The MT-07 Forum

PAPER TOWEL INSIDE ENGINE

mrpeate

Hi

What can I say, I love my Yamaha FZ-07. I've been riding to and from work every single day rain or shine. I ripped the caution sticker off the tank and used some WD-40 to lift the adhesive from the paint... then I got carried away and pretty much covered the whole bike in WD-40... Lol.

anyway

My neighbor got himself an '03 V Star Classic 650... He rode it for one day and then experienced a no start. He tested his leads to the stator and determined that he had to replace his stator and pickup coil. He successfully replaced the parts, but neglected to use a gasket maker upon reinstallation of left side engine cover. It leaked a little, then he ordered a new gasket and used mega black rtv silicone around it. Brake clean and paper towels were used to dry and decontaminate the mating surfaces....

3 weeks later an engine squeak and a suddenly increased oil level.

:0

Paper towel everywhere inside the stator cover and most likely inside oil galleries.

My neighbor and I took both side covers off and removed the oil pump. We flushed out the introductory oil gallery, which feeds pan oil to a pickup tube, to a strainer, to the oil pump.

We can not simply remove the strainer because there is a big fat frame covering the external oil gallery / strainer cover. Way to go Yamaha engineers.

So we are waiting for a few gaskets and a clutch boss. (We broke that too)

My question is: Will paper towels damage an engine? And will seafoam dissolve/lift them from the oil galleries???

I'm flying by on my FZ-07 while he's waiting for bike parts :/

Any help or insight would save us some headache!

Thanks,

MrPeate 

• Premium Member

Yes is the short answer. it can restrict the oil flow by plugging stuff up. So lets say all the paper towel get threw and the oil filter catches it or the strainer and then one of those gets clogged and you loose your oil pressure then your engine.

At this point I'd take it to a mechanic and have them go threw it and pull it apart. Might have to juts replace some bearings.

Good luck

On a side note one of the plants I work at we lost engine because some one left a paper towel in the engine oil pan, it clogged the screen after the pick up tube then starved the engine of oil and smoked the main bearings and destroyed the $100,000 crank. 500,000 total cost to rebuild.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Does not sound good it may be cheaper to buy a second hand engine,
worth checking prices and availability, if that looks the way to
go you could always change the oil filter and give it a go but it's likely
the filter as blocked and the bypass opened allowing paper to get round
the engine, very likely the oil ways to the camshafts are blocked.

The screen filter should be inspected at a bare minimum, do a couple oil/ filter changes using light oil
And hope he got a get outa jail pass

UPDATE

we pulled the engine, was incredibly easy. And pulled out the strainer. Warning: photos may contain graphic content not suitable for motorcycle enthusiasts.

IMG_20150921_192351562_zpsk547n5hg.jpg
IMG_20150921_192405948_zpsvf04l390.jpg

Yes that is just like scraping lint out of your clothes dryer...

Engine is going back together and will hopefully run this weekend!

Pray for this bike FZF!!!

Archived