you can just use the R6 axel as it will fit in our wheel. At the same time I've read you must use the R6 wheel.

Does anyone have any more info on this? I'd love to get a list of parts to see a ball park to even see if it's worth it.

You would need the full triple tree to complete the swap. Not 100% about the center bearing.

The fork tubes on the R6 (The ones with rightside up shocks that would make the swap easy) are 43mm where as the FZ-07 is 41mm. The rear shock assembly is also uncompatible because of the resevoir being side mounted.

I have a 2000 R6 in Pieces if you want any other measurements.

typically it's best to just use the whole front-end, wheel, everything. Otherwise you have to get into the business of making shims, adapters, and what not. Yes, I too read somewhere (FZ07R project?) the 05+(?) triples/stem are compatible and just need a different upper bearing.

Stock FZ07 trail is just ridiculous.

But the key question is to figure out how long the R6 forks are vis-a-vis FZ07. If USD, they are probably shorter by a healthy amount. So all that stability improvement may go right out the window. This is not a project to be tackled casually or to expect to get away with on the cheap. Stuff comes up.

Personally I would target the 2000-04 R6 frontend as opposed to the 05+. But maybe you just prefer the USD look or want the latest technology or one style is more readily available than the other. You'll need to at least service if not respring/revalve whatever solution you choose so keep that in mind.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

because EVERY suspension needs to be overhauled every 3 years or 10000 miles give or take. Why do you change your engine oil regularly?
Sure damper rod forks can be left to rot for years on end because they are crude, but shocks and cartridge forks are 'precision' items. Oil degrades with temperatures and use.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

There isn't a whole lot of meat there to drill and tap. Might be better off drilling and putting a washer and nut on the under side.

When I get a chance I can measure the length of the piston without weight on it, and total length of the shock. I have no idea what the travel range of the piston is.

Matt, since you are the forums god of suspension knowledge, is there a way to adapt the upper and lower shock mount on the FZ-07 for a 43mm tube? If it is as simple as making something slightly bigger, or making a bushing I know a machinist who could make me something and I have no issue testing it. If you don't think it is worth the effort I will abandon the idea.

How does the underside of the upper triple look? Does it look like you would be able to drill it out when adding bar risers? 

Hey now, let's not blow my contributions out of proportion...

I presume you're asking if you can line-bore the OE triple clamps to take a 43mm stanchion? I don't have one here to look at to say if there is enough meat and if the result would be stiff enough. I would hazard the answer is no. Furthermore, given the rake/trail numbers I wouldn't. My understanding is that's the needed bearing isn't exotic or expensive. I like to live by the principle of KISS.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I have access to a lathe and drill press to be able to machine to the right size but for now I want the ability to swap back to stock if need be.

I too saw that the required upper bearing wasn't that expensive. Now it's just sourcing out a complete front end or being able to find everything for cheap.

Good luck finding cheap R6 frontends - I haven't seen any. I know it's apostasy but maybe source a GSXR front? Those seem to be plentiful and downright reasonably priced.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Might pick up one from a racer or a trackie who has swapped out for aftermarket forks?

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 1 year later...
I know the threads a tad old but does anyone know the size of the bearing that is needed? 
30 x 47  Not standard bearing, it is custom made. You can get one from TWF Racing or AP. 

• 7 months later...

From my understanding this is pretty much a direct bolt on with the custom stem bearing (see below) and holes drilled for handlebars.

Also Ive heard you can raise the back up as well too to get proper stance for racing with something like this http://www.extremecreations.com.au/mt-07-jack-up-plates 

Here's the link for bearings, I had this on my SV650 (with GSXR Swap) they work on the FZ07 as well. http://www.twfracing.com/PartsPages/steeringheadbearing.html

• 5 months later...

I searched long and hard for bearings that would work on my r1 swap. None are available with correct inside and outside dimensions. I ended up using r6 wheels will get them powder coated at some point 

Archived