The MT-07 Forum

Well, I laid her down.

No Hater

• Premium Member

Well, I finally laid her down. First and foremost, Im fine. I only have a little scratch on my left knee from touching the ground (I was only wearing jeans).  I had all my other gear on (helmet, gloves, jacket, boots).  

I did a total noob mistake. I sprayed the rims with some rim cleaner making sure not to get any on the tires. I even took the time to really wipe the tires down after I washed it just to make sure. It appears that that the inner rim still had some cleaner on it and of course sprayed outward when I left my neighborhood and got on the tire. 

I was making a U-turn at no more than 2mph, I was actually anticipating the front tire giving out in fear of this exact situation (trying not to turn too sharp) and before I knew it, the front tire slide ride out like it was on ice.  I immediately pulled the bike up, threw it in neutral and rolled her to the side of the road. It was a big intersection so a couple people stopped to see if I was okay. [/img] 

THANK YOU OES sliders!  On the down side I bent the gear shifter (of course) and the heim joint with it.  Nothing else even touched the ground. My bars or clutch lever didnt even touch. 

Overall, its a big nail in my pride, $40 mistake and some ugly lookin sliders.  Luckily for me this didn't happen at high speeds.

The cheapest I could find the gear shift lever was $30 with $10 shipping. 
http://www.stadiumyamaha.com/oemparts/partsearch/yamaha_motorcycle     (1WS-18110-00-00)
, Shift Pedal Assy

Any veterans have any tricks on cleaning the tires from any type of oil? 

• Premium Member

Glad you weren't hurt, and that's pretty minor damage. Like you said could have been worse, and I think most people who have ridden much have had similar experiences. Get 'er fixed, and jump back on!

Why can't left turners see us?

Blue Dawn dish detergent ... safe enough to get on the bike and they use it to clean fowl after a toxic oil spoil.   Just rinse well ... glad you are unscathed.

Any veterans have any tricks on cleaning the tires from any type of oil? 

Uhhh, jeans are not protective gear by any definition. Wear proper overpants.

Some of us just ride in the rain if we want to wash our bikes. *grin*

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Nothing makes a bike dirty like the rain, unfortunately.

"U-turn at no more than 2mph..."

Damn, that's a LOT of slider scraped off for such a low speed. You sure about that?

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

• Premium Member
"U-turn at no more than 2mph..." 
Damn, that's a LOT of slider scraped off for such a low speed. You sure about that?
Well, at least that is what it felt like.  It was definitely under 5 or at least as slow as I could make a uturn around a median. 

• Premium Member

Nothing makes a bike dirty like the rain, unfortunately.
I was actually cleaning from riding in the rain last. 

• Premium Member

I have over pants with armor in them, I just wasnt wearing them then. 

Little blemishes give it character, I like it. If you're not scared of a little scrape or an accident, like I'm not, don't wear armored pants, that's your decision. Just do like what jerryv said and rinse those nooks & crannies well. Then give it a quick inspection after it dries for peace of mind. 

Beemer

I use a can of spray cleaner for motorcycles all over my FZ, and my last bike. But I don't spray it on the bike, I spray it on a rag and wipe the bike down a section at a time, and then a 2nd clean rag to wipe off the remaining residue. I actually just used it last night, have been through some rain recently and got tired of seeing the dried water spots all over the dark pieces of body work. Anyway, leaves everything clean and shiny like new. No need for water or anything afterwards to rinse things off. I'm so paranoid of any cleaners getting on the tires and something like this happening to me.

Glad to hear you are ok and that the only thing damaged is a cheap fix and minor scrape on your knee. Those frame sliders already paid for themselves for you, could have been much worse without them.

spray-cleaner-polish.png

Archived